Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strava-local legends

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Strava-local legends

Old 07-19-20, 04:58 PM
  #1  
bonsai171
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 38 Posts
Strava-local legends

So the Strava local legends feature has just been rolled out here in GA. Not sure it is really important to me, but I'm wondering how the segments are chosen as not all segments I've seen have local legends.

Dave
bonsai171 is offline  
Old 07-19-20, 05:36 PM
  #2  
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Off the front
Posts: 323

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 361 Times in 142 Posts
Seems like there needs to be at least a good 10+ unique riders before it gets that eligibility, because I have dozens of rides of segments that I've ridden 20, 30+ more times than anyone else, ever, and I'm NOT the LL. Then there are a few that I've ridden about 3-4 times in the last 90 days, and I'm famous, according to Strava. Go figure... I really don't care, but it's a puzzle nonetheless.
AdkMtnMonster is offline  
Old 07-19-20, 07:19 PM
  #3  
justonwo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 197

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2020 S-Works Roubaix (Zipp 303 NSW), 2020 Canyon Ultimate Evo 10.0 (DT Swiss DICUT 1100), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2018 S-Works Camber, 2019 S-Works Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 32 Posts
It's one of the recent features they've rolled out that gets a universal eye-roll from just about everyone I know. I find that it's a distraction from the simplicity of a conventional leaderboard. I don't know anyone that judges their ride by how frequently they visit a certain segment. In fact, most of us try to mix things up specifically to avoid the same old ride. I get that it helps broaden Strava's appeal, but I think it's kind of silly. Even the name is hyperbolic.
justonwo is offline  
Old 07-19-20, 07:27 PM
  #4  
mcours2006
Senior Member
 
mcours2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 5,946

Bikes: Giant Rapid, Bianchi Advantage, Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Gardin Quatro, Norco Threshold, Raleigh Serengheti MTB

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 112 Posts
It's absolutely stupid. I commute the same route a few hundred times a year, and there are a few segments on that route. So I'm the 'local legend' on these segments. Big deal.
mcours2006 is offline  
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 07-19-20, 07:58 PM
  #5  
dr_max
Senior Member
 
dr_max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 378

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster View Post
Seems like there needs to be at least a good 10+ unique riders before it gets that eligibility, because I have dozens of rides of segments that I've ridden 20, 30+ more times than anyone else, ever, and I'm NOT the LL. Then there are a few that I've ridden about 3-4 times in the last 90 days, and I'm famous, according to Strava. Go figure... I really don't care, but it's a puzzle nonetheless.
so I guess Strava will not make you jump on the subscriber pool
dr_max is offline  
Old 07-19-20, 08:02 PM
  #6  
bonsai171
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
It's one of the recent features they've rolled out that gets a universal eye-roll from just about everyone I know. I find that it's a distraction from the simplicity of a conventional leaderboard. I don't know anyone that judges their ride by how frequently they visit a certain segment. In fact, most of us try to mix things up specifically to avoid the same old ride. I get that it helps broaden Strava's appeal, but I think it's kind of silly. Even the name is hyperbolic.
Have to agree. There is a descent near my house that is a segment and I almost have to ride it to get home. I would much rather have a KOM than a local legend. Just curious what the method is to the madness. Seems like the segments are almost picked randomly. I try to mix up my rides often and rarely ride the same route, so if I become the local legend maybe that will mean my riding has stagnated and it's time to create new routes lol.

Dave
bonsai171 is offline  
Old 07-19-20, 08:07 PM
  #7  
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 14,884

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4326 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 526 Posts
It's cute. Candy for the OC's.
Would be nice to have an opt out option. Some of us only have one route out of the neighborhood.

I'd rather see a feature to track who has the highest average speed in past 3mo over >5 attempt on different days.
noisebeam is online now  
Old 07-19-20, 08:15 PM
  #8  
cybirr 
Beer & Bikes
 
cybirr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 79

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 21 Posts
It's underdeveloped feature released before it's ready (assuming Strava marketing ever knew what it was for). It's barely functional under the various smartphone OS and absent from computer/web based use. And of course the non-existent tablet version of Strava. As DC Rainmaker pointed out, Local Legends is your reward for failing to to get a KOM.
cybirr is offline  
Old 07-19-20, 08:43 PM
  #9  
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Off the front
Posts: 323

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 361 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_max View Post
so I guess Strava will not make you jump on the subscriber pool

Je suis déjà abonné.
AdkMtnMonster is offline  
Old 07-20-20, 03:44 PM
  #10  
BritishV8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 101

Bikes: 1979 Bridgestone SkyWay, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 2002 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 2018 Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006 View Post
It's absolutely stupid. I commute the same route a few hundred times a year, and there are a few segments on that route. So I'm the 'local legend' on these segments. Big deal.
In Agile software development, features are typically released in a form that's barely usable. Then, they're incrementally refined and enhanced through subsequent software releases. Feedback from users drives the definition and prioritization of improvements. But sometimes, premature negative feedback causes abandonment of a feature with really great potential. If you have ideas for how Local Legends might evolve into something cool... why not propose them? (How could Strava be more interesting or valuable for commuters?)

If there are other features you'd like Strava's developers to focus on instead, advocate for them. Being negative won't help Strava improve.

Last edited by BritishV8; 07-20-20 at 03:49 PM.
BritishV8 is offline  
Old 07-20-20, 08:21 PM
  #11  
mcours2006
Senior Member
 
mcours2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 5,946

Bikes: Giant Rapid, Bianchi Advantage, Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Gardin Quatro, Norco Threshold, Raleigh Serengheti MTB

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by BritishV8 View Post
In Agile software development, features are typically released in a form that's barely usable. Then, they're incrementally refined and enhanced through subsequent software releases. Feedback from users drives the definition and prioritization of improvements. But sometimes, premature negative feedback causes abandonment of a feature with really great potential. If you have ideas for how Local Legends might evolve into something cool... why not propose them? (How could Strava be more interesting or valuable for commuters?)

If there are other features you'd like Strava's developers to focus on instead, advocate for them. Being negative won't help Strava improve.
I don't know what yet-to-be-added features I'd like, cuz frankly I don't give much thought about it, but I do know I don't like this one. Feedback is feedback, whether negative or positive, and both can help developers refine their product.

Frankly, the local legend bs is embarrassing and cringe-worthy.
mcours2006 is offline  
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 07-20-20, 08:24 PM
  #12  
dr_max
Senior Member
 
dr_max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 378

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006 View Post
I don't know what yet-to-be-added features I'd like, cuz frankly I don't give much thought about it, but I do know I don't like this one. Feedback is feedback, whether negative or positive, and both can help developers refine their product.

Frankly, the local legend bs is embarrassing and cringe-worthy.
turn by turn itinerary
to become a local legend
dr_max is offline  
Old 07-20-20, 08:29 PM
  #13  
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 14,884

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4326 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 526 Posts
The name itself is terrible. Better something like Local Obsessive.
noisebeam is online now  
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 07-20-20, 08:34 PM
  #14  
mcours2006
Senior Member
 
mcours2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 5,946

Bikes: Giant Rapid, Bianchi Advantage, Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Gardin Quatro, Norco Threshold, Raleigh Serengheti MTB

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
The name itself is terrible. Better something like Local Obsessive.
Or Frequent Flyer. I'd setting for that.
mcours2006 is offline  
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 07-20-20, 08:41 PM
  #15  
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 14,884

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4326 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 526 Posts
Yeah, that is perfect.
noisebeam is online now  
Old 07-20-20, 08:50 PM
  #16  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 37,304

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 662 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14224 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 345 Posts
I want to be a legend.
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 02:34 AM
  #17  
Kabuki12
Senior Member
 
Kabuki12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ventura County ,California
Posts: 1,148

Bikes: 1973 Windsor Profesional,1976 Kabuki diamond formula with full Campy, 1977 Raleigh Competition GS , 1971 Stella original Campy equip. 1978 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1972 Italvega Gran Rally ,1972 Super Mondia Special,Medici Pro Strada

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 213 Posts
I got one for a ride I do regularly and wasn’t quite sure what it was.
Kabuki12 is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 02:42 AM
  #18  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,681

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3706 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 859 Posts
I have a few of those "local legend" things on my usual route. It's cycling's saddest trophy. Nothing tells the world "I'm an unimaginative drone who rides the same boring route every day... slowly" like Local Legend.
canklecat is online now  
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-21-20, 06:51 AM
  #19  
dr_max
Senior Member
 
dr_max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 378

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I have a few of those "local legend" things on my usual route. It's cycling's saddest trophy. Nothing tells the world "I'm an unimaginative drone who rides the same boring route every day... slowly" like Local Legend.
It made me discover a cyclist that is doing the same 20 km loop over again in the country side instead of doing the nice 90 km ride that goes around the mountain. I was surprised someone would do that
dr_max is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 07:50 AM
  #20  
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 8,460

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4817 Post(s)
Liked 1,552 Times in 875 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I have a few of those "local legend" things on my usual route. It's cycling's saddest trophy. Nothing tells the world "I'm an unimaginative drone who rides the same boring route every day... slowly" like Local Legend.
Originally Posted by dr_max View Post
It made me discover a cyclist that is doing the same 20 km loop over again in the country side instead of doing the nice 90 km ride that goes around the mountain. I was surprised someone would do that
So y'all are alright with denigrating people just because they ride loops, or cover the same routes multiple times? How very elitist of you both.
Just think of how boring racing must be, where people cover the exact same ground dozens of times in one day.
We have an area locally called the Sunset Loop, some guys will lap it 20 times a week, and they're faster than all of us combined.
I've ridden the same 50km route at least once a week for all of 2020. I have a 3.5 mile lap around the neighborhood that I've covered over 350 times since I started cycling.
There are only 6 segments in that 3.5 mile lap, and I only have 3 of the KOMs (plus two 2nds and a disappointing 13/2,449.) Just covering that same loop slowly.
__________________
DrIsotope is offline  
Likes For DrIsotope:
Old 07-21-20, 08:58 AM
  #21  
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 14,884

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4326 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 526 Posts
For those who ride from the front door, many will become LL for that segment that takes you out of the neighborhood.

Short loops are good if you don't want to get too far from home.
noisebeam is online now  
Old 07-21-20, 09:55 AM
  #22  
SurferCyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Pembrokeshire, UK
Posts: 64

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 16 Posts
Yeah well sorry but I'm also in the camp that the Local Legend thing is just a bit of a crap Strava gimmick designed to take heat off them after all the negative comments from users after they changed the free/subscriber user access.
SurferCyclist is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 10:27 AM
  #23  
colnago62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,042
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
For those who ride from the front door, many will become LL for that segment that takes you out of the neighborhood.

Short loops are good if you don't want to get too far from home.
I live in an area that, due to the pandemic, not all public restrooms are open and all fast food is drive thru only. I do a lot of loops close to home.
colnago62 is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 10:38 AM
  #24  
cb400bill
Inoxidable Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 18,188

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1, Cannondale Synapse, Trek 710

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1972 Post(s)
Liked 1,400 Times in 858 Posts
Someone from the Big Ten conference must have named this.
cb400bill is offline  
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 07-21-20, 10:46 AM
  #25  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 30,632

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 337 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13579 Post(s)
Liked 2,845 Times in 1,528 Posts
I'm not particularly interested in attaining a Local Legend status (don't even know what segments around me qualify), but I don't see getting undies ruffled over the feature, either. If they were selective, as in actual, local humans having input on which segments qualify, I could see it being a cool feature - maybe it's a particular climbs, or well-traveled and hotly contested segments - but if segments are qualifying willy-nilly via algorithms, I think that the significance is going to be hit and miss.
WhyFi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.