Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Hybrid Introduction thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Hybrid Introduction thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-09, 08:52 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Hi. I'm Doohickie.

If you don't know me by now, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 08-14-09, 08:53 PM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Excuse me, I haven't properly introduced myself. My name is Rod. I'm a car-free 50+ former cyldesdale, currently working as a freight biker in Washington, DC.
Old 08-14-09, 09:10 PM
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Hiya. Name's Dave usually. Raul when doing organizing, radio dj-ing, general political activism..... so forth. I am currently living in & around Burlington, Vermont. Or Varmint as I prefer. I am 39 - Forever.

My background includes heavy immersion in the sciences and political theory. Took many psychology courses while milling about at Harvard. Organic chemistry at MIT - ended up tutoring others in chemistry starting at age 14. How the heck did I do that? Because I did the best thing ever - I dropped out of public school at age 12.

After the screaming was over from my parents, and they realized this was for real and no turning back, my Father gave me the best gift of my life. As a professor emiratus at MIT, he got me an MIT Affiliate Card. This opened the doors to wander into any college/university. Audit courses as I pleased. And virtually living in the research libraries. At age 16 I became a teacher at the progressive liberal-arts college I attended for high-school. So you might say I'm a bit auto-didactic.

I still have my MIT Affiliate's card. And I still use it.

My passion for bicycles also started at 12 years. I believe them to be the greatest mechanical invention of the human-race.
Old 08-14-09, 09:18 PM
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I took a class at Harvard once.
Old 08-14-09, 09:26 PM
my nose itches

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2013 Redline Conquest Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My name's Becca. I'm from Texas, work as a graphic designer although my official fancy title is Creative Marketing Manager. Have been into cycling for a little over a year and currently commute by bike, which is where I put in the majority of my miles.

And I never took a class at Harvard.
Old 08-14-09, 10:16 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Timber_8
That is Quite a name you have Darwin, I have to ask you, did your name put any pressure on you growing up! or have any impact defining your character as to who you are?
I survived my younger years, and now, as with all old farts, I don't care what people think.

I actually toyed with using a different name in High School... But, my middle name is Dale, and the only images I had of the name at that time was Dale Rogers, and a TV commercial where it was the guy's girlfriend's name... So that was out. My step father already used a variation of our last name, and I still don't like going by my last name... and people often confuse it, since it is more of a first name than my first name.

And every once in a while people would shorten it to Dar... and that sounded too dorky for a dweeb like me, so I stuck with Darwin. Now Dar doesn't bother me... but that came with age, and a friends young daughter calling me Dar Dar...

I just wish I had a fistful of dollars for everytime I heard a variation of "So, how is the theory?" from people who thought they had come up with a unique question.

I am extremely introverted in person, so the name may have contributed to that some.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-14-09, 10:25 PM

Bikes: TREK WSD 7000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Absolutely nothing about messengers or commuters in that video.
There was a verse early in the song about hipsters and bike messengers. Can't watch again right now but for sure messengers.
Old 08-15-09, 01:23 AM
The Sleeper

Bikes: GT Transeo 2.0 Disc 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello I'm Robert I got a hybrid for commuting to work and general fitness riding, been riding pretty heavy since Feb. , heavy in my eyes :-), about 150ish miles a week love it and don't plan on riding any less any time soon.
Old 08-15-09, 04:26 AM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
I am extremely introverted in person, so the name may have contributed to that some.
I am reclusive myself, The older I get the more distant I become. My job keeps me interactive but my social life is internet based with the exception of my employees & a very small group of friends. Some years ago a neighbor poisoned my German Shepard as an attack against me. That is why I bought the compound I live on now. I tend to keep to myself these days

Old 08-15-09, 08:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone,

My real name is Victor. I'm a prof teaching business courses up here in Toronto, Canada. I'm 59 and I've returned to bicycling in a big way. My wife has enthusiastically joined me me for the ride.

I like singing when I bike. I initially found that somewhat weird but also revealing. I sing quietly though. I also bought a Park Tools bike repair stand and a bunch of bike tools. I do not sing when working on my bikes as I'm learning the intracacies of adjusting front derailleurs.

Bicycling is increasingly becoming a larger part of our lives and it feels right that it is so. I mean here I am posting.
Old 08-15-09, 08:55 AM

Bikes: Too many to count. Changes on a frequent basis.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

My name is Dale. I am a school bus driver in Camp Hil, PA. I am 46 years old and ride alot of different style of bikes. I ride recumbents, singlespeeds, crossbikes, folding bikes and tourers. I have been a BF member for several years. I have never really fit into any other forum descriptions. I guess you can say I ride hybrids since they are neither road bikes or mountian bikes. Either way I will enjoy joining you all in future discussions.
Old 08-15-09, 12:22 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Six5, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR & old Hard Rock

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow Dale, small world!

I'm Nate Jones. I am a 36 year old school teacher / summer car mechanic from New Cumberland, PA. As a kid /teen, I was heavily involved in Freestyle BMX riding. In the last two years I started riding again. I have an old Specialized Hard Rock for hitting trails and a Trek 7000 I ride 4 to 5 days a week around Central Pa. I enjoy the hybrid for various reasons. It has been my vehicle back into the cycling world.
Old 08-15-09, 01:01 PM
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TamaraEden
There was a verse early in the song about hipsters and bike messengers. Can't watch again right now but for sure messengers.
I can't watch it again either, but one of the smartest guys I know says it gets better with each viewing. !!?Was the fixie guy called a wannabe messenger? Dunno. The roadie guy looks more like a messenger to me than the fixie guy, although you don't really see lycra shorts on many delivery guys these days.
Old 08-15-09, 02:12 PM
Great State of Varmint

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
What would the world be like if, instead of certain cyclists, plumbers wore lycra-spandex clothing?
Old 08-15-09, 02:14 PM

Bikes: TREK WSD 7000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Panthers007
What would the world be like if, instead of certain cyclists, plumbers wore lycra-spandex clothing?
At least spandex can be stretched high enough to cover butt crack.
Old 08-15-09, 02:37 PM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I know it will be a shock but most of my pants are low riders, but I always bike in spandex
Old 08-15-09, 02:37 PM

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ingrid, 37, Long Beach, CA, Trek 7000
Old 08-15-09, 03:54 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5624 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 248 Posts
My name is Max. I live north of St. Louis on the Illinois side. As long as I can remember I have always owned a working bicycle. It's only the last several years where I've become more obsessed with riding for riding's sake. I have an mtb, hybrid, and a road bike and I love them all. They all serve a different purpose for me. My favorite place to ride is through the wildlife refuges on my mtb.
Old 08-16-09, 06:10 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My name is Bob and I live in northwest TN and am 64 years old. Went to Key West a couple of years ago and rented a bike for the week. Never moved the car while I was there. I bought my bike a couple of years ago and have really enjoyed it. I ususally ride it to the office everyday, about 7 miles round trip and for running errands. My Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/bo...s1?ref=profile
Old 08-16-09, 07:25 AM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you everyone it is a pleasure to meet you all. The forum is only days old at this point but we want to welcome everyone. Please don't think we have forgotten our manners! Enjoy the forum and feel free to participate where ever you feel comfortable.
Old 08-16-09, 08:03 AM

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Jonathan Gennick. 47, confirmed bike-a-holic.

I usually use the term "around-town" bike -- especially with my non-biking friends -- rather than hybrid. My current around-town bike is a Fargo built up with flat bars. Last fall/winter/spring I built up a Rockhopper with fenders, rack, lights. I'm planning to build it back up for this coming winter. Am I allowed to call that Rockhopper a "hybrid"? It sure looked like one when I got done w/it. Maybe I'll dredge up a photo.

Most of my errands around town are measured in blocks. When I ride to church, that is about three miles. Sometimes on weekends I will go on longer road rides. My longest so far this summer has been around 22 miles, give or take a few. More often, my longer rides are on my mountain-bike, which is fodder for a different forum.

If you've read this far, I've a photo-based bio here: https://gennick.com/bio.html
Old 08-18-09, 05:43 AM
Zensunni Wanderer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello forum members, mods and admins.

My name is Kenny. I'm a 51 year old Clyde. Current cycling project is to increase cadence rpm.
Old 08-18-09, 03:04 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Trek 720 Multitrack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, My name is Ron. 49 and I live and work in Santa Clara, CA. I install exhibitions in a local museum. I commute to work on my Trek 720 Multi Track, it is ten miles round trip. I am currently lusting after a Trek 15" (I am 5'4") 7300 that I have seen at my LBS.
Old 08-18-09, 07:30 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Hi, I'm Phil - North Aurora, IL - AKA "Wanderer"
63 year old married male
Retired - this is what I do for a living.... LOL
I don't commute, but try for 30 - 60 miles every day
Specialized Crosstrail, 08 - I love this bike.. a great all 'rounder.
Old 08-18-09, 07:49 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm Dan.
Age is about the average in this thread (maybe on the low side).
Semi-retired. Sort of.
I also sea kayak. A lot.
I also like to take a lot of photos.
Use my bikes for hopping around town (but not for carrying kayaks).
Cycle minimum 30km per day (when not paddling).
I have a list of about 5 more bikes that I need. Yes, need.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.