Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Handlebar question

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Handlebar question

Old 03-26-21, 04:57 AM
  #1  
barnie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Handlebar question

Hi all

I tried searching the forums but came up with nothing.

Fact is, I'm looking for a handlebar, that doesn't seem to exist anymore. What I'm hoping for:

1) Width= 38cm or 40cm
2) Reach between 70 and 80mm
3) Drop less that 135mm
4) Oversize tops i.e. 31.8mm across the bar
5) Traditional/Italian bend.
6) Aluminium (preferably black)

I've come up with the following so far
1) Deda Zero 100 shallow
2) Ritchey WCS Neoclassic

Both of them tapers down to 25.4mm mid-tops, but ticks the other boxes.

The now discontinued 3t Superleggera Team had the top I'm looking for, but it's carbon and drop and reach is too much.

Does anyone know of a handlebar - present og discontinued - that ticks all boxes?

Cheers
barnie is offline  
Old 03-26-21, 09:30 AM
  #2  
Iride01
Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 7,031

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 1,374 Times in 1,003 Posts
I've never noticed any that were the same diameter all throughout the tube except for ones that are smaller diameters. But likely just me. I know they might be out there.

Specialized makes some nice drop bars too that fall within your other specs. And in price ranges from 40 to 250 USD.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sh...e:Drop$2520Bar

Though they all may be in that freighter tying up traffic in the Suez Canal.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 03-26-21, 09:42 AM
  #3  
base2 
Random Internet Person.
 
base2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,598

Bikes: 5 good ones, and the occasional project.

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 242 Posts
For whatever reason: FSA Omega comes to mind. I'm not going to do the research for you. They might not be curvey enough between the hoods & the tops for you though.

FSA bars are 2 cm narrower center to center than their width specification suggests. So a 40cm wide bar is 38cm actual.

Good luck with your search.

Edit: I did go look. Omega's have a 74mm reach, 118 drop.

Last edited by base2; 03-26-21 at 09:53 AM.
base2 is offline  
Old 03-26-21, 02:07 PM
  #4  
keithdunlop
Senior Member
 
keithdunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 126

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (main road bike), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (gravel and daily commuter), 2021 Ibis Ripmo AF MTB build in progress

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Fsa

FSA compact bars meet your requirements. That said, you're never going to find a bar that has 31.8mm across the entire top. That'll be just the clamp area.
keithdunlop is offline  
Old 03-26-21, 02:22 PM
  #5  
HTupolev
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,803
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by barnie View Post
Both of them tapers down to 25.4mm mid-tops, but ticks the other boxes.
I highly doubt that's the case. Grip width on road drop bars is generally 23.8mm, not 25.4mm.

At any rate, if you want more thickness on the tops, just put some extra material down. That can be as simple as wrapping with a section of old inner tube or additional bar tape or whatever, or you could use other objects to control the shape. Some companies even make things deliberately designed to go underneath bar tape, like Nitto Monkey Bananas.
HTupolev is offline  
Old 03-26-21, 05:12 PM
  #6  
Dean V
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,766
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 208 Times in 122 Posts
What is a traditional/italian bend?
If it is a constant radius curve to the drops it will rule out all the compact bars which are the only ones with the 70/80mm reach.
I also haven't seen anything that is 31.8mm all the way across the top.
Dean V is offline  
Old 03-29-21, 02:50 AM
  #7  
barnie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by base2 View Post
For whatever reason: FSA Omega comes to mind. I'm not going to do the research for you. They might not be curvey enough between the hoods & the tops for you though.

FSA bars are 2 cm narrower center to center than their width specification suggests. So a 40cm wide bar is 38cm actual.

Good luck with your search.

Edit: I did go look. Omega's have a 74mm reach, 118 drop.
The omega has compact bend instead of traditional bend, so that is out of the question. But thx anyway.
barnie is offline  
Old 03-29-21, 03:30 AM
  #8  
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 10,263

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, ‘21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, ‘19 T Lab X3

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 292 Posts
Here ya go:

https://www.controltechbikes.com/products/item/181.html
chaadster is offline  
Likes For chaadster:
Old 03-29-21, 05:38 AM
  #9  
barnie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
What is a traditional/italian bend?
If it is a constant radius curve to the drops it will rule out all the compact bars which are the only ones with the 70/80mm reach.
I also haven't seen anything that is 31.8mm all the way across the top.
The, now discontinued, 3t Superleggero Team carbon bar did, but if drop and reach are too much for me for that one.
barnie is offline  
Old 03-29-21, 05:40 AM
  #10  
barnie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev View Post
I highly doubt that's the case. Grip width on road drop bars is generally 23.8mm, not 25.4mm.

At any rate, if you want more thickness on the tops, just put some extra material down. That can be as simple as wrapping with a section of old inner tube or additional bar tape or whatever, or you could use other objects to control the shape. Some companies even make things deliberately designed to go underneath bar tape, like Nitto Monkey Bananas.
That might be the best solution. I'll see if I can source the Monkey Bananas somewhere or else go with inner tube. I've tried Spesh Bar Phat Gel pads before, but it made the bar tape too loose. Inner tube might be a good compromise.
barnie is offline  
Old 03-29-21, 06:12 AM
  #11  
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 10,263

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, ‘21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, ‘19 T Lab X3

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by barnie View Post
That might be the best solution.
Solution to what, when the exact bar you asked for is available?
chaadster is offline  
Old 03-29-21, 06:15 AM
  #12  
barnie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
Solution to what, when the exact bar you asked for is available?
From what I can see, the bar you are linking to has HMS-bend, which is not the classic bend. The longer flat part from the classic bend is important.
barnie is offline  
Old 03-29-21, 06:44 AM
  #13  
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 10,263

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, ‘21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, ‘19 T Lab X3

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by barnie View Post
From what I can see, the bar you are linking to has HMS-bend, which is not the classic bend. The longer flat part from the classic bend is important.
In that case, here ya go:

https://www.bike-onlineshop.de/Parts...009269551&p=85
chaadster is offline  
Old 03-29-21, 02:35 PM
  #14  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 344

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek FX 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by barnie View Post
Fact is, I'm looking for a handlebar, that doesn't seem to exist anymore. What I'm hoping for:

1) Width= 38cm or 40cm
2) Reach between 70 and 80mm
3) Drop less that 135mm
4) Oversize tops i.e. 31.8mm across the bar
5) Traditional/Italian bend.
6) Aluminium (preferably black)
It seems that requirements #3 and #5 are mutually exclusive, at least practically if not theoretically.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 03-29-21, 04:05 PM
  #15  
aniki
Senior Member
 
aniki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by barnie View Post

1) Width= 38cm or 40cm
2) Reach between 70 and 80mm
3) Drop less that 135mm
4) Oversize tops i.e. 31.8mm across the bar
5) Traditional/Italian bend.
6) Aluminium (preferably black)
Zipp Service Course SL88 should be close...
aniki is offline  
Old 03-30-21, 08:11 AM
  #16  
barnie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aniki View Post
Zipp Service Course SL88 should be close...
Indeed it is. But it the reach is a bit too much and the drops are flared out, so it is 42 cm in the drops. But it is definitely taken into consideration.
barnie is offline  
Old 03-30-21, 08:14 AM
  #17  
barnie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir View Post
It seems that requirements #3 and #5 are mutually exclusive, at least practically if not theoretically.
Not quite. Zipp sl-88, Deda Zero 100 shallow and Ritchey Neo Classic all fulfill both #3 and #5. It seems that #4 is the big issue. But guess I can do as suggested and either doublewrap the tops or use the discarded inner tube.
barnie is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.