Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

homemade rim strip easy

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

homemade rim strip easy

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-23, 02:52 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4854 Post(s)
Liked 3,992 Times in 2,591 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Red tape is faster than black tape.
But ... you have to apply it outside the rim or your competition will never know.
Old 10-18-23, 03:26 PM
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 864 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
That inner tube strip might expand into the spoke holes in box section rims. I thought the rim strip's job was to prevent that. (Big fan of the Velox strips and their shelf life seems to be near forever so I have no excuse for not being stocked up. Except during COVID, choices were so slim I bought wide rolls knowing I was going to slice them to size with a sharp knife.)
Cloth rim tape does not like extended exposure to heat. I stored a box of cloth rim tape in the outside shed, and the adhesive was useless by the time I was ready to use it. I've also hung up taped rims in a back yard shed, and come out to see the tape hanging or completely fallen off the rim. All common brands (Velox, Zefal, Pedro's, etc.) seem to share this problem.
Old 10-18-23, 03:36 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4854 Post(s)
Liked 3,992 Times in 2,591 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Cloth rim tape does not like extended exposure to heat. I stored a box of cloth rim tape in the outside shed, and the adhesive was useless by the time I was ready to use it. I've also hung up taped rims in a back yard shed, and come out to see the tape hanging or completely fallen off the rim. All common brands (Velox, Zefal, Pedro's, etc.) seem to share this problem.
I guess I have to qualify my remarks. Portland, the Bay Area, Boston, Michigan ... And in a garage or cooler.
Old 10-18-23, 04:33 PM

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked 1,670 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
...Do you use the 3/5", 3/4", or 1" width? The 3/4" (18 mm) looks like it would be the most useful width. By my calculations, we could do about eight 26" rims per roll.
I use 15mm x15m on my 27 1-1/4 and 700c wheels. I also keep all my tape in the beer frig. My garage does not get under 100°F till October.

Amazon