Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Speedy, Retro-looking Rims for Vintage Merckx

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Speedy, Retro-looking Rims for Vintage Merckx

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 03:06 AM
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,304 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
$30 an a few more weeks ain't no thing, I just wonder if this green rim at the front:

Will match this green sparkle flake at the front:
I don't think it will, but I also think those rims are not designed for use with rim brakes.
Features a disc specific elliptical profile.
Old 11-04-20, 07:02 AM

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 326 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
I don't think it will, but I also think those rims are not designed for use with rim brakes.
The Quill rims that the OP is referring to are designed to work with rim brakes. They have the same dimensions as the Ailerons in the photo, but with machined sidewalls for rim brake use. The colorful photo is a stock photo from the Velocity website meant to illustrate the custom order anodized options they offer as a special order. The colored Aileron disc rims in the photo I believe all will have a matte finish, which to me looks good. But I believe you can also custom order polished then anodized for a further up charge. I would imagine that the polished/anodized ones would keep their shine nicely so this is another custom option for a special wheel build.

The incompatibility with the OP’s vintage Eddy Merckx that I would worry more about would be the external width of the Quill rims in his 126mm 6/7 speed rear triangle. The 6403 Ultegra dual pivot brakes should have clearance for 25 tires but that might be the max before running into rubbing issues. Probably it will be fine. The OP could always elect to swap out the vintage dual pivots and rock some Dura Ace 9100 or Ultegra 8000 dual pivot rim brakes which were subtly re-designed for better clearance with modern 28mm road tires, maybe even wider than that. The quick release lever on these brakes open the caliper up wider as well which permits dismounting the wheel without having to deflate the tire (I read this but have not verified it personally).

PS: the rims in the photo are anodized colors. For the white rim, that one would be powder coated.

Last edited by masi61; 11-04-20 at 07:07 AM.
Likes For masi61:
Old 11-04-20, 11:28 AM

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Red and green rims? Nooo!

White could be interesting, but if it was my bike I'd go with silver. I think the paint scheme is cool and interesting enough that you don't want to distract from it with outlandish colors elsewhere.
Old 11-04-20, 12:33 PM

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked 2,100 Times in 1,151 Posts
Get some Red CXP33. Yellow jersey has a pair NOS but 28 hole and I read somewhere that 28 holes are speedier than 32. But if that Merckx was mine, and I was getting non-vintage clincher rims, I'd get some Ambrosio Excellence and not mess around with the modern wide rim thing.
Old 11-04-20, 08:30 PM
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
Red and green rims? Nooo!
White could be interesting, but if it was my bike I'd go with silver. I think the paint scheme is cool and interesting enough that you don't want to distract from it with outlandish colors elsewhere.

White rim on the rear, possibly green rim on the front; either that or white rims all around:

Originally Posted by Classtime
Get some Red CXP33. Yellow jersey has a pair NOS but 28 hole and I read somewhere that 28 holes are speedier than 32. But if that Merckx was mine, and I was getting non-vintage clincher rims, I'd get some Ambrosio Excellence and not mess around with the modern wide rim thing.
Well that's cool. But red rims ain't happening. Also if modern rims help me average 20mph again, maybe I'll be able to keep upwind of the whining about it not being correct.

Last edited by calamarichris; 11-04-20 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-05-20, 06:23 AM

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Thanks for the guidance! Those Archetypes look interesting indeed. Any idea where they're made? (I've boycotted a certain country.)

Was also considering these IRD Cadence Aeros, but with 28mm wide tires, they'd look a little light-bulby. This Merckx frame is stiffer than a 19-year-old at a strip club, so I'd prefer a little cushion.

For spokes, I'm just using Sapim CX-Rays. I like using a holder on the bladed spokes to avoid wind-up, (and those blades just slice through the wind so much quicker.)
Sorry for the late reply, missed this. Not sure on place of manufacture, unfortunately.

Part of my reasoning on this was cost - I could buy all the spokes I needed for the difference in cost between these rims.

I do have to say though, I am really considering the Quills for the upcoming 700c build. I really like the how much softer the profile is without the peak of the Archetypes.

I’m a silver guy, but I think white could look really nice.