Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fixing a cut in a tubeless tire Hutchinson kit didn't work.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Fixing a cut in a tubeless tire Hutchinson kit didn't work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-19, 02:44 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
Superglue is frustrating stuff. I've used a ton of it in my model airplane hobby and I hate it but it's too convenient to abandon. If you use too much, it won't catalyze, staying "wet" for a long time. It's available in gel, high viscosity, lower viscosity that's almost like alcohol. You can also get accelerant to spray on the glue joint and catalyze it. If you get a lot of it on your hands you can get scalded when it kicks off, as well as the eye-watering fumes. You shouldn't need much, it should be gluing the sides of the hole together and not covering the gap. For this application I think if it's used at all, it should be the rubberized version. Regular superglue dries quite rigid which wouldn't be great with rubber tires. But it does seem very likely that something like Shoe Goo would be far better.

Keep superglue far away from Styrofoam, while you're at it
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 06-27-19 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-30-19, 10:36 AM
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 342 Times in 252 Posts
Update:

After getting the MTB seals to stick (marginally) and to seal (pretty well) I was able to ride. But a week ago I noticed a big bump (separation between the rubber of the tread, and the tire fabric). So the Hutchinson MTB patch was leaking. Having few options I got a Hutchinson Road Tubeless repair kit. Same incredibly inadequate instructions. And the road patchs are much smaller than the MTB patches. Too small?

In any case, I decided to try this. I went back to basics. Removed the tire. The old Hutchinson patches fell out. Dried, rolled up useless pieces of rubber. I washed off all liquid sealant from the tires, and dried it. Near each of the two holes, I rubbed off the congealed sealant and got a clean rubber surface. Roughed up that surface with the expanded metal "sandpaper" that was included. Applied rubber cement from the kit. Let dry. Removed the foil backing (the instructions don't tell you whether to remove the foil side or the clear side - unbelievable!) Applied the patch. Rubbed it to remove air bubbles, then removed the clear plastic. Finally got what I consider to be an acceptable bond. Reinstalled the tire on rim, seated it, added Bontrager sealant through the inflation stem using a syringe. Inflated, and the setup seems to be holding. A very slight bump on the tire observable at both places where I put in a new patch.

I intend to apply superglue to the outside of the tire and then deflate it, and let the superglue dry. Then I'll inflate and see if the bump (which is, again, VERY slight) is reduced.

One aspect of patching tubeless is that the patches Hutchinson supplies are rubber and have no reinforcement to bolster the cut tire cords (the cut is about 1/16 of an inch). It may be that any cut your sealant won't handle is an indication that the tire cords are too damaged for the tire to be used. We'll see how long the patched tire lasts.

I will point out that several people have mentioned Rema repair kits. I couldn't easily find the Rema kit for sale here in the states, but I think there is one: the Rema Tubeless Tire Repair Kit for Bicycles. Number 5060160. Be interested to know if someone had good results with this.