Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Time I-Clic pedals

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Time I-Clic pedals

Old 08-21-12, 10:00 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Time I-Clic pedals

Hi all,

I switched pedals again. I decided I wanted more platform in a pedal than I was getting from my Speedplays. I settled on Time I-Clics because I'd had Time pedals before and really liked them - just had not ever tried the I-Clics. I found them on sale at a great price - $55 and that included 2 sets of cleats (cleats sell for $30).

I have since found out why they came with two set of cleats. Dear God the cleats do not last any time at all. Maybe a couple hundred miles and my right cleat is shredded (foot I put down).

The pedals themselves have been great thus far but have to figure a way to make the cleats last longer - thought about covering the tips with a layer of epoxy or silicone or something...
ravenmore is offline  
Old 08-21-12, 10:17 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 953
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tried all sorts of stuff to get them to last, finally I just gave up and bought the Iclic 2s which seem much much better so far.
rpeterson is offline  
Old 08-21-12, 10:22 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
MPress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 157
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My cleats are fine with over 1000 miles on my current pair. Keep the walking to a realistic minimum and don't drag your foot when rolling to a stop.
MPress is offline  
Old 08-21-12, 10:24 AM
  #4  
Hanging On
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 872
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The I-Clic cleats (and the stories I read/heard) are the reason why I went to DA pedals a year ago after what seems like a lifetime of using Time pedals. I must say, I do not regret that decision in the least, quite the opposite.
soma5 is offline  
Old 08-21-12, 11:02 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MPress
My cleats are fine with over 1000 miles on my current pair. Keep the walking to a realistic minimum and don't drag your foot when rolling to a stop.
I commute daily and have to frequently put a foot down which probably has a lot to do with it.

edit: I had problem with Shimano cleats too, although they did last longer for me than Look Keo and certainly the I-Clic. The longest wearing cleat I've used was the Time RXS pedal. I'd had such good luck with those that's why I decided to try these.

Last edited by ravenmore; 08-21-12 at 11:13 AM.
ravenmore is offline  
Old 08-21-12, 11:04 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rpeterson
I tried all sorts of stuff to get them to last, finally I just gave up and bought the Iclic 2s which seem much much better so far.
Do they use a different cleat?
ravenmore is offline  
Old 08-21-12, 11:10 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Munk69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Western Michigan
Posts: 601

Bikes: Ridley Helium

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ravenmore
Hi all,

I switched pedals again. I decided I wanted more platform in a pedal than I was getting from my Speedplays. I settled on Time I-Clics because I'd had Time pedals before and really liked them - just had not ever tried the I-Clics. I found them on sale at a great price - $55 and that included 2 sets of cleats (cleats sell for $30).

I have since found out why they came with two set of cleats. Dear God the cleats do not last any time at all. Maybe a couple hundred miles and my right cleat is shredded (foot I put down).

The pedals themselves have been great thus far but have to figure a way to make the cleats last longer - thought about covering the tips with a layer of epoxy or silicone or something...
Hi Raven,

Contact Time USA about your cleats. Chances are you have their frist gen cleat which wore out extremely fast (mine did also). Spoke to Time USA and provided pics of my cleats and they sent me out 2nd gen cleats at no charge.

The second gen are much more durable.. Although at 2k + miles, theya are starting to show some age.

Time USA was great to deal with and shipped very quick.

Hope this helps!
Munk69 is offline  
Old 08-21-12, 11:14 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Munk69
Hi Raven,

Contact Time USA about your cleats. Chances are you have their frist gen cleat which wore out extremely fast (mine did also). Spoke to Time USA and provided pics of my cleats and they sent me out 2nd gen cleats at no charge.

The second gen are much more durable.. Although at 2k + miles, theya are starting to show some age.

Time USA was great to deal with and shipped very quick.

Hope this helps!
Thanks - will give that a whirl.
ravenmore is offline  
Old 08-21-12, 03:10 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 953
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ravenmore
Do they use a different cleat?
Different cleat and there are some slight changes to the pedal itself that help with durability. I think the third gen cleat works with the original pedal.

I went through 2 pairs of first gen cleats, then a pair of second gen cleats, then my pedals had worn out and didn't work anymore anyway. This was all in about 6,000 miles. For reference I got 12,000 out of my last Shimano cleats and the pedals have ~25,000 on them.
rpeterson is offline  
Old 08-21-12, 05:52 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
bsektzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 517

Bikes: Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't had them long enough to comment on their durability, but the Time Iclic II pedals/cleats that I'm using now have hands down been the easiest to get into and out of of any pedal/cleat combination I've ever tried with no loss of security at all.
bsektzer is offline  
Old 08-28-12, 09:07 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
seymour1910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hampton, VA
Posts: 2,792
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
Hi all,

I switched pedals again. I decided I wanted more platform in a pedal than I was getting from my Speedplays. I settled on Time I-Clics because I'd had Time pedals before and really liked them - just had not ever tried the I-Clics. I found them on sale at a great price - $55 and that included 2 sets of cleats (cleats sell for $30).

I have since found out why they came with two set of cleats. Dear God the cleats do not last any time at all. Maybe a couple hundred miles and my right cleat is shredded (foot I put down).

The pedals themselves have been great thus far but have to figure a way to make the cleats last longer - thought about covering the tips with a layer of epoxy or silicone or something...
Originally Posted by rpeterson
I tried all sorts of stuff to get them to last, finally I just gave up and bought the Iclic 2s which seem much much better so far.
These may be worth a shot https://cleatskins.com/shop/node/675
seymour1910 is offline  
Old 08-28-12, 12:22 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Unfortunately a lot of the wear I'm seeing comes from putting a foot down and or pushing off when I'm on the bike. I'll probably try those anyway though.
ravenmore is offline  
Old 08-28-12, 12:51 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
seymour1910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hampton, VA
Posts: 2,792
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
Unfortunately a lot of the wear I'm seeing comes from putting a foot down and or pushing off when I'm on the bike. I'll probably try those anyway though.
Raven,
I am still considered a newbie here, just got my first road bike and have only been riding two months. I know it's a "to each his own" type of thing when cycling but when I unclip I always unlcip with my left foot and put it down. I then bring my right pedal up to a good postion where I can put some force down so I don't have to really push off with the left. Some people find that way better, so do that method but still push off with the left. The only other option I could tell you is go for the 3rd generation iclic cleats, they are said to be far better than the first generation and a little better than the second. The down side to it is the 3rd gen cleat is even more expensive, they cost about $40 per set.

Last edited by seymour1910; 08-28-12 at 12:52 PM. Reason: spelling
seymour1910 is offline  
Old 08-30-12, 08:35 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^^^I do that too for the most part but Austin is pretty hilly and a lot of my start/stops are on inclines - plus I ride a single speed a lot. Combine the two and I need a little kick to get going. (plus its probably a bad habit).

Some pics of the carnage - probably around 600 miles on this cleat. Not even two months:



ravenmore is offline  
Old 08-30-12, 08:59 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
One more showing the crack in the rear - that was not caused by pushing off. Man I hope the newer generation cleats are a lot better.

ravenmore is offline  
Old 08-30-12, 09:45 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,848
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What you have in the picture is the 1st gen cleat just in case. Generation 2 cleats do not have holes. The cleats is the reason why i havent moved out of the rxs pedals, had the money I would move to Keywin pedals.
ultraman6970 is offline  
Old 08-30-12, 10:42 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
What you have in the picture is the 1st gen cleat just in case. Generation 2 cleats do not have holes. The cleats is the reason why i havent moved out of the rxs pedals, had the money I would move to Keywin pedals.
The rxs cleats were awesome - they've lasted longer than any other cleat I've tried.
ravenmore is offline  
Old 08-30-12, 03:02 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,848
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Time tried to fix a nonexistent problem with the i-clic pedals, the guys that complain that they cant engage or have problems pulling the shoe out the pedals because the cleats are old or the cleats are set with the wrong angle.

Even the impact pedals were hard to kill, heavy and everything but they last forever, really robust pedals.
ultraman6970 is offline  
Old 08-30-12, 03:54 PM
  #19  
ka maté ka maté ka ora
 
pdedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: wessex
Posts: 4,423

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
The rxs cleats were awesome - they've lasted longer than any other cleat I've tried.
+1 rxs on all my bikes
pdedes is offline  
Old 08-30-12, 04:05 PM
  #20  
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,441
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
The rxs cleats were awesome - they've lasted longer than any other cleat I've tried.
unfortunately the RXS pedal body wears. I tend to replace my carbon pedals once a year.
gsteinb is offline  
Old 08-30-12, 04:35 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 953
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
Time tried to fix a nonexistent problem with the i-clic pedals, the guys that complain that they cant engage or have problems pulling the shoe out the pedals because the cleats are old or the cleats are set with the wrong angle.

Even the impact pedals were hard to kill, heavy and everything but they last forever, really robust pedals.
I don't think it was a non-existent problem. I have no problem getting into or out of my Shimano pedals, but when I tried the iclics I just loved the feel. The mechanism and float and all that is amazing, it's just the durability that sucks.
rpeterson is offline  
Old 08-30-12, 06:16 PM
  #22  
VeloSIRraptor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 4,585
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
+1 rxs on all my bikes
+2

Originally Posted by gsteinb
unfortunately the RXS pedal body wears. I tend to replace my carbon pedals once a year.
+1 (well, not 1x per year for me, but I don't ride as much as G does)

The Iclic2 has much, much better cleats, and a pedal body with a metal wear-plate that won't wear down.
They are great.
Hida Yanra is offline  
Old 08-30-12, 07:45 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
Time tried to fix a nonexistent problem with the i-clic pedals, the guys that complain that they cant engage or have problems pulling the shoe out the pedals because the cleats are old or the cleats are set with the wrong angle.

Even the impact pedals were hard to kill, heavy and everything but they last forever, really robust pedals.
I have a set of Impacts around here somewhere that I put a bazillion miles into. They still laugh at me when I run into them.
ravenmore is offline  
Old 08-30-12, 07:47 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
unfortunately the RXS pedal body wears. I tend to replace my carbon pedals once a year.
My rxs experiment ended on a long commute home. Pedal body snapped off the spindle. I happened to be within a mile of a bike shop when it happened. They didn't have any Time pedals - only Shimano and Look. Put some 105's on and went home.
ravenmore is offline  
Old 08-30-12, 11:18 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
seymour1910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hampton, VA
Posts: 2,792
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
My rxs experiment ended on a long commute home. Pedal body snapped off the spindle. I happened to be within a mile of a bike shop when it happened. They didn't have any Time pedals - only Shimano and Look. Put some 105's on and went home.
Raven,
Yeah that cleat looks rough, thanks for the pics though. How do you like the 105's? I hear a lot of love/hate with them. What do you think? I have seen some SPD-SL cleats in bad shape too. My speedplay LA cleats are fine because they make the leave on cleat covers. Even when you are clipped in the covers stay on.https://www.keeponkovers.com/Product.html
seymour1910 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.