Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Hydration

Old 04-17-13, 12:25 PM
  #26  
DaveSC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The last area that I would cheap out on is hydration, I'm in South Carolina so we get some heat and humidity out here.

I use a Camelback Mule which holds 3 liters and has plenty of room for clif bars and other random junk. It was $80: https://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-M-U-L.../dp/B00437TWK0
I did a 4.5hr ride in the heat this weekend and still had ice in the bag when I got home.

One of the benefits of the Camelbak is that you can replace the bladder / hose / mouthpiece and the bag itself is very high quality so it should last for years and years.
DaveSC is offline  
Old 04-17-13, 12:35 PM
  #27  
DaveSC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
It will not void the warranty if you only put two liters, or 1.5 liters in the pack. But it you want water-it is better to have than to want.

Code:
Virus detected at - https://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/outdoors/backpacking/accident-heat-exposure.html
Hey Daspydyr that link as a virus on the site, please remove it.
DaveSC is offline  
Old 04-17-13, 04:45 PM
  #28  
Wooden Tiger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 739

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSC View Post
The last area that I would cheap out on is hydration, I'm in South Carolina so we get some heat and humidity out here.

I use a Camelback Mule which holds 3 liters and has plenty of room for clif bars and other random junk. It was $80: https://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-M-U-L.../dp/B00437TWK0
I did a 4.5hr ride in the heat this weekend and still had ice in the bag when I got home.

One of the benefits of the Camelbak is that you can replace the bladder / hose / mouthpiece and the bag itself is very high quality so it should last for years and years.
I've been taking a close look at the Mule. How do you like it, and is it a real cumbersome bag to carry?
Wooden Tiger is offline  
Old 04-17-13, 04:46 PM
  #29  
osco53
Old Fart In Training
Thread Starter
 
osco53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Wooden Tiger View Post
Usually what my wife and I do is fill our hydration pack up about 3/4 with water, freeze it, and then prior to leaving we'll fill it the rest of the way with water. This way, it usually stays cold for a while. I've found those insulated bottles don't work for crap; while they're better nothing, they're still not all that great.

I'm glad I don't live in FL because the heat and I just don't get along very well. I start feeling really sick if I'm out biking in anything more than the low 80s, regardless how much water I drink, food I eat, etc. I dunno what it is, but I just don't feel well in the heat...
Yeah the Mid day Florida heat Is intense but do-able,

You need to ease into it and be smart,
Hydration aside,

you don't ride as hard,
you take more breaks,
modify your diet far in advance, and above all else if your not having fun,

Go Home !
Turn up the A/C and crack a beer XD

I tend to hit the trails at dawn and am done by lunch time...
osco53 is offline  
Old 04-17-13, 05:19 PM
  #30  
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles
 
Daspydyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vegas Valley, NV
Posts: 5,495

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Wooden Tiger View Post
I've been taking a close look at the Mule. How do you like it, and is it a real cumbersome bag to carry?
I got my MULE at an REI garage sale for $40. I bought new tips and bleach cleaned it. It is a tad bulky. But there are times when I was glad I had the space. Rain gear, couple bottles of Lager, cigars. I always pack a good medical box. Not bandaids. 4X4 squares with tape, sterile wash and eye wash. It doesn't happen often, but when someone face plants or power slides its not pretty. That's the stuff I prepare for.
__________________
I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Daspydyr is offline  
Old 04-17-13, 05:23 PM
  #31  
DaveSC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wooden Tiger View Post
I've been taking a close look at the Mule. How do you like it, and is it a real cumbersome bag to carry?
I really like it, You can make it very small or very large depending on how much stuff you pack in it because there are straps to cinch up empty space. I have loaded it up pretty good a few times and honestly I really don't notice it when I am riding due to the way that it sits on your back. When I do short rides after work I don't put much water in it unless it's really hot and humid.

I bought one for my wife too and she loves it.
DaveSC is offline  
Old 04-17-13, 05:42 PM
  #32  
Wooden Tiger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 739

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53 View Post
Yeah the Mid day Florida heat Is intense but do-able,

You need to ease into it and be smart,
Hydration aside,

you don't ride as hard,
you take more breaks,
modify your diet far in advance, and above all else if your not having fun,

Go Home !
Turn up the A/C and crack a beer XD

I tend to hit the trails at dawn and am done by lunch time...
Good idea! The wife and I hit Orlando a few years ago in July (HUGE mistake!) and it was brutal. I love FL during the Winter months but the Summer months...NO THANKS!

Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
I got my MULE at an REI garage sale for $40. I bought new tips and bleach cleaned it. It is a tad bulky. But there are times when I was glad I had the space. Rain gear, couple bottles of Lager, cigars. I always pack a good medical box. Not bandaids. 4X4 squares with tape, sterile wash and eye wash. It doesn't happen often, but when someone face plants or power slides its not pretty. That's the stuff I prepare for.
Yeah, it'd definitely be nice to have the space for stuff.

Originally Posted by DaveSC View Post
I really like it, You can make it very small or very large depending on how much stuff you pack in it because there are straps to cinch up empty space. I have loaded it up pretty good a few times and honestly I really don't notice it when I am riding due to the way that it sits on your back. When I do short rides after work I don't put much water in it unless it's really hot and humid.

I bought one for my wife too and she loves it.
Thanks for the info! As for the size, I'm worried about being able to maneuver out on the trails. If I can't move, that's going to wind up in disaster!
Wooden Tiger is offline  
Old 04-17-13, 07:46 PM
  #33  
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder
 
Zephyr11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere between heaven and hell
Posts: 3,549

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replacing the bladder isn't unique to Camelbak. I run a North Face bladder in a GoLite Rush hydration pack. The Rush has these little pockets on the waist belt, so I can throw stuff in there I want to be able to get at fast (well, I could if I wanted to, I guess...I usually I put my keys in there, which I obviously don't need during the ride).
Zephyr11 is offline  
Old 04-20-13, 06:49 AM
  #34  
Chris_F
World's slowest cyclist.
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Londonderry, NH
Posts: 1,353

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD5 and Cannondale Rush

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 3L Osprey Raptor that very recently replaced my 2L Camelback. The Camelback was nice but the Osprey is just superior in every way. If you're thinking of the Camelback I suggest you look at the Raptor as well and decide. The Raptor just has so many nice little features that the Camelback doesn't have. The semi-rigid bladder is much easier to fill and empty, the bladder zippers in instead of having to thread the tube through, the spout is held on by a magnet instead of a clasp, the tools are held in a nice tool roll that makes using them in the wild much easier, etc.
Chris_F is offline  
Old 04-20-13, 07:30 AM
  #35  
Wooden Tiger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 739

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_F View Post
I have a 3L Osprey Raptor that very recently replaced my 2L Camelback. The Camelback was nice but the Osprey is just superior in every way. If you're thinking of the Camelback I suggest you look at the Raptor as well and decide. The Raptor just has so many nice little features that the Camelback doesn't have. The semi-rigid bladder is much easier to fill and empty, the bladder zippers in instead of having to thread the tube through, the spout is held on by a magnet instead of a clasp, the tools are held in a nice tool roll that makes using them in the wild much easier, etc.
I looked at the Osprey Raptor 14. They are real nice.
Wooden Tiger is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
rumrunn6
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
16
10-17-16 05:38 PM
yugdlo
Fifty Plus (50+)
46
06-24-13 09:01 PM
Spazum888
General Cycling Discussion
13
05-17-11 01:45 PM
Capecodder
Classic & Vintage
11
09-17-10 05:08 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.