Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are Modern Bikes So Expensive?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why are Modern Bikes So Expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-24, 02:20 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10659 Post(s)
Liked 12,331 Times in 6,310 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Then you would agree that the same assumption about the non-constant pace of innovation was also true 30 years ago?
I confess I'm curious where you think you're going to go with this, so let's assume for the sake of argument that I agreed.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-05-24, 02:24 PM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3663 Post(s)
Liked 3,100 Times in 1,868 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I confess I'm curious where you think you're going to go with this, so let's assume for the sake of argument that I agreed.
Which--again--brings me to my point. The entire subject of this thread is "Why are Modern Bikes So Expensive?" All people can come up with is "Modern bikes are more advanced." And again, my point is that in relative terms...they're not.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-05-24, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4644 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 3,200 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...as I got older, I used to fall less when downhill skiing. This had little or nothing to do with tech improvements in ski's (of which there were many). It had everything to do with me becoming more cautious in what I attempted to do on the mountain. I'm sure increased travel and better suspension components makes a difference, but I'm unconvinced that your crash history is a direct result of technological improvements. Forgive me.
I used to crash on terrain I find relatively easy today. Dropper seatposts and more effective suspension and geometry all played a big part for me. Yeah I’m more cautious now too, but I ride the same trails and I’m still setting PRs on them. The bikes are just that much better than they were 20 years ago.

I ski too and skis also improved massively from the 80s and 90s too.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-05-24, 02:32 PM

That assumes the pace of innovation is constant, which I would argue it not the case.
Yeah I made this point earlier. In my career as an engineer it has certainly not been a constant pace.
Old 04-05-24, 02:34 PM

Which--again--brings me to my point. The entire subject of this thread is "Why are Modern Bikes So Expensive?" All people can come up with is "Modern bikes are more advanced." And again, my point is that in relative terms...they're not.
So what’s your alternative reason?
Old 04-05-24, 02:35 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

But you've failed to prove that point. If innovation proceeded at a constant pace, you could argue that. But you appear to agree that the pace is not constant, thus you can't reasonably argue that the degree of advancement is only what you'd expect.

Old 04-05-24, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by seypat
The only thing that really makes me laugh is that as trends come and go, people in the forums end up talking out of both sides of their mouths. The same people are flipping and flopping as the winds blows. First it lightweight is the be all end all. Then some stuff gets added like disc brakes get added. Then weight wasn't really important after all. Then there stiffness in the frame and wheels. But then we have to start running our tires at low pressures for cushy rides. It goes on and on as each new or new again thing comes out. Now we have a thread about the revolutionary tech called hookless rims. It's already been around once and wasn't good then. We got people talking about how it's the bees knees. Just wait though, if the UCI bans them those same people will be talking about how unsafe they are and how they should be wiped from existence. Comedy like that is why I tune into BF.
I can’t say that I’ve actually seen much enthusiasm for hookless rims on bike forums. Most people seem to be cautious of them or can’t see any real benefit. There are people who like certain hookless wheel brands, but not specifically because they are hookless.
Old 04-05-24, 06:08 PM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Quoted: 26482 Post(s)
Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I can’t say that I’ve actually seen much enthusiasm for hookless rims on bike forums.
Most people seem to be cautious of them or can’t see any real benefit.
...as you already know, this forum is full of Luddites. If it's new tech, and the pro's are using them, sign me up.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 04-05-24, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
The only thing that really makes me laugh is that as trends come and go, people in the forums end up talking out of both sides of their mouths. The same people are flipping and flopping as the winds blows. First it lightweight is the be all end all. Then some stuff gets added like disc brakes get added. Then weight wasn't really important after all. Then there stiffness in the frame and wheels. But then we have to start running our tires at low pressures for cushy rides. It goes on and on as each new or new again thing comes out. Now we have a thread about the revolutionary tech called hookless rims. It's already been around once and wasn't good then. We got people talking about how it's the bees knees. Just wait though, if the UCI bans them those same people will be talking about how unsafe they are and how they should be wiped from existence. Comedy like that is why I tune into BF.

It's likely that what's confusing you is that most people in the cycling community are open-minded and adjust their preferences as technology and information comes to light. They're not locked into myths and old wives' tales picked up from hanging around a dusty bike shop or riding with a grizzled old veteran back in the 70s. Nowadays, facts and real information are accessible to anyone.

I recall back in the day we used to debate what was better: DeRosa, Colnago, or heaven forbid a Raleigh. Or the classic argument: Italian or California Masi. Little did we realize at the time they were all effectively the same.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 04-05-24, 06:57 PM

But you've failed to prove that point. If innovation proceeded at a constant pace, you could argue that.
I did.
But you appear to agree that the pace is not constant
I didn't agree to that.
thus you can't reasonably argue that the degree of advancement is only what you'd expect.
Wait, wasn't it you that intimated my point would only be valid of the pace of change wasn't linear? And now you're saying that my point would be valid if the pace WAS linear?? YES, yes, it was you!

The entire subject of this thread is "Why are Modern Bikes So Expensive?" All people can come up with is "Modern bikes are more advanced." And again, my point is that in relative terms...they're not.
That assumes the pace of innovation is constant, which I would argue it not the case.
So which goal post do you want to use? The pace of change is linear, or it isn't?
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-05-24, 07:19 PM

...as you already know, this forum is full of Luddites. If it's new tech, and the pro's are using them, sign me up.
There are certainly a few very persistent Luddites who are convinced that most, if not all, modern tech is inferior. They come out of the woodwork at every opportunity to deride anything that they perceive to be a threat to their precious icons. I find it all a bit sad to be honest.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-05-24, 07:26 PM

Bicycle drivetrain systems

In 1991, a two-wheel drive bicycle was marketed under the Legacy name. It used a flexible shaft and two bevel gears to transmit torque from the rear wheel, driven by a conventional bicycle chain with derailleurs, to the front wheel.[11] In 1994, Steve Christini and Mike Dunn introduced a two-wheel drive option.[12] Their AWD system, aimed at mountain bikers, comprises an adapted differential that sends power to the front wheel once the rear begins to slip. In the late 1990s, 2WD 'Dual Power' mountain bikes were sold in Germany under the Subaru name. They used one belt to transfer power from the rear wheel to the head tube, a small gearbox to allow rotation of the front fork, and then a second belt to transfer power to the front wheel
Old 04-05-24, 07:43 PM

There are certainly a few very persistent Luddites who are convinced that most, if not all, modern tech is inferior. They come out of the woodwork at every opportunity to deride anything that they perceive to be a threat to their precious icons. I find it all a bit sad to be honest.
...why is it considered a vermin like attribute ("coming out of the woodwork"), to question your personal preferences, which are clearly the basis for your arguments here, as definitive for what's "good" ? I think maybe you don't understand what I'm deriding, and it's not something I perceive as "a threat to my precious icons". What I'm deriding here is your pseudo religious fervor for things new in the world of bicycles, because you like them, and they get used by the pro peleton. I don't personally think all modern tech is inferior, with regard to bicycles. I just think it's sometimes considerable overkill for most of us.

Feel free to ignore my points about how much anyone really needs to get a good ride and some exercise on a bicycle. I'm used to it by now. Admittedly, I find Strava PR's to be oddly disconcerting.

Here's the obligatory picture of the Bowden Spacelander.

The commercial failure of the Bowden Spacelander proved that bicycle lovers are practical people who want their bikes to work well and last long not to catch the eye. Designed in 1946, the Spacelander was clearly too far ahead of its time. (Its failure also seemed to prove that beauty is in the eye of the customer, not the designer.) Designed by Benjamin George Bowden, the Spacelander’s original concept also included a shaft drive and a dynamo for steep hills so it was definitely not a crackpot concept. But, oh, those swooping front forks. If it had come out in the Swinging Sixties, when sweeping curves and bright colours were the rage, it might have caught on. But probably not.
I think that's in error. Clearly not all "bicycle lovers are practical people". Some of them just like the latest and greatest tech to ride around on. And some are trying to hang onto some level of performance as they age, which is every bit as sad as what you envision in the icon business above.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 04-05-24, 08:05 PM

...why is it considered a vermin like attribute ("coming out of the woodwork"), to question your personal preferences, which are clearly the basis for your arguments here, as definitive for what's "good" ? I think maybe you don't understand what I'm deriding, and it's not something I perceive as "a threat to my precious icons". What I'm deriding here is your pseudo religious fervor for things new in the world of bicycles, because you like them, and they get used by the pro peleton. I don't personally think all modern tech is inferior, with regard to bicycles. I just think it's sometimes considerable overkill for most of us.
My personal preferences (which you have wrongly assumed only include modern things) really have nothing to do with the Luddite views around here. I also have no idea or interest in what you may be deriding either. I wasn’t even thinking of you as belonging in the Luddite group. To me you come across more as a space cadet trolling character.
Old 04-05-24, 08:05 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I did. I didn't agree to that. Wait, wasn't it you that intimated my point would only be valid of the pace of change wasn't linear? And now you're saying that my point would be valid if the pace WAS linear?? YES, yes, it was you!

So which goal post do you want to use? The pace of change is linear, or it isn't?
Exactly the opposite. You can only know how far something should have moved during an interval if the rate is constant, or at least predictable.

Old 04-05-24, 08:29 PM

Exactly the opposite. You can only know how far something should have moved during an interval if the rate is constant, or at least predictable.
HA!

OK then. Read my review of the repro Shimano hoods. I think you’re going to be very happy.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-05-24, 08:35 PM

To me you come across more as a space cadet trolling character.

...out of curiosity, is there anyone who disagrees with you on this topic who is not a troll ? It's a credit to your own (self)importance here, that there are so many people interested only in pushing your buttons. A vast "hoard of Luddites, coming out of the woodwork", is how you put it.

How do you manage to talk to people in real life, who do not share your views on a topic ? Do they eventually run and hide, when they see you approaching ?
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 04-05-24, 08:42 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

HA!

OK then. Read my review of the repro Shimano hoods. I think you’re going to be very happy.
I did! I was going to comment on how nicely the 6207s fit the levers, and how good they look, but I decided to take the Circuit for its 3rd shakedown ride. The Avocet saddle is a big improvement, but I think I need to move it back about 5mm.

Old 04-05-24, 09:02 PM

...out of curiosity, is there anyone who disagrees with you on this topic who is not a troll ? It's a credit to your own (self)importance here, that there are so many people interested only in pushing your buttons. A vast "hoard of Luddites, coming out of the woodwork", is how you put it.

How do you manage to talk to people in real life, who do not share your views on a topic ? Do they eventually run and hide, when they see you approaching ?
I never mentioned any “vast hoard of Luddites”. To my knowledge there are about half a dozen of them at most who regularly pop up around these kind of threads. I wouldn’t say you are one of them either.
Old 04-05-24, 09:14 PM

It’s rarely a problem in real life because most of my views are not very controversial. For example I tend not to argue that the earth is flat.
Old 04-05-24, 10:31 PM

...the professionals of the past were, presumably, taking the most advantage of the product available. Pete is, presumably, taking the most advantage he can of the current product. I'm asking if he can take so much advantage, that he exceeds the guys back then, who were better than both of us. That's a legit question, and you are either trolling today, or desperately in need of another cup of coffee. I'm out.
This is such a silly question on every level. Firstly I ride an endurance road bike and a trail mountain bike. Neither are optimised for elite competition or races by pros. They are both high performance second-tier recreational bikes aimed at guys who prioritise comfort over all-out speed. They must be pretty effective because I regularly ride all day without any issues. I take full advantage of their comfort and wide gear range. They are quiet, reliable bikes and perform considerably better than bikes I owned previously.

But even if I was riding pro level race bikes I don’t see what relevance my performance would have to pros riding bikes from the past. I have no doubt Eddy Merckx would have left me for dead on his 70s racer, but that doesn’t mean I would want to swap a modern race bike for his old steed.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-05-24, 11:58 PM

This is such a silly question on every level. Firstly I ride an endurance road bike and a trail mountain bike. Neither are optimised for elite competition or races by pros. They are both high performance second-tier recreational bikes aimed at guys who prioritise comfort over all-out speed. They must be pretty effective because I regularly ride all day without any issues. I take full advantage of their comfort and wide gear range. They are quiet, reliable bikes and perform considerably better than bikes I owned previously.
...and it is this modern high performance that allows you to ride all day ? I'm genuinely interested in this statement, because I have done the same thing on 80's bikes. Obviously I'm missing something in your argument. What am I missing ? I thought your whole point has been that modern high tech goes faster, and does it better ? Am I mistaken in that ?

But even if I was riding pro level race bikes I don’t see what relevance my performance would have to pros riding bikes from the past. I have no doubt Eddy Merckx would have left me for dead on his 70s racer, but that doesn’t mean I would want to swap a modern race bike for his old steed.
...once more, and for the last time, I think. I was asking about this in the context of almost all your prior statements, (in this thread and others), about the huge leaps in technology that make these modern wonder machines things of great functional performance, that go faster than the old stuff, and do it better. My own conviction is that you need to be at an upper level of athletic ability and training to take advantage of these performance gains.

Now, I discover to my surprise, that speed is not one of your goals at all. The only reason this came up is because you've spent so much time here (and in other places) touting the nature of the tech improvements that make these bikes superior because of stuff like aero profiles. And every time I've seen a discussion of wheels, you're there with "heavier deep profile rims are faster, thus better."

I feel a great sense of betrayal. Like I've been trolled by a master troll, who strings you along for a while, then doubles back to discard all that was said before.

Mostly, if all you're interested in is riding your bike all day, (endurance) what difference does it make what you do it on ? Gearing that will do the job has been available for many years now, and people have been doing endurance rides since Hector was a pup. Masterful trolling on your part. I salute you. Apparently you're just here to defend technology for its own sake, regardless of whether you use it yourself.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 04-06-24, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 708 Posts
...and it is this modern high performance that allows you to ride all day ? I'm genuinely interested in this statement, because I have done the same thing on 80's bikes. Obviously I'm missing something in your argument. What am I missing ? I thought your whole point has been that modern high tech goes faster, and does it better ? Am I mistaken in that ?

...once more, and for the last time, I think. I was asking about this in the context of almost all your prior statements, (in this thread and others), about the huge leaps in technology that make these modern wonder machines things of great functional performance, that go faster than the old stuff, and do it better. My own conviction is that you need to be at an upper level of athletic ability and training to take advantage of these performance gains.

Now, I discover to my surprise, that speed is not one of your goals at all. The only reason this came up is because you've spent so much time here (and in other places) touting the nature of the tech improvements that make these bikes superior because of stuff like aero profiles. And every time I've seen a discussion of wheels, you're there with "heavier deep profile rims are faster, thus better."

I feel a great sense of betrayal. Like I've been trolled by a master troll, who strings you along for a while, then doubles back to discard all that was said before.

Mostly, if all you're interested in is riding your bike all day, (endurance) what difference does it make what you do it on ? Gearing that will do the job has been available for many years now, and people have been doing endurance rides since Hector was a pup. Masterful trolling on your part. I salute you. Apparently you're just here to defend technology for its own sake, regardless of whether you use it yourself.
You are bordering on delusional if you are saying that a current endurance bike such as a S Works Roubaix is not better in every way for the average sporting cyclist than an equivalent 80’s era bike. You continuously pop up outside of C&V and gaslight everyone with these nonsensical circular arguments.

To tie that back to the original premise of this thread those developments were expensive to develop and produce. If you like old stuff or bikes from the 80’s they are readily available on the used market for very reasonable prices which are dropping precipitously, enjoy.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 04-06-24 at 12:20 AM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 04-06-24, 12:26 AM

It’s rarely a problem in real life because most of my views are not very controversial. For example I tend not to argue that the earth is flat.
...that you tend not to argue that the earth is flat is a great start. Generalizing it to include all your views is the very problem you exhibit in this thread. A single example would be your statement earlier about how all the C+V curmudgeons are always complaining about proprietary parts on modern bikes. Here it is again:

Oh, you think technology development is linear right?

I don’t actually know the history of bicycle development between 1940 and 1980 but I doubt it involved very much in terms of new technology and production processes. As an engineer, most of the major development appears to have occurred over the last 2 decades. Isn’t that why retro-grouches complain about all the non-standard proprietary parts we see today?
... qft. It's interesting you see proprietary parts as a positive development in this technology of bicycles. Meanwhile, the chain drive, derailleur shifted bike you ride around on is based on a drive train concept that was developed and perfected over those years you say you know nothing about. But now you can shift it with a servo motor. That's some high tech right there, boy.
Somehow, in your mind, this gets twisted into proof of technological progress. I asked later on if someone could make a legitimate case for something like a proprietary integrated headset, or a proprietary seat mast, working better than its non proprietary predecessor. I got crickets. I have no idea why you seem to have better luck in real life. My suspicion is that people who have some experience with disagreeing with you have learned better than to bring it up.

I had a guy next door for years like that. You quickly learn to nod, smile, say, "Good morning," and then make for your front door.

Technological progress...real progress...is not defined by the number of engineers employed designing proprietary parts that work on the same principles, and about as well, as the old ones. And it would be swell if you could back up your statements about this new army of bicycle engineers working for the various manufacturers. I have no idea whether it's true or not, it might very well be. But if all they're doing is continuing to redesign the carbon fiber plastic framed bicycle with a chain drive shifted by derailleurs, I don't see the leap. Maybe a short hop.
Old 04-06-24, 12:32 AM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 4081 Post(s)
Liked 7,667 Times in 3,078 Posts
A vast "hoard of Luddites, coming out of the woodwork", is how you put it.
Intentionally misquoting someone reveals your true character.
Likes For tomato coupe:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.