Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mondia - Anyone Know This Marque? CL Find

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-12, 08:11 PM
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

So as I was digging around the DC Craigslist this morning, I noticed a listing for a bike called a Mondia that caught my eye. It appeared to be in pretty good shape with some very nice details and very little patina that I could see on the bike. The bike was listed for $75 but I made an offer of $50 which the gentleman was willing to accept given that he could see I was an enthusuiast. So as it turns out, I've got another bike in the stable that is a little outside of my usual interest area of interest. With that said, I'm looking for a little bit of advice on this.

Since it has Campagnola gear, I will want to convert it to an IGH and initially thought that a Sturmey AW would be a good fit, but I'm thinking that it may actually be better suited to something like a Shimano Alfine 11 or a Rohloff Speedhub. I can tell this baby's going to want to fly! Since the bike is a mid-70's model (I think it is a 1976), I'll need to have the drops coldset to accomodate the 130mm or 135mm spacing. Also because I'm not very fond of square taper cranks, I think a set of cottered cranks may work very well. I have a set of Chater-Lea style cranks that I think will work nicely with this machine. Does anyone know what kind of threading this BB might have so I can get the proper cups?

Anyway, as usual, input is appreciated! The pictures were hastily taken this evening after I picked it up so I apologize for the quality. I'll hopefully get better ones over the weekend. Here she is...

EDIT: Because I don't want to see too many people here on the forums have a stroke or have a contract put out on me, this is actually NOT my bike, and it will NOT be converted to an IGH. This is actually a bike that I facilitated for a fellow forum member. The bike will soon be delivered intact to its rightful owner who will enjoy the bike immensely. I think it is a beautiful bike and was glad to help out a fellow forum member. I saw an opportunity to have a little fun and hope I didn't rile too many people with my threats of converting the bike to an IGH and putting cottered cranks on the bike besides.

Mondia - 1 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Mondia - 2 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Mondia - 3 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Mondia - 4 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Mondia - 5 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Mondia - 6 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Mondia - 7 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Mondia - 8 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Mondia - 9 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Mondia - 10 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Last edited by photogravity; 01-18-12 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-18-12, 08:15 PM
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mondia - 11 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Mondia - 12 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Mondia - 13 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Mondia - 14 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Mondia - 15 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Mondia - 16 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Mondia - 17 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Mondia - 18 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Mondia - 19 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Mondia - 20 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr
Old 01-18-12, 08:18 PM

Bikes: Bob Jackson Super Tourer, '83 Trek 700, Gazelle Champ Mondial, Nishiki Comp II, Moto Grand Record, Peugeot UO-10 SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Holy smokes you got a great deal on that. The Mondias are Swiss, I believe. And Reynolds 531 too, yeah? Unfortunately if the BB is swiss threaded, you're looking at an expensive Phil Wood replacement. Since you paid a few hundred less than you could've for the bike though, you can splurge!

Well done. That pinstriping is so dang cool.

Jesse
Old 01-18-12, 08:23 PM

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Fifty bucks!!! Holy smokes! Deal of the year!
Not that my opinion matters, but I would hate to see any changes on this beautiful bike.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 01-18-12, 08:27 PM
Hopelessly addicted...

Originally Posted by jebensch
Holy smokes you got a great deal on that. The Mondias are Swiss, I believe. And Reynolds 531 too, yeah? Unfortunately if the BB is swiss threaded, you're looking at an expensive Phil Wood replacement. Since you paid a few hundred less than you could've for the bike though, you can splurge!

Well done. That pinstriping is so dang cool.

Jesse
Thanks Jesse! I'm pretty stoked about it. I do think it is Reynolds 531. It is super light for a big frame like this. I think it's a 60cm or 62cm which makes it a teensy big for me, but for what I paid I don't much care.

I can hardly wait to figure out which IGH I'll be converting it to. I figure I can the sell the piece of **** Campy derailleurs to finance a really nice internal gear hub.
Old 01-18-12, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Amazing find! The 1st generation Rally derailleur is worth at least twice that. BTW, Stone's Cyclery is still in business in Alameda. I would like to echo the sentiment that this bike better be kept the way it is.
Old 01-18-12, 08:36 PM
Hopelessly addicted...

Originally Posted by Chris W.
Fifty bucks!!! Holy smokes! Deal of the year!
Not that my opinion matters, but I would hate to see any changes on this beautiful bike.

Cheers,
Chris
I seriously think it is a great bike, but I think my signature in the forums says it all. For lack of a better term, I've never met an internal gear hub I didn't like! My antipathy for derailleurs runs VERY deep to put it mildly.
Old 01-18-12, 08:42 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm not usually the one to be saying "I think you should keep it original" but....

I think you should sell it complete and fund a bike more suited to your tastes.
Old 01-18-12, 08:43 PM
Hopelessly addicted...

Originally Posted by MetinUz
Amazing find! The 1st generation Rally derailleur is worth at least twice that. BTW, Stone's Cyclery is still in business in Alameda. I would like to echo the sentiment that this bike better be kept the way it is.
Well, I really don't know much about Campy stuff. I hear it is pretty nice if you want to constantly tinker with it, but I want to ride my bikes instead of adjusting the stinkin' derailleurs until the cows come home. That's just my two cents, but I am in LOVE with this bike already and don't want it to be a museum piece. I ride all the bikes in my collection.
Old 01-18-12, 08:53 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by photogravity
Well, I really don't know much about Campy stuff. I hear it is pretty nice if you want to constantly tinker with it, but I want to ride my bikes instead of adjusting the stinkin' derailleurs until the cows come home. That's just my two cents, but I am in LOVE with this bike already and don't want it to be a museum piece. I ride all the bikes in my collection.
I keep thinking your posts are sarcastic but then I realize they aren't and I'm left puzzled... The only thing I've ever had to do to a derailleur after setting the limit screws is give a twist or two to the barrel adjuster once the cables stretch / break in. Were you abused by derailleurs as a child or something?
Old 01-18-12, 08:53 PM
Hopelessly addicted...

Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars
I'm not usually the one to be saying "I think you should keep it original" but....

I think you should sell it complete and fund a bike more suited to your tastes.
Hey 4Rings6Stars, I appreciate your candor... Actually, it seems you're the third person that's saying they'd leave it as is. What really is the rub with converting it to an IGH? For some reason people seem to assume that folks like me who like IGH want heavy bikes, but that can't be farther than the truth. I really do want a light responsive bike but I don't want the hassle of an derailleur. Are there ways to make derailleurs more reliable and less needful of constant attention? Maybe I've just had cheapo derailleurs in the past...

Last edited by photogravity; 01-18-12 at 08:56 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-18-12, 08:57 PM
Señor Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hey 4Rings6Stars, I appreciate your candor... Actually, it seems you're the third person that's saying they'd leave it as is. What really is the rub with converting it to an IGH? For some reason people seem to assume that folks like me who like IGH want heavy bikes, but that can't be farther than the truth. I really do want a light responsive bike but I don't want the hassle of an derailleur. Are there ways to make derailleurs more reliable and less needful of constant attention?
Read the post above that one...

I've ridden everything from bike boom Shimano derailleurs driven by 3 lb. stem shifters to 80's Campy Super Record, 90's Dura Ace and modern Campy Record. I would never describe any of them as unreliable or in need of constant attention. Set them up once and forget they are there.
Old 01-18-12, 09:04 PM

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I know folks here will love this bike but I say go ahead. You only live once and broken up into its components, you stand to make a good buck. Go for it!

You know taking another look at it, I'll bet it is full chrome under that paint. Since it looks pretty ratty, if you have to strip it off, it would still look pretty cool IMHO.

Last edited by fender1; 01-18-12 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-18-12, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Well, since you mentioned "input appreciated" in your initial post, and since your other posts seem to regularly dangle bait with provocative statements regarding Campagnolo gear ...I'll bite. Your two cents about "constantly tinkering" with Campy derailleurs shows a fundamental lack of understanding and knowledge, which, to your credit, you admit to. I've got a Nuovo Record on a bike I haven't adjusted in years and it works fine. To read of your plan to, yet again, put an internally geared hub on a bike, and this bike in particular, tells me that this fine old Swiss machine has probably fallen into the wrong hands and would probably be better off in the possession of someone who appreciates it for what it is. A "stinkin' derailleur" is a beautiful, simple and effective device. Sorry if that's harsh, and it isn't going to do any good, but that's my input.
Old 01-18-12, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kurt K. has clear plastic box for that Campy Rally. That is the best place for Campy items, in a plastic box. I heard the cages on those explode like a Viscount death fork or Kogswell frame. Grand Bois says they are stamped from tinfoil. He is always right.

Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars
Read the post above that one...

I've ridden everything from bike boom Shimano derailleurs driven by 3 lb. stem shifters to 80's Campy Super Record, 90's Dura Ace and modern Campy Record. I would never describe any of them as unreliable or in need of constant attention. Set them up once and forget they are there.
Old 01-18-12, 09:11 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by jebensch
I agree, you got one heck of a deal!

Another option if you need to replace the bottom bracket (not a forgone conclusion -- those Campy bottom brackets are well-nigh indestructible) is a threadless cartridge from e.g. Velo-Orange.
Old 01-18-12, 09:13 PM
Hopelessly addicted...

Originally Posted by fender1
I know folks here will love this bike but I say go ahead. You only live once and broken up into its components, you stand to make a good buck. Go for it!
Hey fender... I understand wanting to keep a bike original. Seriously. In the case of my 1951 Hercules Lion, which is entirely original down to the tires, I can see not wanting to change it. But I'm not afraid to change things up a bit if it is going to make me want to ride the bike more. Look at my Peugeut PX-8, for instance - I converted it to a Sturmey 8-speed hub and it made the bike much more usable from my perspective. Actually, I liked the results so much that I'm in the midst of converting my 1967 Carlton to a SRAM i-Motion 9, an act of heresy to many here on the forums, I'm sure.

It is all about riding after all, isn't it?
Old 01-18-12, 09:18 PM
Hopelessly addicted...

Originally Posted by rootboy
Well, since you mentioned "input appreciated" in your initial post, and since your other posts seem to regularly dangle bait with provocative statements regarding Campagnolo gear ...I'll bite. Your two cents about "constantly tinkering" with Campy derailleurs shows a fundamental lack of understanding and knowledge, which, to your credit, you admit to. I've got a Nuovo Record on a bike I haven't adjusted in years and it works fine. To read of your plan to, yet again, put an internally geared hub on a bike, and this bike in particular, tells me that this fine old Swiss machine has probably fallen into the wrong hands and would probably be better off in the possession of someone who appreciates it for what it is. A "stinkin' derailleur" is a beautiful, simple and effective device. Sorry if that's harsh, and it isn't going to do any good, but that's my input.
I did ask for input and that means those that are agree as well as disagree. Your opinions aren't harsh, just truthful and I appreciate your honesty.
Old 01-18-12, 09:22 PM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Great deal. Mondias, despite being Swiss, have French thread bottom brackets, BTW. I personally wouldn't mess with the paint, those fade paint jobs are an all time fave of mine.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 01-18-12, 09:35 PM
Hopelessly addicted...

Originally Posted by Poguemahone
Great deal. Mondias, despite being Swiss, have French thread bottom brackets, BTW. I personally wouldn't mess with the paint, those fade paint jobs are an all time fave of mine.

Nice bike, Poguemahone! What year is yours? I do have to say that the fade paint is exceptionally well done. This needs a little cleaning, but overall is in exceptional condition for a 35+ year old bike.
Old 01-18-12, 09:38 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
too bad someone put a kickstand on it.

I always loved Mondias, probably because it was one of the few nice bikes I ever got to work on bitd.
Old 01-18-12, 09:44 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Wow, Dallas....just...wow!

You should've dug a little deeper in my Flickr account - you'd see the Mondia I restored (did a thread on it last year, too, I believe)

IGH or not, I hope you enjoy this. And if you spread the rear end (can it go back safely?) to accept the IGH, you could do worse than sell off the derailleurs and make a goodly portion of your investment back.

The frame is most likely full 531, including stays and fork blades. If the BB is marked "35x1" it's French, although I understand a few of these had the extremely rare Swiss threading. Personally, I'd clean up the paint but not repaint - it's a fade, which helps to hide imperfections and anyway, it doesn't look all that bad the way it sits.

I love mine - converted for crap-weather with fenders and the like. Nice long wheelbase compared to my racier bikes, this one is very forgiving and easy on the body over hours of saddle-time. You're in for a treat (if it fits - that's a big-boy bike!)

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 01-18-12 at 10:07 PM. Reason: mixed up "naming convention"
Old 01-18-12, 09:46 PM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Doen't everyone have a mondia in thier collection?

You could always save your original components for the next owner.
Old 01-18-12, 09:47 PM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Nice bike, Poguemahone! What year is yours? I do have to say that the fade paint is exceptionally well done. This needs a little cleaning, but overall is in exceptional condition for a 35+ year old bike.
About 1972. I paid three times what you paid for yours, for the frame alone. Yours is my size, so I am having trouble containing my envy. I can't figure out if I like my creamsicle paint job or your burnt fade more. Mine was in shape similar to yours now when I got it.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 01-18-12, 09:53 PM
Hopelessly addicted...

Originally Posted by unterhausen
too bad someone put a kickstand on it.

I always loved Mondias, probably because it was one of the few nice bikes I ever got to work on bitd.
unterhauser, the bicycle does not have a kickstand now. It does look like it may have possibly had one installed at one time, but that's no longer the case. The previous owner was using one of those contraptions that hangs around the BB spindle... Below is the contraption.

Stand by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.