Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-10, 01:24 PM

Bikes: 2015 Electra Townie 21d

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shakedown Ride Today

Took a short ride this morning to test ride an 82 Fuji Supreme I just got done restoring. It rides real smooth and it's pretty fast too The bike is solid and feels nice. I'd forgotten after all these years how much fun it is to ride on a steel frame bike. Still searching for a period correct stem and getting the brake levers adjusted so no bar tape on it yet. Frame is a bit tall for me but I can ride it OK. It will do till I find another vintage bike with a better fit.

Probably did only 8 or 10 miles as I didn't want to get too far from home just in case it acted up. The worrying was needless as the bike performed perfectly. Wish I could say the same thing for myself. Temp was pushing 99 which here in AZ feels worse and I know it's only going to get hotter so I'm going to pick up a trainer for the duration of the summer.

A few more pics here.

https://s403.photobucket.com/albums/pp119/60bass/done/
Old 06-06-10, 03:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
53 miles this morning, nice sunny day with temp in the 70's. Wish it would be the same for tomorrow.
Old 06-06-10, 04:41 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
101+ heat saved me some time. My 2 hours morning ride turned into 100 minutes. Wore out fast. Stinking heat came on fast.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 06-06-10, 08:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4 miles, my legs are all bruised and I wonder if I will ever get off the bike gracefully?
Old 06-06-10, 08:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kr32
Practice getting off not just when you are out for a ride but as a ride. Make the day of riding just practicing getting on and off. It will come with time.

I for one would not get a spouse a bike unless said spouse has shown interest in a bike. Even though one likes/loves, something and it is great does not mean one you love/like will too.
Might end up with a bike not getting used and sitting there with negative feeling on both sides, jmo though and that means nothing.
Thank you, I just saw this. He is expressing an interest. Said I made him sell our old bikes. They had been in the garage forever and we never used them. Now I am using it. Maybe I will wait but he has epressed the interest. I keep using the car to fall into to get off, looks kind of silly. I need to refigure out what I am supposed to be doing. Thanks for the input!
Old 06-06-10, 09:02 PM

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Much nicer day today than yesterday's 96°. Road to downtown KC, a 30+ mile round trip.
Old 06-07-10, 02:45 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1356 Post(s)
Liked 1,253 Times in 629 Posts
CIBA Ride in Indiana
5 riders, 58 nice miles

Steve locks his keys inside his rental car just after I took his photo.

Old 06-07-10, 04:15 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 657 Times in 235 Posts
Oh, yeah, I rode today. 10.19 miles around town just for the aerobic exercise. Came home, cleaned some brake pad material off one spot on the front rim. Used rubbing alcohol, don't know how much it did or whether the rim would have cleaned up without it. Maybe some seeped in between the rim and the tire. I left it sitting in the declining 6PM sun and a few minutes ago the tire went BANG! Blew off the rim where I'd been cleaning it. Wow. Good thing I wasn't riding at the time. Maybe 115psi isn't such a good idea on those old Fiamme Yellow label rims after all. The tire, a 27"x1" Pasella TG, seems okay. The tube has seen better days though.
Old 06-07-10, 04:52 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You bet. Finished cleaning the Tarmac Pro from yesterday's rainy race. Put on the full team kit, left the Carbon 58 tubulars on the bike and went off on a 45 min Z1 recovery ride. With an average speed of a whooping 17.7, I blew past some guy riding a mtb wearing blue jeans on a subdivision street. The high light of the ride was the three 8 year old girls on bmx bikes that I passed, I know I really impressed them.
Old 06-07-10, 04:57 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
You bet. Finished cleaning the Tarmac Pro from yesterday's rainy race. Put on the full team kit, left the Carbon 58 tubulars on the bike and went off on a 45 min Z1 recovery ride. With an average speed of a whooping 17.7, I blew past some guy riding a mtb wearing blue jeans on a subdivision street. The high light of the ride was the three 8 year old girls on bmx bikes that I passed, I know I really impressed them.
Hopefully, you waved or said hi before the sonic boom hit him. And if you did not, thank goodness it was not a woman commuter.
Old 06-07-10, 05:26 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
32 miles in 76° with RH of 42%, I think this might be the perfect weather for riding( at least for me) it was a bit windy though which I could do without but all in all a great after work ride.

Oh yeah I almost ran over a black snake, saw him at the last minute and just missed him. About 3 feet long.
Old 06-07-10, 06:12 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Spent some time doing some long overdue cleaning and lubing on my commuter yesterday afternoon. So naturally it was a wet commute this morning. At least the drivetrain was quiet and it rode nicely.
Old 06-07-10, 06:29 PM
Courtney Charvet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I left the house a little late on my commute this morning, so it was more "spirited" than usual. I beat the rain home this afternoon. Since I started a few weeks ago I've gotten very wet over 50% of the time.
Old 06-07-10, 08:39 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
Didn't blow past anybody this evening on a 12.5 mile ride at 17mph. Very pleasant 70ish temps.
Old 06-08-10, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
55 miles, 80 degrees, sunny, 8 to 15 mph winds. Starting to practice for my first century.
Old 06-08-10, 06:01 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I rode on another trail paralleling the Platte River. I only had an hour. Interesting in that there was a lot more variation in riding ability than I am used to. Newbies who hadn't a clue, me at a moderate speed, and then some young guy comes bombing and weaving through in a full bright blue body suit, muscles all over the place and showing through the suit, going at least 30 mph in a 15 mph speed limit trail.

I wanted to shout at him, "If you want to do speed, go up on the streets," but he was long gone before my brain got fully in gear.

Most unsafe.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-08-10 at 06:15 AM.
Old 06-08-10, 05:56 PM
BikingYupik

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
. Yes today I did ride. Had to go check out a little business across town. I took the Downtube 8H. It's a little more labor intensive than the old Fuji but I sometimes forget how nice an IGH is. Also the weather was quite nice, a welcome break. If I wasn't in a hurry I would have stopped in at one of the local brew pubs and had a pint. Good weather is good, good beer is better.
Old 06-08-10, 05:57 PM

Bikes: 1995 Raleigh, 1986 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a day! I am so thrilled over these stats I cannot wait to see my Cardiologist in Aug.
Today I did 14.364 miles, Max Speed 18.7, Ride time 01:21:46, Temp 82 degrees, Humidity 79%, Wind SSE 3 mph, Pace 10.6, VO 2 Max at the 10 mile mark was 71. The amazing part is the Watts at 208.25 [and that's with 1/2 a heart muscle] Watts per Kg was 3.2. My Ave HR was 108 and I did mostly Zone 2 with no intervals. Something is going on with my heart, something good. I haven't peaked yet. I keep breaking all my records. I can't figure it. With a EF of 30 how is my heart able to put out 208.25 Watts is beyond me. I'm hoping my Cardiologist can shed some light on this. It's scaring me. I would love to see the faces of the technicians when I upload my data from my ICD on Fri and they read my chart. My ICD tracks every heart beat and that I'll go over with my Cardiologist. I almost got nailed twice today. Once by a car comming out of a driveway. Ontario license tags. The other just a local dip stick making a right turn when I was going straight (I was rolling). Glad he knew what a break pedal was. Some don't you know.
Well Ron looks like that Stone Mountain Run with you just may become a reality. If I can do that maybe just maybe I can do an Ironman.
Old 06-08-10, 06:00 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Retired
What a day! I am so thrilled over these stats I cannot wait to see my Cardiologist in Aug.
Today I did 14.364 miles, Max Speed 18.7, Ride time 01:21:46, Temp 82 degrees, Humidity 79%, Wind SSE 3 mph, Pace 10.6, VO 2 Max at the 10 mile mark was 71. The amazing part is the Watts at 208.25 [and that's with 1/2 a heart muscle] Watts per Kg was 3.2. My Ave HR was 108 and I did mostly Zone 2 with no intervals. Something is going on with my heart, something good. I haven't peaked yet. I keep breaking all my records. I can't figure it. With a EF of 30 how is my heart able to put out 208.25 Watts is beyond me. I'm hoping my Cardiologist can shed some light on this. It's scaring me. I would love to see the faces of the technicians when I upload my data from my ICD on Fri and they read my chart. My ICD tracks every heart beat and that I'll go over with my Cardiologist. I almost got nailed twice today. Once by a car comming out of a driveway. Ontario license tags. The other just a local dip stick making a right turn when I was going straight (I was rolling). Glad he knew what a break pedal was. Some don't you know.
Well Ron looks like that Stone Mountain Run with you just may become a reality. If I can do that maybe just maybe I can do an Ironman.
Amazing.

My brother-in-law, at age 70, had a viral myocardial infection, that left him with a very damaged heart.

He is now 81. I talked with him yesterday, and he was telling me his EF was 30 - like yours - and he feels he is near death. He has tremendous accumulation of fluids which he is using "water pills" to help remove, but he is now getting ready for a wheelchair.

Good on you!!
Old 06-08-10, 06:34 PM

Bikes: 1995 Raleigh, 1986 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Amazing.

My brother-in-law, at age 70, had a viral myocardial infection, that left him with a very damaged heart.

He is now 81. I talked with him yesterday, and he was telling me his EF was 30 - like yours - and he feels he is near death. He has tremendous accumulation of fluids which he is using "water pills" to help remove, but he is now getting ready for a wheelchair.

Good on you!!

DnvrFox,
I can tell your Brother in Law has heart failure just like me. Here is where cycling has helped me. When I first started to ride my bike I started to bring up clear sticky mucus; a lot of it. As time went on it got less and less, but I still get it. Cycling helps to open the lungs. I feel bad for him and he needs to exercise, knock off the salt, burry the french fries in the yard. I'm 62 and feel like 30. I'll say a prayer for him.
Thanks for thumbs up.
Old 06-08-10, 09:12 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Training "A" race this evening. 48 miles with a 25.7 ave. Smoking fast and I hid in the peleton the whole time. Yesterday's recovery ride did me well.
Old 06-09-10, 06:45 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Retired
DnvrFox,
I can tell your Brother in Law has heart failure just like me. Here is where cycling has helped me. When I first started to ride my bike I started to bring up clear sticky mucus; a lot of it. As time went on it got less and less, but I still get it. Cycling helps to open the lungs. I feel bad for him and he needs to exercise, knock off the salt, burry the french fries in the yard. I'm 62 and feel like 30. I'll say a prayer for him.
Thanks for thumbs up.
My brother-in-law's concept of exercise was pushing the accelerator pedal down with his foot and shifting the automatic gearbox into reverse. When he had the MC Infection, he went on a rehab exercise program and loved it. But, they had a new house built - "which was too far away from the rehab program" (like 20 freeway miles) - and out went the exercise. Of course, there is a gym about a mile away in his 55+ clubhouse. Nope!!

He DOES eat excellently - his wife makes a great and heart-healthy diet for him. He has no choice but to eat it!!

My sister-in-law says that one of the main topics of conversation at this - now aging - retirement community is whether or not te be cremated or buried. AArrgghh!!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-09-10 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-09-10, 12:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
52 miles in excellent weather, mostly sunny, the temp in the 70's with gentle breeze. Only exciting occurence this morning, saw the geese police at a condo complex most likely headed to Lake Arlington. Geese dont bother me except I have to slow down and dodge their droppings. You can tell it is spring, birds of all kind seems to flock in my backyard and I don't even have a bird feeder.
Old 06-09-10, 02:14 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Only 14 miles, rode to the "Ride to Work Breakfast" in downtown, Colorado Springs. It was good but didn't win any of the door prizes so we rode back home to take the wife to work. Sorry she takes the City Bus as they don't have any really SAFE place to put her bike at the "Auto Dealership" she works at, bummer!

Old 06-09-10, 06:24 PM

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Specilized Roubaix Pro, Schwinn Paramount 1971, trek Remedy, AMP Mtn bike, Cannondale R700, Ibis hardtail,other old bikes

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Went out to practice for the Pie ride this fall. Stopped at Pollie's pies in Norco and then rode to the beach ( another 63 miles). Chased down a young lady who passed me while I used the restroom. It took an hour at 20 + mph to reel her in. Turns out she was just cruzing along on a recovery ride, I hate cat 1 riders. Now I will hurt for 3 days.
The pie was good though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.