Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Regreasing Shimano Ultegra 6500 hubs

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Regreasing Shimano Ultegra 6500 hubs

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-22, 02:18 PM

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 323 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
I am ready to put in the bearings. I did not bother to remove the dust covers.
The way that the dust cover stays attached to the non-drive side cone reminds me of how some Deore LX mountain hubs I have are configured. My Dura Ace 7400 hub wheelsets have that plastic dust cap with a clever overlapping port that can be clicked open or closed. When opened, you can put the tip of a micro grease gun over the hole and shoot some more grease in there. I learned my lesson about overgreasing though. I had a lot of excess grease that forced itself back out around the joint between the axle and the dust cover.

Also, daniell did you end up using a 10mm Allen key and remove the large bolt holding the freehub body on?
Old 02-12-22, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
The way that the dust cover stays attached to the non-drive side cone reminds me of how some Deore LX mountain hubs I have are configured. My Dura Ace 7400 hub wheelsets have that plastic dust cap with a clever overlapping port that can be clicked open or closed. When opened, you can put the tip of a micro grease gun over the hole and shoot some more grease in there. I learned my lesson about overgreasing though. I had a lot of excess grease that forced itself back out around the joint between the axle and the dust cover.

Also, daniell did you end up using a 10mm Allen key and remove the large bolt holding the freehub body on?
I did not bother taking the freehub off. I just put new bearings in the hub body. I always over grease without any problems. I used white lithium auto grease. My next project will be the King headset. That has not been touched in 20 years. For that I will purchase all synthetic grease. I read that petroleum will attack the seals.
Likes For daniell: