Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

wheel truing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

wheel truing

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-21, 11:43 AM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4526 Post(s)
Liked 4,230 Times in 2,830 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Makes me imagine a thick crust pizza every time.
That isn't pizza but a delicious pie that is pizza flavored. Pizza generally will have a thin crust or is typically eaten with the hands exclusively. Pie on the other hand will be eaten with a fork (and maybe knife) like what is served in Chicago as "pizza"

As far as "Dish" I really don't care enough about that it is pretty common terminology at this point and it is as far as I know not tied into a company like making a Xerox or wipe my nose with a Kleenex or something. Sheldon Brown lists it in his glossary of terms as does Park Tool and Wheel Fanatyk. Yes it is technically centering but I think at this point dish is used enough by the industry and industry professionals that we can accept it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-01-21, 11:57 AM
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
I bet this term has been around since the wheel was invented. The first wheels were pottery wheels and it was a while before they were used on vehicles.
Old 04-01-21, 12:09 PM
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 885 Times in 530 Posts
The term dish has been used for centuries to define the measure of concavity. Offset is perhaps a better term but it is more generic and less human.
Old 04-01-21, 03:37 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10659 Post(s)
Liked 12,327 Times in 6,308 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Nope. Not a single one. They won’t even ask for “sucrose”. They will call it “sugar”. 40 year research chemists here. Mostly in deconstructed wood products. The wood products industry is rife with common names that are impossible to get rid of. Guaiacol is impossible to remember how to spell but hardly anyone in the industry uses 2-methoxyphenol or 1-hydroxy-2-methoxybenzene...even in papers. Like “centering”, if you uses the IUPAC name, you’ll get a whole bunch of confused looks while people figure out the systematic name. Say “guaiacol” and people will say “Oh, yeah!. That one!”...just like if you say “dish”.

If you used the IUPAC name for sugar, people would take a week to get back to you on it.
Similarly, we biologists call them 'dogs', not Canis familiaris. And we call ourselves 'people', not **** sapiens.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles