Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

A friend's dad was hit and killed yesterday.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

A friend's dad was hit and killed yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-11, 08:15 PM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
I am glad you didn't give in.
Thank you, this went on from the intersection west to the roundabout. After entering the roundabout they were headed towards Tyrone Square Mall. There are several residential blocks between 30th Ave. N. and Tyrone Mall. And I was in the area around 1630 or so. So given that they were either headed home or to the mall I can't help but wonder why they were in such a hurry that they couldn't slow down and wait just a couple of minutes for the road to open up where it is safe to pass a slower moving vehicle?
Old 04-02-11, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very sad. My condolences to the victims family.

Unfortunately, Florida is apparently the most dangerous place on earth to ride. In our local Tampa Bay region, there have been 15 bicycle fatalities since July 2010. I've had some close calls just on residential streets this past year, and now only ride on dedicated bike trails or back roads with little to no traffic. There are just too many drivers not paying attention these days.
Old 04-02-11, 08:25 PM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Santaria
I'm not sure I'd buy into the logic that the road's condition had any effect on the driver's inability to problem solve and realize that his cell phone falling to the floor was not a priority over driving his F-250 until the condition was safe enough for him to pull over and retrieve it.

Really, the crime here is that we are even discussing validation for the driver's behavior in the first place. He failed to operate his vehicle in a safe manner, as mandated by the state law. He killed someone due to this negligence. At the very least, negligent homicide with the understanding that he will see a wrongful death lawsuit filed. While it would be nice to believe that he learned his lesson, the responsibility he took when accepting that he was licensed to operate a vehicle, regardless of the road conditions, dictates that he understood the consequences of failure to do so.

We live in such a simple society - all you do is try to shift the amount of responsibility away from 100% and you win.
Exactly, if one is involved in a cash that results in fatalities and one is negligent they should not only expect to be served with a wrongful death lawsuit, but they should have their license permanently revoked, the car they were driving should be seized and sold at auction. If their car is totaled then it should be sold for scrap. And if one is involved in a crash that results in the loss of life, one should not be surprised when they find themselves looking at doing some serious jail time, and when they get out they shouldn't be surprised to learn that they have to preform x-number of community service hours.
Old 04-02-11, 08:27 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepysurf
Very sad. My condolences to the victims family.

Unfortunately, Florida is apparently the most dangerous place on earth to ride. In our local Tampa Bay region, there have been 15 bicycle fatalities since July 2010. I've had some close calls just on residential streets this past year, and now only ride on dedicated bike trails or back roads with little to no traffic. There are just too many drivers not paying attention these days.
While I can understand your apprehension you shouldn't let the motorists to force you off of the main roads. You have just as much right to ride those roads as they do.
Old 04-03-11, 02:46 AM

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
and one is negligent
Therein lies the problem. It seems the only way a court will find a driver negligent these days is if they set the cruise control and took a nap.
Old 04-03-11, 05:20 PM
Jill of all trades

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Féminine 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. It's upsetting to know that it was all caused by a cell phone (as it is all too often), but even more so in that he had been there for a cycling event. Stay safe out there everyone.
Old 04-03-11, 07:40 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Therein lies the problem. It seems the only way a court will find a driver negligent these days is if they set the cruise control and took a nap.
And even then I can see some supporters of the car saying that the cyclist shouldn't have been on the road in the first place.