Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Polar and LOOK Launch Together Power Pedals

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-10, 05:33 PM
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

'Available Spring 2011'. A pedal-based system might be just the thing for tandem teams. This should help spur MetriGear along.

Originally Posted by Polar
2010/09/01

Polar and LOOK, the inventor and leader in clipless pedals, have merged their expertise to introduce the first clipless pedal that measures power output and cadence. Kéo Power is a must-have novelty for the ambitious cyclists who want to reach their maximum potential.

Polar P5 power transmitters and Look Kéo Power pedals comprise together the first-ever power measurement system integrated in the pedals. Easy to attach to cranks and switch between the bikes, each pedal comes with eight embedded gauges for extreme precision in power measurement. The two power transmitters relay the data from the sensors directly to a compatible Polar cycling computer on the bike’s handlebars.

Kéo Power gives instant feedback by measuring accurate power output in watts from both the left and the right pedal separately. By revealing the cyclist’s left/right balance between the legs, the system helps perfect cycling technique. In addition, current and average cadence is essential for those willing to optimize their cycling economy.

The system is compatible with Polar CS600X and CS500 cycling computers and works with any crankset on the market. The CS500 displays power output and cadence, whereas the CS600X reveals the left/right balance and Cycling Efficiency Index as well. The Polar LOOK Kéo Power system will become available in spring 2011.
Pics (courtesy WW), where the speculation is that these are licensed MetriGear.

The promo video:

Last edited by Ritterview; 09-01-10 at 09:45 PM. Reason: pics
Old 09-02-10, 01:14 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Polar and LOOK, the inventor and leader in clipless pedals,
I may be wrong, but I had a pair of Cinelli clipless pedals several years before I saw any Looks on the market. We nicknamed the Cinellis "death pedals" because of 1.) To release you had to reach down and push in a button on the side (if you fell over it was usually released by the ground) and 2.) Their spindles had a tendency to break (always under maximum load, of course).

My captain says if I want to know her power output or compare I must be too controlling and should push aside such thoughts by pedaling harder.
Old 09-02-10, 11:22 AM
Tandem Mountain Climber

Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Litespeed Gravel, SuperSix Evo HM, Larry vs. Harry Bullitt (e-cargo)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
This is crap... I mean I would totally want it, but it would have to be ANT+ and work with my Garmin.

WTF are they thinking.
Old 09-02-10, 11:45 AM
enginerd

Bikes: Black Cat SS, Ibis Ripley v4, Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
$1900-$2300... for pedals. So, $3800-4600 for a tandem.

Cool concept, but definitely not for us.
Old 09-02-10, 12:52 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by uspspro
This is crap... I mean I would totally want it, but it would have to be ANT+ and work with my Garmin.

WTF are they thinking.
It is lousy that Metrigear didn't make it. Speedplay based and ANT+ would have been fanastic.

Now I need new pedals ,new shoes, and a new head unit.

I'm sure Polar was thinking that this is there way to stay relevant, and that's why they wanted to use their proprietary system for the wireless connection.

And I'm with Ritterview, its likely a license of Metrigear's technology.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-02-10, 01:06 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by jeff^d
$1900-$2300... for pedals. So, $3800-4600 for a tandem.

Cool concept, but definitely not for us.
I didn't see the $1900-$2300 estimate. Metrigear was saying they would be priced around $1,000 (of course you could set the price at $50 if you never actually sold any.)

If it does hit the market at $2000, I think they're going to be less than an overwhelming hit. A Quarq which is ANT+ can be had for $1600 with crank.

And the advantages of the pedal based system, other than on a tandem are not that significant.
Old 09-02-10, 01:10 PM
pan y agua

Originally Posted by Ritterview
'Available Spring 2011'. . This should help spur MetriGear along.

I could be wrong, but I think Metrigear is dead. They've constantly pushed off their release date, and now don't even have an estimate.

When they announced their system would not be speedplay based, I think that was pretty much it.

Either they had insurmountable technical problems, not enough capital, or both.

When this all plays out, I think you'll find that Metrigear completely folds, and they likely got a few bucks to license the technology, assign patent rights, share info etc. with Polar.
Old 09-02-10, 02:04 PM
enginerd

Bikes: Black Cat SS, Ibis Ripley v4, Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I didn't see the $1900-$2300 estimate. Metrigear was saying they would be priced around $1,000 (of course you could set the price at $50 if you never actually sold any.)
I found the estimated price at this Bicycling Magazine article: https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/...o-power-pedals
Old 09-02-10, 03:06 PM
pan y agua

Also 448 grams is rather heavy. I don't see this stacking up well against the Quarq. At 250 grams for the power meter it's the heavier than Quarq, SRM, or the better Powertaps.

looks like it would be slightly easier to move around on bikes, but with the added piece on each pedal, its not going to be much easier than moving a quarq wihich is a 5 minute job.

Pedals get banged up more than cranks so you have to think about the durability.

IThe independent leg measurements would be cool , but I'm not sure how big a deal that really is.

So the only clear cut case for it is on a tandem, and that looks to be awfully expensive.
Old 09-02-10, 03:42 PM
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Also 448 grams is rather heavy. I don't see this stacking up well against the Quarq. At 250 grams for the power meter it's the heavier than Quarq, SRM, or the better Powertaps.
That includes the pedals.

Originally Posted by Bicycling Magazine
- 448 grams (both pedals and transmitters)
The Look Keo Carbon Max weighs 248 grams. So, the extra weight is 200 grams, isn't it?
Old 09-02-10, 04:07 PM
pan y agua

That includes the pedals.

The Look Keo Carbon Max weighs 248 grams. So, the extra weight is 200 grams, isn't it?
I was using the weight for speedplays. Admittedly the Look weight is a more direct comparison.

But for someone runnning Quarq/Speedplays it's going to be measurably heavier.

I'm still po'd at Metrigear for not getting their Speedplay base dsystem to the market.
Old 09-02-10, 05:07 PM
Tandem Vincitur

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm still po'd at Metrigear for not getting their Speedplay base dsystem to the market.
This may be the MetriGear system. I've looked at the numerous and highly technical posts on the Google Wattage forum about this, and still nobody seems to know whether it is or isn't licensed MetriGear. There is evidence going both ways.

You'd think that if it has nothing to do with MetriGear, a tweet to that effect would have been issued. But no.

Many are disappointed that it isn't ANT+, but others note that ANT+ is owned by Garmin, and that low energy Bluetooth will be much better anyway, ultimately rendering ANT+ to the ash heap of history.
Old 09-02-10, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
I don't need a power meter, I know how hard I am going and if I could or wanted to go harder I would.
I think its a preoccupation and distraction from enjoying the simple pleasure of riding a bike.
Old 09-02-10, 11:58 PM
shut up and ride

Bikes: supersix hi-mod,burley duet tandem,woodrup track,cannondale cross,specialized road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jnbrown
I don't need a power meter, I know how hard I am going and if I could or wanted to go harder I would.
I think its a preoccupation and distraction from enjoying the simple pleasure of riding a bike.
if riding around yes there's no need, if training for racing then it's quite helpful
Old 09-04-10, 07:02 AM

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After buying a Polar Heart Monitor/Computer using infrared that would not work I swore I would never own another one of their products. Customer Service was a loop to nowhere.
The product was frustrating junk. It took three tries to get off their email list.
Old 09-05-10, 07:46 PM
pan y agua

Originally Posted by jnbrown
Training however is not just a matter of going as hard as you can,

Taining is often a mattter of working the particular energy system you're targeting, identifying your limiter, training your weaknesses and racing your strengths (see Coggin and Allen's Training and Racing with Power)

If you want to identify your strengths and weeknesses as a cyclist and then engage in a systematic traing program to address your weaknesses, and race your strengths, a pwoer meter is an invaluable tool.

The added variable of two cycilsts on a team would only add to the value of a pwoer meter to systematically make the team stronger, and identify team weaknesses, and the causes thereof.

If you just want to ride for the fun of it, I'd agree a power meter isn't worth the money, and might even be a negative.
Old 09-21-10, 06:21 PM
Tandem Vincitur

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The plot thickens for pedal-based power meters.

Garmin acquires MetriGear, adding cycling power to fitness portfolio

Originally Posted by Garmin Press Release
Garmin Ltd., the global leader in satellite navigation, announced today that it has acquired MetriGear, Inc., the creator of an innovative pedal-based power solution for cycling, as a new and exciting component of its growing fitness division.

MetriGear is a Silicon Valley-based company devoted to creating game-changing solutions for improving athletic performance in cycling and other sports.

“Power is becoming the must-have information for cyclists who want to improve their performance,” said Cliff Pemble, Garmin’s President and COO. “Adding MetriGear’s talents and technologies to the Garmin family is a natural fit as we share a passion for fitness and are dedicated to making advanced technology affordable and easy to use.”
This is a great development for prospects of tandem power meters. Metrigear had ominously gone crickets-chirping, and had pulled out of Interbike. Just as the obits are being written, the announcement that Garmin is involved hopefully puts everything to rights, and helps accelerate the Vector's introduction. That the press release uses the A-word, affordable, is also hopeful (especially for double-purchase tandems) Look-Polar weren't using the word affordable to describe their $2000 offering.
Old 09-22-10, 02:03 PM
pan y agua

^ this is good news. A better priced ANT+ based system would be great.

If Garmin gets it to market soon, I think the Look/Polar system is in trouble, particularly if Polar doesn't develop a better head unit.
Old 09-22-10, 03:12 PM
Tandem Vincitur

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^ this is good news. A better priced ANT+ based system would be great.

If Garmin gets it to market soon, I think the Look/Polar system is in trouble, particularly if Polar doesn't develop a better head unit.
Yup. The Garmin/Metrigear promises to be less than $2000, sooner, ANT+, and with a fully developed GPS-endowed head unit. What would be the point of the Polar/Look?

Old 06-09-11, 11:44 PM
Tandem Vincitur

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
FWIW, an interesting post and thread from the Slowtwitch forum

Originally Posted by Slowtwitch forum

Garmin (Metrigear) Vector Pedal Release Date Info.

I talked with someone yesterday who gave me a bit of inside scoop on what the latest is with the Garmin(Metrigear) Vector Pedal.

The pedal is going to be released at Interbike with immediate availability.

The pedal I think is going to be called The Garmin Vector Pedal.

The Price point on it will be around $1,500

From what I understand it will still only be available in a speedplay pedal, in fact it might not even be an actual speedplay pedal, but speedplay clips will work with these pedals ( for what that's worth).

We could start to see some information or hints about the product during the Tour de France.

Also each spindal in the pedal I believe will have 36 strain gauges, something like 9x's the number of strain gauges PowerTap & SRM use (Don't hold me feet to the fire on what Powertap & SRM have, I don't know for sure, this is just what I was told).

These pedals have been tested for the last year and are supposed to be very accurate at producing the same data over and over.

There will be some kind of a battery pack on the crank arms that is supposed to be very slick/slim. From what I hear the battery will be lithium Ion and the weight for these is supposed to be around 30 grams.
Down thread, Jonnyo casts doubt on this post:

Originally Posted by Jonnyo
Your inside scoop was very perhaps misinformed..... While i cant give up the info yet, please take all this with a grain of salt.... your contact simply didnt know much....lots of errors in the info you give away
Jonathan Caron
Professional Triathlete and Coach
jonnyoworld.blogspot.com
If it is misinformed, I hope it was about the pedals. Neither of us would want Speedplay. Too hard to walk around in at the coffee shop!

Do not want!
Old 06-10-11, 04:36 AM

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wait.

Wait 2 or 3 years and the price will be half of what it is now. The products will probably work better after the mfgs have time to work out the bugs. Also, most likely there will more choices in this market.

For us. We'll stick with our HR monitors. Maybe not as accurate as PM. But, simple, cheap, easy to move from bike to bike.
Old 09-28-11, 04:32 PM
Tandem Vincitur

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Garmin Vector was introduced at Interbike, and is slated for release March 2012, for $1,500. A detailed review here.
  • Look Keo-compatible pedals, supplied by Exustar.
  • Head unit not included in $1500.
  • Edge 500, 705 and 800 will work.
  • Edge 705 will not display % right vs. left.
  • Left pedal transmits to right, which transmits to head unit. Thus tandem teams cannot share one pair for unilateral power, unless two right pedals are used.

Old 09-28-11, 05:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Left pedal transmits to right, which transmits to head unit. Thus tandem teams cannot share one pair for unilateral power, unless two right pedals are used.
I'm willing to bet good money that you can't share using two rights, period, unless you have an inside source that can reprogram firmware. The right pedal is going to be "permanently" associated to one left pedal ID, and is not going to be able to listen to another right pedal.

Not that I trust the release dates, but this was announced about two weeks after I ordered twin Quarqs for our tandem. The Garmin units would have made life easier, but in the end our dealer had the Quarqs on and running fairly quickly (after an unfortunate trip back to Quarq to work on the left, even though they were told).
Old 09-28-11, 06:33 PM
Tandem Vincitur

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by p2templin
I'm willing to bet good money that you can't share using two rights, period, unless you have an inside source that can reprogram firmware. The right pedal is going to be "permanently" associated to one left pedal ID, and is not going to be able to listen to another right pedal.
I was thinking that the captain and stoker would both have Vector right pedals, and conventional left pedals. Each right pedal would transmit interdependently, directly to the respective captain's and stoker's head units. The power for each right pedal would be doubled, to estimate the rider's total power assuming 50% of the power is from the right. Thus one right pedal would not need to listen to another right pedal. I don't think that Vector is going to cotton to, or support, these one-pedal power users, and will only sell pedals in left & right pairs.

Originally Posted by p2templin
...this was announced about two weeks after I ordered twin Quarqs for our tandem. The Garmin units would have made life easier, but in the end our dealer had the Quarqs on and running fairly quickly (after an unfortunate trip back to Quarq to work on the left, even though they were told).
The problems of getting crank-based power meters to work on a tandem were discussed on this thread, and without any resolution. The thorniest problem is measurement of reverse torque with the Captain's left side sync spider. These problems are such that most interested in tandem power measurement appear to be waiting for the pedal-based meters.

So, it would be interesting to know as much as possible about your dual Quarqs were set up. Photographs would be nice.

Also, what cranks were used? I've not seen where Quarq has a CinQo spider for a triple crank, let alone a tandem. Does your tandem have a double?

Last edited by Ritterview; 09-28-11 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-28-11, 07:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problems of getting crank-based power meters to work on a tandem were discussed on this thread, and without any resolution. The thorniest problem is measurement of reverse torque with the Captain's left side sync spider. These problems are such that most interested in tandem power measurement appear to be waiting for the pedal-based meters.

So, it would be interesting to know as much as possible about your dual Quarqs were set up. Photographs would be nice.

Also, what cranks were used? I've not seen where Quarq has a CinQo spider for a triple crank, let alone a tandem. Does your tandem have a double?
You could say we cheated, in that we ride a daVinci. Since they normally have 34T rings on the left side driving the intermediate driveshaft, replacing the DV ring with a Quarq ring was "merely" an exercise in engineering. Our dealer cut out the FSA-fit "center" so they'd fit "around" the DV crank, cut out the inner portion of two sacrificial DV rings, and sandwiched the Quarq between the sacrificial "fit ring" and the crankarm. The only other aspect, which Quarq forgot on the first go-round, was to program the units to read in the opposite direction. This also required a longer spindle stoker BB to counter the offset of the Quarq (it's expecting a 50T big ring, which doesn't exist).

I don't have good pictures handy, other than the two on the main page for houseoftandems.com (below the green-spoked Spinergy wheel).

When I first approached the project, I assumed the hard part was reverse torque. Jim at Quarq was quick to point out that reverse torque is an easy fix, whereas it'd be the backwards pedal threads if a standard unit were to be flipped for left-side drive. Our dealer initially planned to attack that problem by ordering undrilled FSA or SRAM cranks; apparently that wasn't so easy given certain Quarq variables.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.