Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Landis drops EPO bomb on modern Pro Cycling. Lance is in the bullseye

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...
View Poll Results: Are Landis' allegations true?
Landis' allegations are likely true
61.94%
Landis' allegations are likely false
23.51%
Don't know, too early to tell
14.55%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Landis drops EPO bomb on modern Pro Cycling. Lance is in the bullseye

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-10, 06:08 PM
Since Ever Since

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm reminded of that AIM conversation made public four or five years ago: Vaughters and Andreu talking about how Postal would smuggle in the blood/EPO/whatever it was in refrigerated cases on motorcycles. One of them said that Landis had told them about it, and that he'd even taken pictures of the thing.

Ah, here it is: https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/andr...ping-practices
Old 05-20-10, 06:08 PM
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Hey, with a little EPO, I bet I could even win the Nyack Ride.
Its doping.... not miracles.
Old 05-20-10, 06:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fly:yes/land:no
the reason that canseco and hunter were okay was because there was later information that emerged proving what they had said. without the mitchell report, i think canseco gets sued. without the victor conte evidence and the skipped drug test, hunter doesn't look too great. while the accusations may have led to the more intense scrutiny which ultimately sprung the trap, there has to be something more than accusations. i'm not saying that one will not show up, but there is no more tangible information about lance now than there was yesterday. if landis can produce something, okay, but i think it will take a third party bringing in some BIG information.
True. My point spoke to about how Canseco was perceived when he first came forward. A few years later, people still think he's a jackass with credibility issues. But he wasn't completely full of crap either. Same with Hunter. We'll see where this goes with Landis.

What's funny is how some people are acting like this is the first doping allegation against LA. And even funnier are the people throwing "the well Floyd lied about being innocent for years, now why should we believe him." Anybody who believed Floyd didn't dope after he got popped was a fool. Just like those who believe Tyler Hamilton.
Old 05-20-10, 06:15 PM
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by umd
I think you are missing the point of what I said. The guy that got caught admitted it immediately, and said the tests sucked because they missed all the other times he doped.
crap. got confused with the one you were quoting. carry on.
Old 05-20-10, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ndbiker
I'm not sure exactly why FLandis waited until now too drop this bomb. I doubt it was a sudden latent guilt.
It's not so much guilt as pressure. Landis cannot rebuild his life the way he would like. He cannot get on a team where he makes a good living. Only a couple of American races are suited to him and he can't get into the most important one. He is being black-balled. He is changing tack because lying has not worked for him.

Last edited by Hezz; 05-20-10 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-20-10, 06:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pearcem
I agree with what you are saying. Some of those are reasons why I said that unfortunately many of his allegations probably true, I was just trying to point of the problem with the mentality of, "well he cheated, so he knows the who's who of cheating, and now he came clean, so we should listen to him". He has basically made a career out of denying his involvement with this whole mess over the past few years, and with some of the statements he has made, I see this as a little bit more than a typical situation where the accuser's credibility is questionable. There is plenty of other evidence to look at that supports these claims. I personally don't see the point in believing a man who has fallen from the top and dedicated the past few years of his life to ruining his reputation very rational.
It becomes rational when you realize that many top pro cycling friends would be harmed by his total openess. Everyone seems to judge Floyd as if he were in a vacuum. Most who get caught don't talk about what they know. But Floyd will probably not go down without a fight since the system seems content on taking him down.
Old 05-20-10, 06:27 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hezz
It's not so much quilt as pressure. Landis cannot rebuild his life the way he would like. He cannot get on a team where he makes a good living. Only a couple of American races are suited to him and he can't get into the most important one. He is being black-balled. He is changing tack because lying has not worked for him.
He's not doing spectacularly well at P/1/2 races in socal, let's not get ahead of ourselves right now.
Old 05-20-10, 06:41 PM
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
umd:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/frei...ind-his-doping

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/frei...eleased-by-bmc
Old 05-20-10, 06:41 PM
Since Ever Since

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just read through the entire thread, and you know what? I've seen the light. It's now obvious that Lance has been and remains forever clean. It's never been revealed that he's failed a drug test, and those supposed anonymous urine samples from the '99 Tour so publicly discussed by L'Equipe a few years ago, well, what can one say but the French will be French. (That is to say dirty rotten bastards, to the extent they'll humiliate one of their own in Virenque. A terribly amoral people.)

Honestly, though, whoever it was -- sorry -- that said Lance is too big to fail, I think he's on to something.
Old 05-20-10, 06:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
He's not doing spectacularly well at P/1/2 races in socal, let's not get ahead of ourselves right now.
Of course you are right. He is not showing the kind of form he used to have. Which makes it easy to justify him being were he is at. But I can't help but think that it wouldn't matter much anyway. I don't think that any pro tour team would sign him no matter how good he was doing.
Old 05-20-10, 06:50 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's not who I was thinking of, it was a guy from the TdF last year or the year before.
Old 05-20-10, 06:52 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hezz
Of course you are right. He is not showing the kind of form he used to have. Which makes it easy to justify him being were he is at. But I can't help but think that it wouldn't matter much anyway. I don't think that any pro tour team would sign him no matter how good he was doing.
Guys that I know that race with [against] him have said that it looks like his hip is still causing him problems.
Old 05-20-10, 06:55 PM
Since Ever Since

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
That's not who I was thinking of, it was a guy from the TdF last year or the year before.
Kohl, wasn't it?
Old 05-20-10, 06:57 PM
Since Ever Since

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Floyd says he's got his training/doping etc. diaries still, and is willing to share them with investigators. I hope he's got pictures from the team bus too.
Old 05-20-10, 07:01 PM
Upgrading my engine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Devil
Kohl, wasn't it?
You got it. https://velonews.competitor.com/2009/...es-clean_93052
Old 05-20-10, 07:01 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Devil
Kohl, wasn't it?
It may have been. I can't find the quote unfortunately.
Old 05-20-10, 07:02 PM
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey look.. The world is talking about Landis again.

He wins. We all lose.
Old 05-20-10, 07:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The replies to Landis' letters are telling. Everyone is just attacking his character, rather than trying to counter the accusations. I mean it makes sense since his character is his weakest point, but when people basically result to name calling in an argument it is safe to say they are wrong. Oh well--c'est la vie--cycling will live on.
Old 05-20-10, 07:06 PM
Since Ever Since

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lukasz
The replies to Landis' letters are telling. Everyone is just attacking his character, rather than trying to counter the accusations. I mean it makes sense since his character is his weakest point, but when people basically result to name calling in an argument it is safe to say they are wrong. Oh well--c'est la vie--cycling will live on.
Everyone?
Old 05-20-10, 07:08 PM
Since Ever Since

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn double post.
Old 05-20-10, 07:08 PM
Upgrading my engine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You mean the accusations he has no evidence for? What is there to attack? It's one man's word vs. another.
Old 05-20-10, 07:10 PM
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lukasz
The name calling basically explains why they feel Landis shouldn't be believed, he has credibility problems. If they just deny it, nobody would believe them anyway. Might as well give a reason why you can't believe the source.
Old 05-20-10, 07:10 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by soulbike
I knew there was a reason why there are so few asians in the tour!
Because asians suck big time in the road, the same thing happens with blacks. (I'm asian and a minority so i can use some words )
Old 05-20-10, 07:12 PM
Upgrading my engine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
My mistake. Frei tells sort of a similar story. Basically if he had drank more water like he was supposed to he wouldn't have failed his test.
Old 05-20-10, 07:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
doping is endemic, problem is intractable. There are two options:

1. Open policy, treat drugs as any other technology and regulate that (good luck)
2. Embrace the drama of the cat and mouse testing game as an integral component of the sport (and STFU)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.