Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Enlightenment

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Enlightenment

Old 12-02-14, 08:50 AM
  #1  
rydabent
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,472

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 886 Times in 519 Posts
Enlightenment

It is pretty much true that recumbents are ridden by older people. Isnt too bad the the enlightenment comes later in life. For me I bought my first bent in 2005, and my mountain bike and road bike really never got rode again.

It is really too bad that "real cyclist" are poisoned against bents. A lot of this is promoted by cycling magazines because they depend on DF advertisers to keep them in business. IMO 90% of recreational riders would be better off on a bent. Since comfort is the big thing about bents, they will be ridden more often an further. It happened to me. BTW I now have the best of both bent worlds, I have a LWB bent and a tadpole trike.

So much for preaching to believers.
rydabent is offline  
Old 12-02-14, 07:27 PM
  #2  
Matariki
Not quite there yet
 
Matariki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Monkey Bottom, NC
Posts: 1,000

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bought an ICE Sprint this Fall, not because I was older or looking for comfort or finding my other bikes difficult to ride. I bought it because I had too much time to browse the internet while recuperating from a fractured wrist this summer and, because I had seen a number of very neat bents on the local rails to trails, I just had to join the club. I do have to say that 1) I have not seen any bent riders younger than mid 40s, 2) the folks that want to chat about my trike generally have some grey hair, and 3) I have learned to not bring up in casual conversations at work that I bought a tricycle. Although on the other side, I went on a ride with a coworker in his 30s and we switched rides because he wanted to try the trike - had a hard time getting him to switch back. Also, pre-teen boys seem to be very impressed.

The biggest slam was when I was passed by a gentleman on a 2 wheel bent. He probably had 15 years on me. We chatted for a while and then he said," Always wanted a trike, but I am not old enough for one yet!"
Matariki is offline  
Old 12-02-14, 08:42 PM
  #3  
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Posts: 12,194

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1396 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 370 Posts
I don't see it as age-related so much as riding-style-related. Most likely my first trike will be a velomobile. For now, 2-wheelers do everything I want them to do.
BlazingPedals is offline  
Old 12-02-14, 08:54 PM
  #4  
FBOATSB 
Senior Member
 
FBOATSB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 2,096

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 263 Posts
I found myself with an indoor recumbent due to back surgery and probably will sell a couple diamond frames next spring after trying to ride one more time (to much pain) in order to finance an "actual" recumbent. Only one LBS around here dedicated to bents. I will be learning all I can here until then.
FBOATSB is offline  
Old 12-03-14, 05:55 AM
  #5  
cplager
The Recumbent Quant
 
cplager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 3,080

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I worked 3 mikes from home, I was going to get a trike to commute in the winter time. Now I ride 2 miles to the train, so I just use a regular folder most days...
cplager is offline  
Old 12-03-14, 07:51 AM
  #6  
rideaddict
Junior Member
 
rideaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: SE Michigan North of A2
Posts: 5

Bikes: Bachetta Ti Aero, Rans V-rex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not sure I'd call it enlightenment that brought me to recumbents, but rather my poor old prostate. Now, I'm sticking with recumbents as I have no neck, butt, wrist, or other body pains and I like riding with a view other than looking down at the road. Now I can see all the close calls.
rideaddict is offline  
Old 12-03-14, 11:41 AM
  #7  
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Posts: 12,194

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1396 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 370 Posts
Welcome aboard, rideaddict.
BlazingPedals is offline  
Old 12-03-14, 12:45 PM
  #8  
rideaddict
Junior Member
 
rideaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: SE Michigan North of A2
Posts: 5

Bikes: Bachetta Ti Aero, Rans V-rex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
Welcome aboard, rideaddict.
Thank you John.
rideaddict is offline  
Old 12-04-14, 09:03 PM
  #9  
Recumbomatic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 378

Bikes: 2005 Performer Toscana, RANS V3 steel, RANS Citi, Kona Hoo-Ha

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recumbency might not stem from enlightenment, but it could possibly lead to it. A scientific study showed that brain activity while cycling is very similar to meditation. (OK, ok, cycling: not strictly recumbent related!) But riding my bent is the most Zen thing I've ever done. Sit down, relax, let the energy flow, and (POOF!), five hours gone!

That is, before I got so busy with work...

Last edited by Recumbomatic; 12-04-14 at 09:09 PM.
Recumbomatic is offline  
Old 12-05-14, 08:59 AM
  #10  
Garfield Cat
Senior Member
 
Garfield Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 6,993

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 68 Times in 50 Posts
[QUOTE=Recumbomatic;17363192]Recumbency might not stem from enlightenment, but it could possibly lead to it. A scientific study showed that brain activity while cycling is very similar to meditation. (OK, ok, cycling: not strictly recumbent related!) But riding my bent is the most Zen thing I've ever done. Sit down, relax, let the energy flow, and (POOF!), five hours gone!

That is, before I got so busy with work...[/QUOTE

Have you read Thomas Merton on enlightenment? His piece on final integration. Somewhat understandable from Merton's western mindset. Not much Zen in riding, I think. More like endorphin.

In the final analysis, you're still on a lawn chair with wheels.
Garfield Cat is offline  
Old 12-05-14, 09:12 AM
  #11  
delcrossv
Senior Member
 
delcrossv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Scalarville
Posts: 1,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
In the final analysis, you're still on a lawn chair with wheels.
Yep!

That realization itself is enlightening.
delcrossv is offline  
Old 12-05-14, 09:24 PM
  #12  
Recumbomatic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 378

Bikes: 2005 Performer Toscana, RANS V3 steel, RANS Citi, Kona Hoo-Ha

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
Not much Zen in my riding, I think.
There, I fixed that for you!


Perhaps not Zen, but the brain scans in the study I mentioned show the evidence...
Recumbomatic is offline  
Old 01-27-15, 02:13 PM
  #13  
Tony Marley
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston area
Posts: 523

Bikes: Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo recumbent tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
I started riding 'bents in 1996, when in my early 40s. I continued riding upright frames as well, but the recumbents were just more fun, so I rode them more and more, and tended to go on longer rides. And it was fun to find that I was easily keeping up with riders 20 years younger than me (on flat and rolling terrain).

A year ago, I added a trike to my stable because they are fun, too. And I find that lots of people of all ages are intrigued by the trike, partly because it looks different and partly (I suspect) because I am obviously having fun when they see me riding it.
Tony Marley is offline  
Old 01-28-15, 07:54 PM
  #14  
rydabent
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,472

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 886 Times in 519 Posts
tony

I ride my LWB bent and trike about 50-50. But when on my trike when stopped I get far more questions. Most come from older people that suddenly see that a trike might be just the thing they might like to have. The local trike dealer sometimes has trouble keeping trikes in stock.

BTW as I have posted before having both a bent and a trike is the best of both worlds, since you can pick the right tool for the job at hand. The bent goes on longer ride out on the hiway, and the trike goes on the in town trails. The trike goes especially to out door events to watch. You have your own lawn chair right there with you.
rydabent is offline  
Old 01-29-15, 01:22 PM
  #15  
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Posts: 30,223

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 354 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Isnt too bad the the enlightenment comes later in life.
Well yeah, but that applies to EVERYTHING, not just bicycles.

"Too soon old, too late smart."
__________________
My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.
Retro Grouch is offline  
Old 01-29-15, 01:47 PM
  #16  
delcrossv
Senior Member
 
delcrossv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Scalarville
Posts: 1,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Well yeah, but that applies to EVERYTHING, not just bicycles.

"Too soon old, too late smart."
Not necessarily, they just need to be shown the light:

delcrossv is offline  
Old 01-29-15, 03:16 PM
  #17  
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Posts: 12,194

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1396 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 370 Posts
There are a lot of people out there that know about bents, but they don't find anything wrong with what they've got. And without a reason to change, a bent is just an expensive bike that requires a fair amount of effort to learn and acclimate to.

I do wish that more of my friends would take up lowracers so I'd have better riding partners.
BlazingPedals is offline  
Old 01-29-15, 03:33 PM
  #18  
delcrossv
Senior Member
 
delcrossv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Scalarville
Posts: 1,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
There are a lot of people out there that know about bents, but they don't find anything wrong with what they've got. And without a reason to change, a bent is just an expensive bike that requires a fair amount of effort to learn and acclimate to.
I sometimes marvel at the folks that can do long distances perched on a DF saddle. If it works for them, great, they're out and riding. Seems though, that there's an awful lot of threads on saddle discomfort: numb hands, wrists , privates etc. For those folks, it's evidently not working and I suspect a lot of them wind up not riding.

I really try to avoid posting in those threads, because for some reason, an obviously effective solution is not welcome for consideration.
delcrossv is offline  
Old 01-30-15, 10:23 AM
  #19  
rydabent
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,472

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 886 Times in 519 Posts
del

Your point is well taken. There is a significant number of threads on saddles and all their attendent problems. What I find funny is all the treads that promise perfect comfort if you only have an expensive fitting done at a bike shop.
rydabent is offline  
Old 01-30-15, 10:42 AM
  #20  
delcrossv
Senior Member
 
delcrossv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Scalarville
Posts: 1,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
del

Your point is well taken. There is a significant number of threads on saddles and all their attendent problems. What I find funny is all the treads that promise perfect comfort if you only have an expensive fitting done at a bike shop.
Well, in fairness, it works- for some. For others no, and they wind up throwing in the towel.
delcrossv is offline  
Old 01-31-15, 11:52 AM
  #21  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 21,360

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,354 Posts
I can ride a hundred on a bent or a DF. Makes no difference to me.
__________________

-Dennis T







Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 01-31-15, 04:14 PM
  #22  
delcrossv
Senior Member
 
delcrossv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Scalarville
Posts: 1,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
I can ride a hundred on a bent or a DF. Makes no difference to me.
Good for you!
delcrossv is offline  
Old 01-31-15, 04:40 PM
  #23  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 21,360

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,354 Posts
Originally Posted by delcrossv View Post
Good for you!
I just trade one ache for another. A hundred miles on a bent gives me rotator cuff soreness and a DF gives me slight lower back pain. Neither hurts my neck or bottom. Lucky, I guess.

Did seven centuries last year, two on a lowracer, one on a trike and four on an upright. All were enjoyable.
__________________

-Dennis T








Last edited by Trsnrtr; 01-31-15 at 04:44 PM.
Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 01-31-15, 05:08 PM
  #24  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 21,360

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,354 Posts
Anyway, since I ride both, I get subjected to prejudice on both sides. Roadies don't understand bents and bent riders don't understand upright riders.

Let's all look down on scooter people.
__________________

-Dennis T







Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 01-31-15, 07:35 PM
  #25  
cplager
The Recumbent Quant
 
cplager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 3,080

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
Anyway, since I ride both, I get subjected to prejudice on both sides. Roadies don't understand bents and bent riders don't understand upright riders.
People are looking down on you because you're riding a low rider...

cplager is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.