Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

So darn close

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

So darn close

Old 05-26-23, 01:11 PM
  #1  
Resident PIA
Thread Starter
 
Shadco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: City of Oaks, NC
Posts: 741

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 152 Posts
So darn close

Just need a 90mm 0 degree stem and Shimano bleed kit.






.
__________________
--
Shad
I knew where I was when I wrote this
I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Shadco is offline  
Likes For Shadco:
Old 05-26-23, 03:37 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 7,365
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6566 Post(s)
Liked 10,277 Times in 4,407 Posts
90mm stem seems a big change from the one on that bike. Are you sure that frame is the best size for you?
Koyote is offline  
Old 05-26-23, 04:09 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,911

Bikes: aethos, creo, vanmoof, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 661 Posts
nice bike!! welcome to the club 😇
__________________
mschwett is offline  
Old 05-26-23, 05:39 PM
  #4  
Resident PIA
Thread Starter
 
Shadco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: City of Oaks, NC
Posts: 741

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
90mm stem seems a big change from the one on that bike. Are you sure that frame is the best size for you?
itís a 100mm stem on upside down, went to the fitter we are going down 10mm on the stem 0 degrees and remove 20mm od spacers. Thatís just a build stem I had laying around.

​​​​​​Ö
__________________
--
Shad
I knew where I was when I wrote this
I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Shadco is offline  
Likes For Shadco:
Old 05-26-23, 09:02 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 7,365
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6566 Post(s)
Liked 10,277 Times in 4,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
itís a 100mm stem on upside down, went to the fitter we are going down 10mm on the stem 0 degrees and remove 20mm od spacers. Thatís just a build stem I had laying around.

​​​​​​Ö
Must be the camera angle...Looks longer than 100mm, at least to me.

Sharp bike, btw. What color bar tape will you use? I like neutral frames like that because then you can run any color bar tape you want, from mild to wild.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-27-23, 04:54 AM
  #6  
Resident PIA
Thread Starter
 
Shadco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: City of Oaks, NC
Posts: 741

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Must be the camera angle...Looks longer than 100mm, at least to me.

Sharp bike, btw. What color bar tape will you use? I like neutral frames like that because then you can run any color bar tape you want, from mild to wild.
Either Fizik Classic in silver or Supacaz silver to black fade, have both laying around.

.
__________________
--
Shad
I knew where I was when I wrote this
I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Shadco is offline  
Likes For Shadco:
Old 05-27-23, 09:31 AM
  #7  
I'm good to go!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 14,156

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5839 Post(s)
Liked 4,458 Times in 3,074 Posts
Road bikes look better when the stem is somewhat horizontal and parallel to the ground. Or at least to me they do.

But it's something I'll never notice if you happen to pass by while I'm riding.
Iride01 is offline  
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-27-23, 10:55 AM
  #8  
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 3,215

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked 1,227 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Road bikes look better when the stem is somewhat horizontal and parallel to the ground. Or at least to me they do.
I agree. That is why I have my -8 degree stem over a 50 mm stack of spacers.
SoSmellyAir is online now  
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-27-23, 02:39 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 7,365
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6566 Post(s)
Liked 10,277 Times in 4,407 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I agree. That is why I have my -8 degree stem over a 50 mm stack of spacers.
You may be joking...But I had mym custom frame built with a tall headtube in order to avoid a big stack of spacers -- only to discover that spacers look better.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-27-23, 04:59 PM
  #10  
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 3,215

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked 1,227 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You may be joking...But I had mym custom frame built with a tall headtube in order to avoid a big stack of spacers -- only to discover that spacers look better.
I was not joking. My Synapse came with a +6 degree stem on top of a 55 mm stack of headset spacers (including the headset top cap); see page 8 (left side of Acrobat page 6).

129387_oms_synapsecarbon_en_low.pdf (cannondale.com)
SoSmellyAir is online now  
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-27-23, 05:21 PM
  #11  
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 12,670

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4005 Post(s)
Liked 3,521 Times in 2,353 Posts
Those Aethos frames are neat. It is so refreshing against the massive logo bikes of say Trek to see something nice and understated but also super light and technical and all that stuff. I wish I were one of those lightweight people who didn't love carbs because I would love to build one up with the whole alpinist cockpit and ultralight wheels and just a ridiculous weight weenie build.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 05-27-23, 05:26 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,911

Bikes: aethos, creo, vanmoof, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 661 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Those Aethos frames are neat. It is so refreshing against the massive logo bikes of say Trek to see something nice and understated but also super light and technical and all that stuff. I wish I were one of those lightweight people who didn't love carbs because I would love to build one up with the whole alpinist cockpit and ultralight wheels and just a ridiculous weight weenie build.
i love carbs. about 185lb. while i haven't gone full WW on mine, i do really like the alpinist stems and wheels and seatpost and zero pedals (right at the weight limit). can't bring myself to get to the next level of stupidity with the carbon seats and cranks and chainrings and super thin bar tape. it weighs a little over 14lb. had it been available at the time, i'd definitely have saved some $$$ and gone with the 12 speed di2 ultegra that Shadco has, and i'm super jealous of the fade on the fork!!!!!!!!



this also illustrates how much better the short head tube / smaller size looks on the OP's bike - (i'm guessing a 54?). i am probably in between the 58 and 61 but just hate that "tall guy bike" look with the super elongated head tube. would rather have a few spacers. i have 25mm of spacers on my 58 and the 6 degree down 110mm alpinist cockpit. if they made a flat version of the cockpit i could probably pull one or two, but the drop is about right for me.
__________________

Last edited by mschwett; 05-27-23 at 05:29 PM.
mschwett is offline  
Likes For mschwett:
Old 05-27-23, 08:00 PM
  #13  
Resident PIA
Thread Starter
 
Shadco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: City of Oaks, NC
Posts: 741

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i love carbs. about 185lb. while i haven't gone full WW on mine, i do really like the alpinist stems and wheels and seatpost and zero pedals (right at the weight limit). can't bring myself to get to the next level of stupidity with the carbon seats and cranks and chainrings and super thin bar tape. it weighs a little over 14lb. had it been available at the time, i'd definitely have saved some $$$ and gone with the 12 speed di2 ultegra that Shadco has, and i'm super jealous of the fade on the fork!!!!!!!!



this also illustrates how much better the short head tube / smaller size looks on the OP's bike - (i'm guessing a 54?). i am probably in between the 58 and 61 but just hate that "tall guy bike" look with the super elongated head tube. would rather have a few spacers. i have 25mm of spacers on my 58 and the 6 degree down 110mm alpinist cockpit. if they made a flat version of the cockpit i could probably pull one or two, but the drop is about right for me.

Yes a 54, as a lifetime campy guy I have to admit Ultegra Di2 rocks. Not goin ww, epp and s-etc put this in reach there for the Ultegra wheel set. At 165 lbs and being 71 I figured I had to treat my selfish. Itís coming in at 15.25 with pedals but without cages.

.

.
__________________
--
Shad
I knew where I was when I wrote this
I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Shadco is offline  
Old 05-27-23, 11:11 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,513
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 1,010 Times in 653 Posts
So looking better is better than fitting better?
Camilo is offline  
Old 05-28-23, 08:47 AM
  #15  
I'm good to go!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 14,156

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5839 Post(s)
Liked 4,458 Times in 3,074 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
So looking better is better than fitting better?
Why can't one do both?

Of course if you bought the wrong geometry bike and don't like the low position it was designed to give you, then you have to do what you must do to make if fit.

People shouldn't buy bikes based on looks alone. They need to understand why they shouldn't buy a bike that is made for a lot of saddle to bar drop if they don't want a lot of saddle to bar drop.
Iride01 is offline  
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-31-23, 07:35 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
ussprinceton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Durham, NC 27705 USA
Posts: 1,072

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 65 Posts
what is the weight difference between a standard Aethos and an S-Works Aethos?
ussprinceton is offline  
Old 06-01-23, 05:34 AM
  #17  
Resident PIA
Thread Starter
 
Shadco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: City of Oaks, NC
Posts: 741

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by ussprinceton
what is the weight difference between a standard Aethos and an S-Works Aethos?
114 grams if my maffs are correct. 699 vs 585 grams for a 56.

.
__________________
--
Shad
I knew where I was when I wrote this
I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Shadco is offline  
Old 06-01-23, 05:45 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
ussprinceton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Durham, NC 27705 USA
Posts: 1,072

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
114 grams if my maffs are correct. 699 vs 585 grams for a 56.

.
ah, ok. Thanks. I don't know if it is worth shelling out more money for an S-Works that is only 114 grams lighter than a regular Aethos
ussprinceton is offline  
Old 06-12-23, 02:34 PM
  #19  
Resident PIA
Thread Starter
 
Shadco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: City of Oaks, NC
Posts: 741

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 152 Posts
Done with shakedown ride. Everything I hoped for.





.
__________________
--
Shad
I knew where I was when I wrote this
I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Shadco is offline  
Likes For Shadco:
Old 06-12-23, 03:24 PM
  #20  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 398

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
Just need a 90mm 0 degree stem and Shimano bleed kit.






.
Nice, I just built that same frameset Good luck w/ the rest of your build
Jrasero is offline  
Old 06-12-23, 03:34 PM
  #21  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 398

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by ussprinceton
what is the weight difference between a standard Aethos and an S-Works Aethos?
699g vs 585g

The fact that the Fact 10R weight just under 700g is nuts. I went with the standard Aethos and even using some Rival AXS parts and with 50mm wheels, cages, mounts, chain catcher, pedals (105), and some protective tape my Aethos in a 49cm is 15.5lbs. Not the lightest by any means but it just goes to show you how much starting at 700g helps
Jrasero is offline  
Old 06-12-23, 10:20 PM
  #22  
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 3,215

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked 1,227 Times in 866 Posts
Aethos looks so good, but I need the stack of a size 56 with the reach of a size 54. Sigh.
SoSmellyAir is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.