Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dirt cheap power meter

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Dirt cheap power meter

Old 04-05-19, 09:36 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 20
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dirt cheap power meter

Lets say for the point of argument someone invented a $68 power meter. Do you think a lot of people would buy this, or are power meters just for fanatics.
smackpotato is offline  
Old 04-05-19, 09:41 AM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Depends on accuracy and durability. Having worked in the power-meter industry....Both of those would be difficult to come by at $68.
saverin is offline  
Old 04-05-19, 10:04 AM
  #3  
Newbie racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,406

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Liked 1,571 Times in 974 Posts
Seeing how much $200 Rapha I see on club riders, I'd say yes, yes they would.

Would a company be able to achieve $68 (why $68 I ask, why not $65 or $75)? Probably not.

Knowing what I know, I would be highly skeptical of a $68 meter.
burnthesheep is offline  
Old 04-05-19, 10:05 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,208
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
If somebody made a $68 power meter that was legit, it would start being included with most bikes. The data can be useful to just about anyone. Dieters would love it. Bike companies would have another selling point at first, and then not want to fall behind.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 04-05-19, 10:26 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 613

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Liked 140 Times in 75 Posts
Realistically, if it's inaccurate, bulky, or heavy, there's already a dozen phone apps and connect IQ apps that estimate power probably to a better degree then a $68 device would. Even Strava has a fairly decent estimate option that I'm sure most of you are aware of.

However, if your argument is "If there's a new power meter that is essentially a Quarq in terms of accuracy, reliability, battery, and so forth, but it's only $68 dollars, would you buy it?" then the answer is prettty obvious.
firebird854 is offline  
Old 04-05-19, 11:10 AM
  #6  
Perceptual Dullard
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,497
Liked 1,235 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by smackpotato
Lets say for the point of argument someone invented a $68 power meter. Do you think a lot of people would buy this, or are power meters just for fanatics.
You know what would be even better? Let's say for the point of argument someone invented a free power meter. That would be better.
RChung is offline  
Old 04-05-19, 11:19 AM
  #7  
Sophomore Member
 
Lemond1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,530
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
As expensive as these units currently are, I'm 100% certain there will be cheap knockoffs at some point, as happened with GoPro cameras.
Lemond1985 is offline  
Old 04-05-19, 12:33 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,208
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
You know what would be even better? Let's say for the point of argument someone invented a free power meter. That would be better.
A physicist, a mathematician, and a biologist are enjoying a beer after work. They watch two people go into a building across the street, and a little while later three come out.

The biologist says "how cute, they're reproducing!"

The physicist replies "you idiot, we probably miscounted."

Under his breath, the mathematician says "if one more person goes in that building, it'll be empty again."
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 04-05-19, 12:50 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 27,550
Liked 4,574 Times in 3,398 Posts
The IQ2 power meter is listed at €129 for one foot.

https://www.iqsquare.com/

They aren't shipping yet, but assuming they get their current issues resolved, they could be shipping by mid-summer.

I think there was a crank strain gauge kit that also came out cheap initially, but has now become a more commercial product, and more expensive. Was that Stages?

But, no doubt, more will enter the market, especially if production can be simplified (which is what IQ2 was trying to do).

XPedo had done some initial development on a power meter, but seems to have not released it yet.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 04-05-19, 01:03 PM
  #10  
Perceptual Dullard
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,497
Liked 1,235 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
A physicist, a mathematician, and a biologist are enjoying a beer after work. They watch two people go into a building across the street, and a little while later three come out.

The biologist says "how cute, they're reproducing!"

The physicist replies "you idiot, we probably miscounted."

Under his breath, the mathematician says "if one more person goes in that building, it'll be empty again."
How about a power meter they paid you to use? Plus, a pony.
RChung is offline  
Old 04-05-19, 02:25 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,208
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
How about a power meter they paid you to use? Plus, a pony.
That's what brought the joke to mind. OP said $68, you said $0, the only option now is to go negative!

​​​​​
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 04-06-19, 05:46 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Hollister, CA (not the surf town)
Posts: 1,761

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Liked 1,604 Times in 571 Posts
with the advances going on with mems sensors and wireless connectivity, I could see a time in the not too distant future where power meters would be built into even mid level bikes.

They could probably do it now but the market isn’t big enough to bother. The company’s doing that sort of thing are concentrating on the automotive market.
Ogsarg is offline  
Old 04-06-19, 06:40 AM
  #13  
Super Modest
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 23,593

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Liked 4,806 Times in 2,190 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
You know what would be even better? Let's say for the point of argument someone invented a free power meter. That would be better.
I’ll take two if you endorse them.

Seriously, I don’t think a $68 PM is ready for prime time.
__________________
Keep the chain tight!








Last edited by Trsnrtr; 04-06-19 at 06:49 AM.
Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 04-06-19, 08:13 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Posts: 1,221

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
So, only fanatics would pay more than $68?
Riveting is offline  
Old 04-06-19, 08:57 AM
  #15  
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Posts: 21,855

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 944 Times in 623 Posts
I bought a used PowerTap wheel, wires, head unit etc for $150.
Works fine.
If it breaks, I still have a usable wheel.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 04-06-19, 11:23 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 27,550
Liked 4,574 Times in 3,398 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
with the advances going on with mems sensors and wireless connectivity, I could see a time in the not too distant future where power meters would be built into even mid level bikes.
Cannondale Bikes Now Sold w/PowerMeters
https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...1-f1376487398f

Buy certain Cannondale bikes, and get a FREE power meter.

Just one catch. The thing won't work unless you pay an extra 490 €.

One has to wonder, though, what percent of buyers are actually forking out that extra dough. 50%?

For the program to be effective, the actual wholesale cost of the power meters would have to be awfully cheap. $100?
CliffordK is offline  
Old 04-06-19, 11:35 AM
  #17  
Heft On Wheels
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 3,123

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I bought a used PowerTap wheel, wires, head unit etc for $150.
Works fine.
If it breaks, I still have a usable wheel.
I purchased a Powertap C1 chain ring power meter for the same reason. $350 and a bolt on application. If it would ever fail I will just run it till the rings are shot and move on. I have had no issues though after 2 years. Great product!
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 04-07-19, 03:37 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Racing Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,236
Liked 321 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by smackpotato
Lets say for the point of argument someone invented a $68 power meter. Do you think a lot of people would buy this, or are power meters just for fanatics.
Id get one, if it worked. To be honest I have wondered for some time why powermeters are expensive items. Its "just" one or more strain gauges, like you find in an electronic kitchen scale.
Racing Dan is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
shelbyfv
Road Cycling
2
11-28-17 07:09 PM
whitemax
Road Cycling
44
06-17-17 01:23 PM
Thomas90
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs
1
04-29-16 12:43 PM
gpshay
Fifty Plus (50+)
19
01-21-13 02:11 PM
NEUROSPORT
Road Cycling
18
05-31-10 10:41 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.