Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring Frames

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring Frames

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-03, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring Frames

Want to build my own touring bike but not sure about the frame. Heard that reynolds 531st was perfect for touring but they weren't making it anymore. What other frames are right up a touring lads alley?
Old 11-24-03, 07:47 PM
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I were building up a tourer, I'd look seriously at the Surly Long Haul Trucker. It's brand new and so, unproven, but worth a closer look. I'd certainly want to compare it to other frames that are out there. They're marked at about $400.00.
Old 11-24-03, 08:13 PM
Gordon P

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
531 is still listed on their website and the microalloy 853 sounds even better!
https://www.reynolds-cycle.com/intern...teel/steel.htm
Zona tubing by Columbus is used by Marinoni for their touring frame for example.
https://www.marinoni.qc.ca/html/2004/eng_turismo.asp (this is my dream bike)
https://www.columbustubi.com/english/acciaio/index.htm
Other steel to look at is TrueTemper, they make some great tubing like the OX Platinum and the Versus HT and Versus.
Not sure on your location but Thorn at st johns cycles in the UK is very reputable and in America you should find a plethora of good frames and builders.

So what is the “best” steel for touring?

Old 11-24-03, 08:46 PM
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are you planning to build the frame?
Old 11-24-03, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12197 Post(s)
Liked 1,498 Times in 1,109 Posts
Hi,
there is credit card touring, camp touring, expedition touring. Which will you be doing? Companies that make steel touring bikes are Waterford, Rivendell, Heron.
Old 11-25-03, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordon P
531 is still listed on their website and the microalloy 853 sounds even better!
https://www.reynolds-cycle.com/intern...teel/steel.htm
Zona tubing by Columbus is used by Marinoni for their touring frame for example.
https://www.marinoni.qc.ca/html/2004/eng_turismo.asp (this is my dream bike)
https://www.columbustubi.com/english/acciaio/index.htm
Other steel to look at is TrueTemper, they make some great tubing like the OX Platinum and the Versus HT and Versus.
Not sure on your location but Thorn at st johns cycles in the UK is very reputable and in America you should find a plethora of good frames and builders.

So what is the “best” steel for touring?
the problem with 853 is that it is a really thin tubeset. I'm not sure it would be the best for touring, where reliability is key. but who knows, 853 might hold up.
Old 12-03-03, 12:54 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What made 531 ST great IMO for touring was it had butted wall thicknesses as great as 1.2/.9/1.2 . It was plenty stiff enough for a heavy load and it wouldn't dent if the bike fell over or fold up from a minor crash. They still make 531 DB. But from what I'm told they are only making limited runs now in .9/.6/.9 wall. Used to be you could buy the tubes off the shelf, now you have to buy mininum quanities and Reynolds no longer has a USA based distributor so you pay shipping from GB.
It is very difficult if not impossible to find butted tubing in the standard frame sizes( 1.0, 1.125, 1.250) with butts thicker than .9/.6/.9 and even that thickness is becoming increasingly difficult to find. when I built the current frame I ride last spring I had to buy straight gauge 4130N to get more durable tubing.

Last edited by Cyclist0094; 12-03-03 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-14-03, 09:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rivendell Atlantis

Beautiful...frame & fork $990 until Jan 1, then goes up to $1400...Grant Peterson is right!...lugged steel by Toyo for half $ of custom...did I mention beautiful?
Old 12-14-03, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12197 Post(s)
Liked 1,498 Times in 1,109 Posts
BillyBear,
what did I miss? Which frame is $990?
Old 12-14-03, 01:09 PM
X-Large Member

Bikes: 2004 Rivendell Atlantis, 2004 Thorn eXp, 2004 Bob Brown Cycles Custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rivendell Atlantis.

Also, don't forget Thorn bikes for everything from light touring frames to hardcore expedition frames.