Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Court outcome in sydney's death

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-06, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello this is Kimberlee, Jim Price's daugther. I wanted to give the board an update on what happened this afternoon.

Today was the final hearing and sentencing in the case. It went fast as the teen took responsiblity and faced the charges against him without trying to make excuses or plead down, he really seemed ready to take whatever sentence would be handed down. He was charged with and pleaded guilty to careless driving resulting in death. The terms of his sentence are as follows: 48 months of supervised probation, he needs to comply with the terms and conditions of probabtion...No driving until the court determines otherwise (his parents actually took him down to the DMV the Monday after the incident and had his license revoked). No possesion of a cell phone for any reason. 300 hours of communitity service, with the first 100 hours to be done prior to May 25, 2005 (his graduation day), must provide monthy updates and the judge suggested he go to schools, driver ed classes, cycling clubs and such to speak about what he did) Write a letter to every State Legislator regarding his experience. 98 days in home detention to be beserved prior to jail and after jail sentence, 46 days prior to jail and 52 days after jail sentence. Serve 9 days in jail.

I know some people will not think this was a just sentence, but we are satisfied with it. The judge was creative with the sentencing and I believe these are things that can make a difference and keep this incident in people's minds so that hopefully they will be more attentive while behind the wheel. The tragedy of my dad's death would only be compounded if the life of this young man were to be utterly ruined by a harsher punishment.

There will be a link to the news story at www.9news.com for anyone who is interested.

Thanks for your thought and support

Kimberlee
txstevens@cox.net
Old 02-06-06, 10:17 PM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much for the update. I think you can see that many on this forum care a great deal. Again, thanks. OHB
Old 02-06-06, 10:27 PM
Guinea Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kimberlee, you are your father's daughter! Thank you so much for the news, and all the best to you and your family.
Old 02-06-06, 11:26 PM

Bikes: TiSport Road frame with Campagnolo Daytona/Centaur + Record/Open Pro wheels | 2002 Bianchi Volpe | 2003 Giant TCR 2 w/ Sun ME14A rims/Ultegra 6500 hubs/ Bianchi SL Centaur (currently being refurbished)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kimberlee, just in case you check back in on this thread, thank you very much for detailing the sentence. Regarding the perpetrator of your father's tragic end, there was a groundswell of hunger for Old Testament justice; I would be lying if I said I did not feel it myself. I consider the sentence very lenient. The way you explain the sentence takes tremendous wisdom and maturity. Very few of us could look at such an issue with your perspective, and I tip my hat.
I haven't added to the conversation before about your father, but he was a very special guy; he had me in stitches often. His contributions to this and other forums live on; hopefully we can try to keep up his no-nonsense, efficient, helpful approach, and even serve it up with some attitude from time to time. Very Best Wishes,

Chad
Old 02-07-06, 12:19 AM

Bikes: Gary Fisher MTB and a Klein Quantum II

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kimberlee, thank you for the update. I am glad you are satisfied. For some reason, I think that is important. As it has been said here before, best to you and your family.
Old 02-07-06, 12:40 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I do have to admit I am rather upset with the way the law is written. That being said we decided as a family after much discussion that part of his sentence should include going out sharing his story with others. I believe that would have a far great impact on him and hopefully others as well, rather than him sitting in a detension center for x amount of time. He has to get up in front of the public and tell them what he, that he took someone elses life due to a decision he made. I know for myself I needed to get to a point where what happened to my dad did not consume me with anger and hateful feelings, it would not do me any good and my kids need a mom who can function. What helped with that was seeing that this kids was not a punk without remorse, if his attitude about this had been different I would have sought for a much harder sentence; however the judge had the final say.

Kimberlee
Old 02-07-06, 12:44 AM

Bikes: '64 Schwinn Traveler, '73 Astra Tour de France, '79 Fuji Gran Tourer, '86 Dahon folder, '94 Specialized Hardrock, '95 GT Timberline, 2005 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was too new to this forum to fully appreciate sydney while he was contributing to this forum. I understood that his death was a tragedy, but I was unable to understand the depth of the loss.

I frequently enounter sydney's posts as I seek information in the archives of this forum. Reading his posts has helped me realize what a wise man he was. He wasn't just full of knowledge -he was full of wisdom.

His wisdom lives on in the archives of this forums. I suspect that it lives on in every life he touched. It obviously lives on in Kimberlee. He would be proud.
Old 02-07-06, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, thanks Kimberlee. Although nothing seems just right now, I think you're very honourable in accepting the sentence given so well. I simply do not know how I would cope.

Thank you again.
Old 02-07-06, 10:21 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the update. I still miss your father, and probably will for a long, long time. Your family is in my prayers.
Old 02-07-06, 10:58 AM

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the update, Kimberlee. Certainly a creative sentence, and hopefully one that will keep this incident in the mind of the driver, his family, and the community for a while to come.
Old 02-07-06, 11:41 AM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
thanks for taking the time to give us the update.

There's no reconciling any unneccesary death, and certainly not Jim's.
The kid got off lightly, but given the extent of the 'sentence', some good things can come out of it.

again, my condolences to your family
Old 02-07-06, 12:16 PM
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kimberlee, I'm glad you can take solace in the sentence handed out. As for the kid, he'll have to admit in public on numerous occasions that a careless act while driving cost a family the life of their father. The impact of his thoughtless actions will hopefully cause him to mature into a wiser adult and have a positive impact on other drivers who drive while distracted.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 02-07-06, 01:06 PM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thank you for letting us know. Your father's voice is missed in the Forum. I often read a post and think "What would Sydney have said about that?"

I hope that time will help to ease the pain of your family's loss, and leave behind only your best memories of your father.
Old 02-07-06, 01:48 PM
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Wow, what can I say? After reading your initial report and your follow up explaining your thought process, let me congratulate you on your incredible maturity. I know that I would not be able to deal with this loss in my family with half the grace that you have. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Thank you for taking the time to keep all of here at Bike Forums abreast updated.
Old 02-07-06, 01:54 PM
pacifist-vegetarian biker

Bikes: Iron Horse Triumph, Trek 800, KHS XC604

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No sentence could bring sydney (and his encylopiedic knowledge of bikes) back, but I think this sentence is very good. Having the kid sitting in jail for too long would have acomplished nothing. Being forced to write letters and speak about his experinces will make sure he never forgets about it, and hopefully make other people think twice before picking up their phone well driving.
Old 02-07-06, 01:55 PM
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Kimberlee.....Thank You.
Old 02-07-06, 03:55 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Kimberlee, I too extend my thanks for the update on the case. The fact that the driver stood up and took responsability for his actions do speak a great deal that he is a good person at heart who made a gravely bad decision. I too believe the best outcome is for him to speak out about what happened to as many people as possible. I applaud you, your family, and the judge for your actions in this hard time. As always my thoughts go out to those Jim left behind and know that he is sorely missed and fondly remembered here on BikeForums. I have seen, more times than I care to count people responding to a question with "This is the type of question only sydney could answer." While we try to fill the void the best we can, there will always be places where his wisdom will be needed, and thus missed.
Old 02-07-06, 04:23 PM
Double Secret Probation

Bikes: Madone 6 series SSL, Cannondale CX9, Trek TTX, Trek 970, Trek T2000

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you, I pray for you and your family.

John
Old 02-07-06, 04:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sydney
Hello this is Kimberlee, Jim Price's daugther. I wanted to give the board an update on what happened this afternoon.

Today was the final hearing and sentencing in the case. It went fast as the teen took responsiblity and faced the charges against him without trying to make excuses or plead down, he really seemed ready to take whatever sentence would be handed down. He was charged with and pleaded guilty to careless driving resulting in death. The terms of his sentence are as follows: 48 months of supervised probation, he needs to comply with the terms and conditions of probabtion...No driving until the court determines otherwise (his parents actually took him down to the DMV the Monday after the incident and had his license revoked). No possesion of a cell phone for any reason. 300 hours of communitity service, with the first 100 hours to be done prior to May 25, 2005 (his graduation day), must provide monthy updates and the judge suggested he go to schools, driver ed classes, cycling clubs and such to speak about what he did) Write a letter to every State Legislator regarding his experience. 98 days in home detention to be beserved prior to jail and after jail sentence, 46 days prior to jail and 52 days after jail sentence. Serve 9 days in jail.

I know some people will not think this was a just sentence, but we are satisfied with it. The judge was creative with the sentencing and I believe these are things that can make a difference and keep this incident in people's minds so that hopefully they will be more attentive while behind the wheel. The tragedy of my dad's death would only be compounded if the life of this young man were to be utterly ruined by a harsher punishment.

There will be a link to the news story at www.9news.com for anyone who is interested.

Thanks for your thought and support

Kimberlee
txstevens@cox.net

If you're going to kill someone you should do it with a car. Because honestly, society does not take this nearly as serious enough.

Drivers are NOT held responsible for their behavior. We are far too fast to mix the terms "accident" and "criminal recklessness resulting in death". To me, this is murder 3.
Old 02-07-06, 04:44 PM

Bikes: c'dale six13, bobjackson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kimberlee, thank you for the update. i wish you and your family well and again my sincere condolence.

Last edited by alancw3; 02-07-06 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-07-06, 05:10 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sydney
I know some people will not think this was a just sentence
Sounds just to me.

Thanks for the update, and my condolences to you and your family for your loss.
Old 02-07-06, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Thanks for the update... and the petition is still going on, so please Kimberlee- if you're upset with how the laws are written, let everyone know that with petitions, we can get the laws changed.

Koffee

Old 02-07-06, 09:29 PM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That'll make the boy think. He should have to post an apology here and every other online cycling board sydney was a member of. I hope the judge and the board of probation and parole makes sure he completes everything he was ordered to do.
Old 02-07-06, 09:36 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great to hear that he finally got his punishment. Although I wish it was tougher, it does sound reasonable.

Yeah, we all miss him, one of the few truly great people out there.
Old 02-07-06, 10:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the updates. Keeping this issue in front of all audiences is very important.

Isn't it ironic. With his license revoked, the kid is probably going to become a cyclist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.