Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Speedplay Vs. SPD-SL

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Speedplay Vs. SPD-SL

Old 02-16-17, 02:59 PM
  #1  
topslop1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
topslop1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,424
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Speedplay Vs. SPD-SL

Why should I only spend a total of $60 on SPD-SL setup when Speedplays look boss, like BOSS DAWG, boss.

Tell me why they look so cool and how much more pro they are.

Thanks for helping me convince myself that they're legit.
topslop1 is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 03:06 PM
  #2  
kc0bbq
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,114

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topslop1 View Post
Why should I only spend a total of $60 on SPD-SL setup when Speedplays look boss, like BOSS DAWG, boss.

Tell me why they look so cool and how much more pro they are.

Thanks for helping me convince myself that they're legit.
Pros take care of their stuff, and the Speedplay pedals are easy to lube. Shimano pedals are for people who leave their chain dry to rust after riding in the rain.
kc0bbq is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 03:07 PM
  #3  
topslop1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
topslop1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,424
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kc0bbq View Post
Pros take care of their stuff, and the Speedplay pedals are easy to lube. Shimano pedals are for people who leave their chain dry to rust after riding in the rain.
Speed plays require more upkeep? From engineering standpoint it looks like a sleek TESLA vs. a ShimanoPinto.
topslop1 is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 03:11 PM
  #4  
Tunnelrat81
Senior Member
 
Tunnelrat81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing is more pro than cycling related overuse injuries...and because speedplay pedals allow more free float, they can often prevent these injuries. So in this particular case, I'd have to give shimano the edge on the pro scale.

-Jeremy
Tunnelrat81 is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 03:16 PM
  #5  
topslop1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
topslop1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,424
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tunnelrat81 View Post
Nothing is more pro than cycling related overuse injuries...and because speedplay pedals allow more free float, they can often prevent these injuries. So in this particular case, I'd have to give shimano the edge on the pro scale.

-Jeremy
Pedal & Cleat maintenance though. That's twice as spice.
topslop1 is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 03:20 PM
  #6  
gsindela
Senior Member
 
gsindela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Geneva, IL
Posts: 361

Bikes: 2015 Storck Scenero G3 (Force 22)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is the weight comparison? I know speedplay are about 100 grams, but the cleat is also 100 grams, roughly. What is the weight of the Ultegra pedal plus it's cleat??
gsindela is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 03:22 PM
  #7  
joejack951
Senior Member
 
joejack951's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 11,988

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Tunnelrat81 View Post
Nothing is more pro than cycling related overuse injuries...and because speedplay pedals allow more free float, they can often prevent these injuries. So in this particular case, I'd have to give shimano the edge on the pro scale.
Then again, nothing is more pro than an item needing constant maintenance and failing because you walked off the paved road.

'Pro' edge: Speedplay
joejack951 is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 03:24 PM
  #8  
topslop1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
topslop1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,424
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by joejack951 View Post
Then again, nothing is more pro than an item needing constant maintenance and failing because you walked off the paved road.

'Pro' edge: Speedplay
Road bike, road cleat, road feet, GOT IT.
topslop1 is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 03:32 PM
  #9  
joejack951
Senior Member
 
joejack951's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 11,988

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by gsindela View Post
What is the weight comparison? I know speedplay are about 100 grams, but the cleat is also 100 grams, roughly. What is the weight of the Ultegra pedal plus it's cleat??
Unless you buy the special 4-hole Speedplay shoes or spend a large sum of money for the titanium axles, the weight is a wash. My Ultegra 6800 pedals with cleats and all hardware weigh 330 grams. A Zero Chromoly pair with 3-hole hardware weighs 334 grams according to Speedplay. 4-hole is down to 286 grams.

Cost per year to operate is very much in Shimano's favor. You could get back a lot of weight savings working a few extra hours instead of maintaining your Speedplay pedals (or buying new cleats) and purchase some weight weenies parts for your bike with the earnings
joejack951 is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 03:33 PM
  #10  
kc0bbq
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,114

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951 View Post
Then again, nothing is more pro than an item needing constant maintenance and failing because you walked off the paved road.

'Pro' edge: Speedplay
No one ever mentioned cyclocross. They are pedals for cycling, not for people who think it's better to get a perfectly serviceable bike and then carry it around in the mud instead of riding it.
kc0bbq is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 03:40 PM
  #11  
zymphad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,539

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SPD-SL can't be that bad considering that platform is being replicated by everyone but speedplay. Not to say that means it's better, but it can't be that bad.
zymphad is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 04:10 PM
  #12  
ARPRINCE
Senior Member
 
ARPRINCE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 38° 53' 51.635" N 77° 2' 11.507" W
Posts: 805

Bikes: Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^^ Didn't Shimano copy that style from LOOK?
ARPRINCE is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 04:14 PM
  #13  
reggieray
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got nasty hot spots in the balls of my feet from Speedplays. Roughly eight hours into my first double century I had to step off the bike for a while and stand there while the pressure hot spots receded.
reggieray is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 04:15 PM
  #14  
reggieray
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also that was after the Speedplay cleats sheared off my shoe 45 miles into that ride and I had to wait for a very nice volunteer to drive to a nearby bike shop and bring back a new pair of cleats.

No issues with any SPDs at all so far.
reggieray is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 04:21 PM
  #15  
gsindela
Senior Member
 
gsindela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Geneva, IL
Posts: 361

Bikes: 2015 Storck Scenero G3 (Force 22)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951 View Post
Unless you buy the special 4-hole Speedplay shoes or spend a large sum of money for the titanium axles, the weight is a wash. My Ultegra 6800 pedals with cleats and all hardware weigh 330 grams. A Zero Chromoly pair with 3-hole hardware weighs 334 grams according to Speedplay. 4-hole is down to 286 grams.

Cost per year to operate is very much in Shimano's favor. You could get back a lot of weight savings working a few extra hours instead of maintaining your Speedplay pedals (or buying new cleats) and purchase some weight weenies parts for your bike with the earnings
Great info. Thanks!
gsindela is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 05:18 PM
  #16  
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria
 
Succhia Ruota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Dunwoody, GA
Posts: 257

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Your bike will look more pro, which will make more people want to steal it, but they won't be able to, because, well, who can pedal on those tiny lollipops?
Succhia Ruota is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 07:10 PM
  #17  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 14,783

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6831 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by reggieray View Post
I got nasty hot spots in the balls of my feet from Speedplays. Roughly eight hours into my first double century I had to step off the bike for a while and stand there while the pressure hot spots receded.

Originally Posted by reggieray View Post
Also that was after the Speedplay cleats sheared off my shoe 45 miles into that ride and I had to wait for a very nice volunteer to drive to a nearby bike shop and bring back a new pair of cleats.

No issues with any SPDs at all so far.

If cleats sheared off the shoes then there was something wrong the shoes or the cleats were not installed correctly. Whatever it was probably caused the hot spots as well.


-Tim-
TimothyH is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 07:47 PM
  #18  
reggieray
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
If cleats sheared off the shoes then there was something wrong the shoes or the cleats were not installed correctly. Whatever it was probably caused the hot spots as well.

-Tim-
It was the four-screw piece that sheared off the three-bolt black piece. They were over-tightened and/or way worn out, obviously. I was riding 300+ miles every week getting ready for that double century.

Cleat position may have been off enough to cause the hot spots, though you could make the argument that it was pedaling for ten hours that was the real cause.

The Shimano pedals and cleats are bigger which spreads the pressure over a bigger surface. They have been fine so far. I'll find out at Alta Alpina in June exactly how fine.
reggieray is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 08:01 PM
  #19  
topslop1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
topslop1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,424
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
any positive feedback from them?
topslop1 is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 08:01 PM
  #20  
reggieray
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From whom?
reggieray is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 10:57 PM
  #21  
gl98115
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thems are THE BOSS!
gl98115 is offline  
Old 02-17-17, 05:36 AM
  #22  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 4,407

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1624 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951 View Post
Unless you buy the special 4-hole Speedplay shoes or spend a large sum of money for the titanium axles, the weight is a wash. My Ultegra 6800 pedals with cleats and all hardware weigh 330 grams. A Zero Chromoly pair with 3-hole hardware weighs 334 grams according to Speedplay. 4-hole is down to 286 grams.

Cost per year to operate is very much in Shimano's favor. You could get back a lot of weight savings working a few extra hours instead of maintaining your Speedplay pedals (or buying new cleats) and purchase some weight weenies parts for your bike with the earnings
I wonder about this. I change out the cleats on my SPD-L shoes a lot more often than my 2 buddies do on their Speedplays. Speedplay cleats are $40 vs. Shimano $30
Steve B. is offline  
Old 02-17-17, 07:03 AM
  #23  
joejack951
Senior Member
 
joejack951's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 11,988

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
I wonder about this. I change out the cleats on my SPD-L shoes a lot more often than my 2 buddies do on their Speedplays. Speedplay cleats are $40 vs. Shimano $30
The highest price I could find for SPD-SL cleats is $25. Most sites are well under $20. And my SPD-SL cleats have lasted many thousands of miles for me. How quickly are you wearing out yours?
joejack951 is offline  
Old 02-17-17, 08:07 AM
  #24  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 29,989

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13087 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,344 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951 View Post
The highest price I could find for SPD-SL cleats is $25. Most sites are well under $20. And my SPD-SL cleats have lasted many thousands of miles for me. How quickly are you wearing out yours?
I'd bet that most SP cleats are replaced when the plate and screws securing the retaining clip are ground down through walking as opposed to being worn out through use (un/clipping and pedaling). If you're not walking around on the metal plate/screws (by using cafe covers, keep on covers, SP's new walkable cleats, etc) they'll last a long, long time.

Also, I think that the maintenance of SP is often overstated and mostly by people that don't use them. A squeeze of grease in the pedals once in a while and a puff of dry lube on the cleats is easily and quickly done.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 02-17-17, 09:01 AM
  #25  
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria
 
Succhia Ruota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Dunwoody, GA
Posts: 257

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I'd bet that most SP cleats are replaced when the plate and screws securing the retaining clip are ground down through walking as opposed to being worn out through use (un/clipping and pedaling). If you're not walking around on the metal plate/screws (by using cafe covers, keep on covers, SP's new walkable cleats, etc) they'll last a long, long time.

Also, I think that the maintenance of SP is often overstated and mostly by people that don't use them. A squeeze of grease in the pedals once in a while and a puff of dry lube on the cleats is easily and quickly done.
Agree with all this 1000% ^^
Succhia Ruota is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.