Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Metrowest Boston, who's riding Tuesday?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Metrowest Boston, who's riding Tuesday?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-15, 03:33 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Coluber42
As much as the snow is a drag sometimes and is messy, nothing makes me count my lucky stars that I can get around by bike and don't own a car like snow does.
Things like watching the neighbor across the street having difficulty maneuvering a tiny Fiat out of the driveway because there's so little space with all the snow banks. Or all those times when I might be managing only 6mph through the traffic, but I'm still going 6mph faster than the cars.
And then there's the disaster that the MBTA has been. I have one friend who usually gets to work on the commuter rail followed by the subway, and it usually takes her two hours. There was one day it took her *seven* hours; the commuter rail was delayed, then the subway was delayed, so she took a bus instead to a different spot where her company had provided a shuttle bus, and then the shuttle bus got stuck in traffic for an hour and a half, trying to go a distance that most of the passengers could have walked in less time.

I'm also fortunate to live close to things and to have a lot of control over my schedule. But it seems like the only people I know who have reliable transportation and who are able to mostly go about their business as usual, are the ones who bike.
Malden to Back Bay bike commuter here....my regular route has been altered a bit by some of the paths not being as well-maintained as I'd like to see (with one currently completely blocked), but I've been riding every day. I took this picture in Somerville a couple weeks ago: