Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Velocity Deep V vs. Dyad

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Velocity Deep V vs. Dyad

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 08:36 AM

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Velocity Deep V vs. Dyad

I want to build up new wheels for my commuter and, after hearing many folks in favour of velocity in general, I decided to narrow it down to two contenders. My primary concern is strength and secondary is width. I get the impression that Dyads are considered tougher than Deep Vs, which could be a big factor since I'm around 200 lbs myself and tend to carry a lot of crap. But I've recently switched my current tires from 70-35 to 700-32. I doubt I'll want to go skinnier than 32s, but I could see myself trying to go has high as 38 in the future. But for the time being, I'm very happy with the 32s. Sheldon's page on the subject talks about interior rim width, but Velocity measures exterior rim width, so I'm a little confused about what works and what doesn't.

Depending on how much difference there is between exterior and interior measurements, it seems like the Deep Vs cover more of the range of tire I'm most likely to use, but given that the Dyads seem to be more geared towards weight and hard use, I really want to give them a fair shake.

Any thoughts from people who run either of these wheels?
Old 06-23-08, 09:22 PM
Year-round cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Dyad is stated at "24 mm" on Velocity's website, yet it's a bit narrower than the Mavic A-719 which is also 24 mm wide (exterior width).

You certainly can use 28 mm tires (real width) on the Dyad, but smaller than that would be a little bit tight. With narrower tires, you would risk scratching the rim if you fall in a crack i the pavement.
At the other extreme, I found that 37 mm tires (real width) work, yet look a bit wide on the Dyad. They look – and work – better on Mavic A-719 rims.

As for the Deep-V rim, it seems to be designed for 23-28 mm tires. 32 mm tires (real width) would be the widest possible.
Old 06-23-08, 09:39 PM

Bikes: Surley Crosscheck, 1988 Rockhopper Commuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velocity included 32mm in tire size for Deep-v (per email from them). I have shwalbe Marathon plus 32mm on it and some time feel it squirm in a hard corner. I love the rim otherwise. It held me at 210, a child 30 # on a kid seat and pulled a second child on a trailer.

Eric
Old 06-24-08, 05:22 AM

Thanks for the input. So it sounds like the Deep Vs are too narrow for me since they will take, at most, the narrowest tire I might want to use.
The Dyad sounds like it fits more in the range I want and that at least the two sizes I'm most likely to use, 32 and 35, should fit comfortably, with fatter possibly being a problem. That's good to know because I was worried that the Dyads would be too wide, but it sounds like if anything they may not take the fattest tire I might want to use.
I'll take a look at the Mavic A-719s, too. But it seems like I keep reading the words "Dyad" and "Bombproof" together, which is really what I'm hoping for. My current wheels need regular truing and fairly frequent spoke replacement. I'd really like to build something a lot sturdier for the next round.
Old 06-24-08, 08:45 AM

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly, I don't think you'd have problems with 37s on the Dyad. Not to say that ericthered's input is false, but the Dyad is a plenty wide rim for it.

I rode 32s on my Mavic MA3s all winter, which are 19mm wide, and at 210 lbs, sometimes with child on rack or trailer, I never had ANY squirrelliness.
Old 06-24-08, 09:00 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not familiar with Dyad, but I had some Velocity Deep V's on my single speed.
They looked really cool but it was a major biatch trying to find tubes with valve stems that were long enough to give my pump enough to grip onto. And the valve stem extensions I had were kind of a pain. Just something to think about.
Old 06-24-08, 09:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with everything Michel said above.

I have Dyad rim on one of my wheels, but if I were to build it again, I'd have chosen Mavic A-719. Mavic has eyelets and accepts wider tires, but is more expensive. That's it in a nutshell for me.

Perhaps my preference for Mavic comes form the fact that most my wheels have Open Pro rims, and I got used to the look and feel?

Anyway: good luck whichever rim you choose.

Others may know more though.
Old 06-24-08, 02:12 PM

Thanks for info everybody. I guess Deep Vs are totally out, but now I'll have to decide between Dyads and Mavic A-719s. They were not even on my radar before, so I'll have to do a little more digging on them. Thanks again.
Old 06-24-08, 10:30 PM

Bikes: CAAD 9-4, SJ EVO Comp 29er, Trek 6700, Franken Commuter, CAAD cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was sold on the Dyads as well and after some research ended up buying Salsa Delgados. Just another option for your evoked set.

KT
Old 06-25-08, 01:46 AM
DevasTaTor!!!

Bikes: Fixieeeeeee..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
doooodd

i've seen a guy that weighs approx about 300lbs and he rocks velocitys.
you don't even have to trip.
i'd go with the velos.
Old 06-25-08, 03:03 AM
Seeing things

Bikes: '73 Bertin, '04 LeMond Poprad, Miyata 1000, and counting...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dyads are very nice rims. FWIW, I've run 50mm Big Apples on them with no problems (really like those tires a lot in the rain).
Old 06-26-08, 07:02 PM

Bikes: 2005 Surly Steamroller, 2003 Surly Pacer, 2009 Surly LHT, 2010 Surly LHT, 2007 Surly CrossCheck, 1988 Schwinn Prologue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dyad +1
I had a wheelset built up with Dyads a couple months ago and I rock 32c Randonneurs. I weigh about 210 and frequently haul a messenger bag with a case of beer and a saddlebag full of stuff(grocery run!) on some crappy roads and trails and I couldn't be happier with the wheels.
Old 11-15-09, 08:32 PM

Location: My family and I -- wife and two young children -- live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bikes: TST ti 'cross bike (commuter); Guru ti road bike; recumbent; Airnimal Chameleon folding racing bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, I just got the Dyads, but haven't installed them on my bike yet. They are with XT hubs and DT stainless spokes.

I'll have a report once I've ridden on them for a while. I liked the fact that they were about ~60 grams (per rim for a total of ~120 grams) lighter than the Mavics to which they are often compared.

I think I'll use them with 'gatorskins @ 700 x 28mm and perhaps with schwalbe marathons @ 700 x 35.
Old 11-15-09, 08:36 PM

Bikes: Soma Doublecross DC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the Velocity Chukker: https://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=700
Old 11-15-09, 09:42 PM

Bikes: Trek 2.3, Trek FX-7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by intheways
I think this has been discussed here before, but the Chukker is a bike-polo rim, and it was not compatible with rim brakes (bike poloists ride fixies without brakes). If Velocity have changed this to allow for brakes, then it might be useful for commuting (unless you use disc brakes or a fixie).
Old 11-15-09, 11:10 PM
just pokin' along

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tkehler
I think I'll use them with 'gatorskins @ 700 x 28mm and perhaps with schwalbe marathons @ 700 x 35.
Well, since Gatorskins seem a bit narrow for their stated size, I'd be curious to know how they fit and ride on Dyads.
Old 11-16-09, 12:04 AM

Location: My family and I -- wife and two young children -- live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bikes: TST ti 'cross bike (commuter); Guru ti road bike; recumbent; Airnimal Chameleon folding racing bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by desertdork
Well, since Gatorskins seem a bit narrow for their stated size, I'd be curious to know how they fit and ride on Dyads.
I'll try to remember to post about it. It'll be at least a week before I get the bike assembled, because of work/kids etc.

Yes, the 'Gatorskins in a 28mm size are just inside the lower limit for the Dyad rims, but that's on paper. We'll see whether the real world is different...
Old 11-17-09, 02:02 AM

Bikes: 2005 Surly Steamroller, 2003 Surly Pacer, 2009 Surly LHT, 2010 Surly LHT, 2007 Surly CrossCheck, 1988 Schwinn Prologue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_antares
the Chukker is a bike-polo rim, and it was not compatible with rim brakes (bike poloists ride fixies without brakes)
Wrong and ignorant information.
Old 11-17-09, 07:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
commuting on Dyad rims to the tune of 30 miles a day through the horrible city streets of Boston. Wheels are true and straight. Love them.
Old 11-17-09, 08:08 AM
Justin

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, KHS Urban Uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another to throw in the mix I have had Dt Swiss TK series rims on my cross bike for three years, even when I ripped out some spokes all on the drive side in a freak accident the darn things still rolled me home. I take these on the mtb trails and all and they have held up have had them ever so slightly trued once. Have run between 25-38 on them no problems.
Old 11-17-09, 10:28 AM
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tkehler
I'll try to remember to post about it. It'll be at least a week before I get the bike assembled, because of work/kids etc.

Yes, the 'Gatorskins in a 28mm size are just inside the lower limit for the Dyad rims, but that's on paper. We'll see whether the real world is different...
For what it's worth, I ride the 28mm Gatorskins on my Mavic A719's -- commuting, half-loaded touring, even winter training with the club. They come just a little out from the rim -- I wouldn't want them any smaller -- but I've had zero problems so far.
Old 11-17-09, 12:05 PM
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A general rule of thumb for determining internal width of hook bead rims when only external width is given is to subtract 5mm from the external width.

I am running a pair of 25mm Schwalbe Stelvio Plus tires on Dyad rims with no problems so far. The Stelvio Plus is a tire which, at least on the Dyads, is slightly wider than the liste ETRTO width. I would not want to go any narrower.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 11-17-09, 02:49 PM

Bikes: Gerry Fisher Nirvana, LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bornagainst
Dyad +1
I had a wheelset built up with Dyads a couple months ago and I rock 32c Randonneurs. I weigh about 210 and frequently haul a messenger bag with a case of beer and a saddlebag full of stuff(grocery run!) on some crappy roads and trails and I couldn't be happier with the wheels.
Same here. I got my 1st Dyad wheel when I had Peter White build me a generator hub wheel for the front of my commuter. I have the 32 spoke front. My bike weighs about 65 Lbs fully loaded (32 Lbs bike add to that a heavy duty U lock and cable, handlebar bag, saddle bags carrying my days food and drink, clothing etc, and you get to that weight). I weigh about 215 Lbs on top of that. The front wheel has been on for 4000 miles of year round commuting and looks just about as good as new. I finally had enough of the rear wheel breaking spokes on me (one full replacement under warrentee as well... OEM wheels tend to be suck). In the rear I now have a Dyad with 36 spokes and an XT hub, also built by Peter White. I've got about 1000 miles on that wheel and so far it is perfect. Neither wheel has needed even a tiny bit of adjustment. For the Summer I ride on 32mm Bontrager Hard Case tires. For the Winter I ride on 35mm Nokia W106. Both fit fine. The Dyads have been excellent wheels... infinitely better than the the OEM bontrager Cameo wheels. So the wheels cost as much as the rest of my bike, but they will last for years and years to come (as will the rest of my bike). Normal retail bikes in the USA just can't handle the stress of commuting when you weight just over 200 Lbs and you need to take a bunch of studd with you each day.

Happy riding,
André
Old 11-18-09, 07:12 AM

Bikes: LHT + FreeRadical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spreader
I was sold on the Dyads as well and after some research ended up buying Salsa Delgados. Just another option for your evoked set.

KT
+1. I actually have both of these rims right now and like the delgados better. I've been commuting and racing cyclocross on the delgados for over a year and have never had to true them. Nothing wrong with the dyads though.
Old 11-20-09, 05:45 AM
Newbie? Gotta be kidding

Bikes: 2003 Co-Motion Americano custom, 1984 or so Davidson tandem, 1986 or so Counterpoint Opus III tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have experience with a variety of rims, but I've been running Dyads (40°) on my Co-Motion, with tires sized somewhere between 35 and 38, for the past six years. I commute about 7 miles daily with a decent load, sometimes pulling a trailer, and do the occasional recreational ride and longer tour. I'm quite satisfied with their durability. They certainly hold up to commuting in an urban environment, curbs and all. My son keeps telling me to keep my bike cleaner, especially my rims, but I'm rather lackadaisical about that. Which is probably why I now need to replace them - the brake pads have worn the rims down considerably. I plan to stick with the Dyads.

You may find this thread in the forum interesting - it talks about supposedly-undersized Dyad rims and their interactions with tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.