Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help with Miyata identification

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-07, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought this off of CL last month. I can't figure out what model it is though. I've spent a while looking through old threads, but I can't find anything that looks similar to mine. It doesn't actually have any Miyata decals. The original owner who I bought it from said it's a 1974 Miyata. That's all he knew, so that's what I'm going on. The serial number is B429510. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by 2-7offsuit; 05-24-07 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Pictures resized!
Old 05-19-07, 08:29 AM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 537 Times in 267 Posts
Hard to say if its Miyata or not, I have seen those ersatz Nervex lugs on early Centurion Hi Tension steel frames. The lug lining looks like it was done by a previous owner rather than the factory.
Old 05-19-07, 08:49 AM
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,065 Times in 789 Posts
Looks more like an Azuki to me, but somebody with more JP bike knowledge may be able to ID it, obviously a small "house" or importer's brand. What I think is more interesting is the crankset (what izzit?) and other components like the derailleurs...how about some close-ups?
Old 05-19-07, 09:53 AM
Don't call me sir

Bikes: 1954 Holdsworth 3 speed, 1969 Bob Jackson, 1988 Miyata Twelve Hundred (retired), 1989 Schwinn Paramount, 2004 Santa Cruz Blur Classic, 2012 Specialized P3, 2013 Specialized Roubaix Expert Disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw a Sugino Crank like that two days ago.
Old 05-19-07, 05:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you guys think that it probably isn't a Miyata? The owner did say something about it being a special edition from the shop he bought it at. One of the stickers says "Bikeways Cycle Center" that's probably the shop. The other sticker says "Falk SL 66." Does that mean anything? I'll put up a couple of more pictures.
Old 05-19-07, 05:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by 2-7offsuit; 05-24-07 at 07:42 PM. Reason: pictures resized
Old 05-19-07, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Well, the serial number format is consistent with Miyata and if we assume it's Miyata, then it would be circa 1973/1974, which matches the seller's claim and is apprpriate for the Crane rear derailleur. However, I have not seen those lugs and stay tips on Miyata from this period, but if this is a contract manufactured frame, the lugs and stays tips may be customer specified. The Falk tubing is an Italian brand, comparable to Columbus. It would seem to be stretching things a bit to assume Miyata would be using this, but stranger things have happened, so I won't rule out the possibility.

There seems to be some remains of a tubing decal, below the seat lug. Can you post a pic?
Old 05-19-07, 06:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The decal below the seat is the one that says:
FALK
SL

I'll definitely still take a pic if you think it might help.
Old 05-20-07, 05:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So it's probably not a Miyata then? What companies used Falk tubing in the early 70's? I've been looking around on google lot, but with no luck. I just need a little direction. I'd really like to be able to identify this bike. Thanks!
Old 05-20-07, 06:55 PM

Let's just say the evidence is not conclusive that it is a Miyata. Falk was generally used on Italian brands, so the first thing I'd be doing is checking the threading on the bottom bracket. It should be marked on the fixed (drive side) cup. Assuming the bottom bracket is also SR, an Italian cup will be marked 36 x 24T. A Japanese frame would use an English cup, would be unmarked or marked 1.37 x 24T. Given the apparent era, French threads are also a possibility and they should be marked 35 x P1. But those look like Suntour dropouts, so I'm guessing it is English threaded, in which case, a Japanese brand is most likely and I'm at a loss to explain the Falk tubing.
Old 05-24-07, 08:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T-Mar, I looked, but I can't find any markings on the bottom bracket. Maybe I'm not even looking in the right place. The dropouts say "Suntour GS" so you're right there. Did any Japanese brands use Falk tubing? or could the "Falk SL 66" sticker mean something else?

While looking around on google I did find one bike that looks pretty similar...
https://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2005...ky.htm#image_2
Old 05-24-07, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2-7offsuit
T-Mar, I looked, but I can't find any markings on the bottom bracket. Maybe I'm not even looking in the right place. The dropouts say "Suntour GS" so you're right there. Did any Japanese brands use Falk tubing? or could the "Falk SL 66" sticker mean something else?

While looking around on google I did find one bike that looks pretty similar...
https://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2005...ky.htm#image_2
Lack of markings on the cups would indicate English threading, assuming it's an SR cup to match the crankset. This, plus the SunTour dropouts make a Japanese origin far more likely than Italian.

The Falk tubing is still perplexing. Some of the better Japanese builders did use Italian tubing and in the early 1980s many of the top Lotus models used Columbus tubesets, but I have never run across a Miyata with an Italian tubeset.

Miyata, did make uncataloged models every so often and this could have been a special run for the customer, which would explain the different lugs, stay ends and tubing. Still, the only thing that matches Miyata is the serial number format, so I can't say conclusively that it is a Miyata.

Do the lugs or bottom bracket have any cut-outs? The top Miyata during this period had holes in the lugs (similar to Cinelli) and holes in the bottom bracket.
Old 05-27-07, 04:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Do the lugs or bottom bracket have any cut-outs? The top Miyata during this period had holes in the lugs (similar to Cinelli) and holes in the bottom bracket.
I don't think they have any cutouts, but again maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. I'm still pretty new to bikes. Do you possibly have a picture I could use for reference?
Old 12-29-07, 10:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never did figure this out... Anymore ideas?
Old 05-28-09, 12:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2-7offsuit,

I sent you a PM. I have the same exact bike from what I can see of the pictures still on your post. I am trying to ID it in the following thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/545380-miyata-please-help-me-identify.html

Let me know if you found any more details!

Thanks
Old 05-28-09, 10:50 PM
No lugs? No hugs.

Bikes: '85 Miyata 310, '06 GT Performer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seems really unlikely this is a Miyata. Miyata made their own tubing, which was quite good. There wouldn't really be any reason for them to source tubing from someone else.
Old 09-27-10, 12:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought the same orange Star bike. After reading this thread I and trying to identifey the manufacture of the bike I did find a Miyata seatpost bolt. So I'm sold. These things were made for Star by Miyata and the loaded them up with high end components. I like the lug work, the qulaity Shimano components and mine also has a BELT Fujita Leather saddle. Serial # on this bike is: 9393213. Based on components (see above list) I'm guessing it's a very early Miyata import. Okay, I know what it is and it's cleaned up and ready for it's initial road test. Chow! Thank You all.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Star Miyata..jpg (78.1 KB, 42 views)
Star Badge..jpg (97.1 KB, 38 views)
Falk 66 SL sticke .jpg (93.6 KB, 30 views)
Star's 'Miyata' Se.jpg (79.3 KB, 35 views)
Star Fujita BELT l.jpg (92.9 KB, 31 views)