Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Heat

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-17, 09:20 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
I am trying to figure out what Tasmania has to do with anything.
I live in Tasmania. Tasmania has very cool summers. If you don't like hot summers, move to Tasmania or a place like it. Edmonton might be another good choice.
Old 07-04-17, 01:11 AM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
I don't want to camp, I just don't want my ass to sweat. Low humidity the last two days, but 92 Degrees is hot. Than add suburban sprawl, mixed with cars everywhere adding more heat, and that makes it worse.
Waiting at a traffic light, in the hot sun, surrounded by concrete and cars as far as you can see is the worst. I do more riding at night during hot spells.

Also, I know shady routes and breezy routes that take me most places I need to go. We have tree-shaded MUPs that go near to most destinations, and they are truly a blessing during the heat waves.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-04-17, 04:45 AM
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked 944 Times in 491 Posts
We have only a 90-day growing season up here, but it is my time to shine. It rarely goes up to 85 degrees at the mid-coast from mid june to mid sept, and the cycling is heaven, with about 3,000 feet of climbing gain on a 60-miler.

Old 07-04-17, 07:56 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Waiting at a traffic light, in the hot sun, surrounded by concrete and cars as far as you can see is the worst. I do more riding at night during hot spells.

Also, I know shady routes and breezy routes that take me most places I need to go. We have tree-shaded MUPs that go near to most destinations, and they are truly a blessing during the heat waves.
Trees are everywhere, but they are mostly off the road, or sidewalk. I bike mostly on the sidewalk. Just safer, and everything has been ramped for miles, and miles.
But those other factors, and even all the roads, and parking lots are adding a lot of heat.
Places like Falls Road, or the very pretty Roland Park are nice, but they aren't where I go for anything.
If you can afford Roland Park.........
Old 07-04-17, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
We have only a 90-day growing season up here, but it is my time to shine. It rarely goes up to 85 degrees at the mid-coast from mid june to mid sept, and the cycling is heaven, with about 3,000 feet of climbing gain on a 60-miler.
Great place in the summer, freeze your but in the winter. That's the problem, not to many places are temperate in the US. Places that most people could afford to live.
San Francisco would be my pick, but no way could I afford the place.
Old 07-04-17, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody

Although I love tree shade, and I constantly marvel at how much the temperature drops as you move between a sunny, paved area and a tree-shaded area, especially a forest; I also have a strange love of the solar-powered saunas where you can watch the heat shimmering off pavement and cars. If you have sufficient drinking water, you can get health benefits from sweating it out in the heat. Some people are more prone to heat stroke than others, I think, so you have to be careful, and of course the summer midday sun will burn you and/or initiate cancer at the cellular level; but if you can deal with all those negatives, there's a certain natural-artificial benefit from soaking up that solar-powered heat radiating off the pavement and steel.
Old 07-04-17, 12:15 PM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3951 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I live uphill from work, so with a lot of self-discipline, I can mostly coast to work on the hottest days and still avoid showering at work. In fact if I have to take public transit to work on a hot day, I sweat more than if I'd cycled. I shower before I leave home, and make sure not to have coffee until I have cooled off.

Last edited by cooker; 07-04-17 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-04-17, 02:52 PM

I just peddled my but off for a couple miles. It took 30 minutes in the AC to cool off. And as long as I was peddling I was fine.

I usually cruise. I am not always moving fast. (I use platform peddles)

It poured, but I was in my local Target. Businesses are everywhere. I can stop anywhere and get a bite, a drink, cool off, and I am not in the City.

Yes, getting into wooded areas is noticeably cooler. Also damper, and bugs......
Old 07-04-17, 04:06 PM
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 2,065 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
'Hanging wet laundry overnight will cause them to mildew and 'spoil' unless you are in an arid climate. I prefer hanging laundry in the sun so it dries in a matter of hours and smells clean.
I hardly live in an arid climate and often do a load of wash and hang it on the line before bed for it to dry the next day while I'm at work. Nothing has ever mildewed or "spoiled". Sometimes I might even forget it in the washer until the next evening and then hang it out.
Old 07-04-17, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by dedhed
I hardly live in an arid climate and often do a load of wash and hang it on the line before bed for it to dry the next day while I'm at work. Nothing has ever mildewed or "spoiled". Sometimes I might even forget it in the washer until the next evening and then hang it out.
Do you hang it outdoors or indoors in the air-conditioning? What is the temperature where it is hanging? Do you know the relative humidity?
Old 07-04-17, 09:29 PM
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 2,065 Posts
Do you hang it outdoors or indoors in the air-conditioning? What is the temperature where it is hanging? Do you know the relative humidity?
Outdoors on the clothesline. Temperature - anywhere from 30-100F Humidity - anywhere from 30% - 90%
Whatever the weather is that day. Sometimes it's sunny, sometimes it's cloudy, sometimes it's windy, sometimes not. Sometimes it gets rained on. Once I leave for work, it's in for whatever mother nature brings.

Here's what it's sitting in now. Tomorrow is high of 83 and partly sunny.
Humidity 84% Temperature 66
Wind Speed Calm
Barometer 30.12 in (1019.7 mb)
Dewpoint 61°F (16°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Last update 4 Jul 9:52 pm CDT
Old 07-04-17, 10:35 PM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by dedhed
+1

That's how we dry our laundry. We don't have a clothes dryer ... only a few people in Australia do. But we've all got clothes lines outside and/or drying racks inside.

I don't leave things in the washer more than a couple hours because they can wrinkle or start to take on a funny smell, but if I put them on the drying rack inside or on the clothes line outside (even if it is drizzling a bit) they will eventually dry and they're fine.

In fact, if there's any kind of breeze outside, they dry quite quickly out there. Breezy days are great for doing the bedding!
Old 07-06-17, 07:39 PM
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Edmonton might be another good choice.
Interesting you mention Edmonton. I was obsessed with moving there for a while (it never happened), in part because the climate seemed my speed.

Looking for new jobs in new places, then moving, has always been my and my partner's solution of choice when we do not like an area or get bored with it. I'm not sure why, but people find it rather odd that we have lived so many places (and our count is only up to six US states, each.)
Old 07-06-17, 11:18 PM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by wipekitty
Interesting you mention Edmonton. I was obsessed with moving there for a while (it never happened), in part because the climate seemed my speed.

Looking for new jobs in new places, then moving, has always been my and my partner's solution of choice when we do not like an area or get bored with it. I'm not sure why, but people find it rather odd that we have lived so many places (and our count is only up to six US states, each.)
We've lived a lot of places too ... and I have lived in Edmonton twice. I wouldn't put it at the top of my list of places to go!

We're like you ... don't like a place, get tired of a place ... and we move. I've lived in 4 Canadian Provinces and 2 Australian States, and I've moved within those provinces and states as well. In fact, we're getting close to yet another move! It's starting to feel like time again.
Old 07-07-17, 02:21 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would always rather be hot than cold. Wear next to nothing and sweat as necessary. Managing how sweaty you get is not necessary like in the cold.
Old 07-07-17, 02:31 PM

Not sure what Western Maryland has to do with Tasmania ... but ... OK. Basically, if you really don't like where you currently live ... move.
Sometimes having and expressing negative feelings toward something is part of a process of subjectively transforming your experience of it into something that's ultimately positive. If you moved every time you had a bad day or bad feeling where you live, you'd always be moving.
Old 07-07-17, 02:50 PM
In Real Life

you'd always be moving.
Excellent!!

You're speaking to one who has moved a whole lot of times. Keeps life interesting!
Old 07-07-17, 03:11 PM

Excellent!!

You're speaking to one who has moved a whole lot of times. Keeps life interesting!
Surely there are times you are unhappy when you don't want to move or be told to move because you're unhappy that day or moment.
Old 07-07-17, 03:26 PM
In Real Life

Surely there are times you are unhappy when you don't want to move or be told to move because you're unhappy that day or moment.
I'm not unhappy very often.

I move and travel lots because I want to ... because I am a restless person who wants to see and do more. It's great for gaining new experiences and perspectives.
Old 07-07-17, 03:34 PM

I'm not unhappy very often.

I move and travel lots because I want to ... because I am a restless person who wants to see and do more. It's great for gaining new experiences and perspectives.
And when you are, do you enjoy hearing someone tell you to move because you're unhappy?

If you missed someplace you once lived and you told Rowan you were sad because you couldn't easily go visit something you were thinking about, would you want him to tell you to move there if you miss it, or would you expect him to understand there there are nuances where you can sometimes be unhappy about something without wanting to move somewhere else?
Old 07-07-17, 03:37 PM
In Real Life

And when you are, do you enjoy hearing someone tell you to move because you're unhappy?

If you missed someplace you once lived and you told Rowan you were sad because you couldn't easily go visit something you were thinking about, would you want him to tell you to move there if you miss it, or would you expect him to understand there there are nuances where you can sometimes be unhappy about something without wanting to move somewhere else?
We often considered moving to places we have lived and liked or to new places. Suggesting a move to me is a good and exciting thing. 😀😀😀
Old 07-07-17, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Walter S
I would always rather be hot than cold. Wear next to nothing and sweat as necessary. Managing how sweaty you get is not necessary like in the cold.
Not me. I would take 45 over 90 in a second.
Old 07-07-17, 04:03 PM

We often considered moving to places we have lived and liked or to new places. Suggesting a move to me is a good and exciting thing. 😀😀😀
Even as a response to you feeling unhappy of something at a particular moment?
Old 07-07-17, 04:08 PM
In Real Life

Even as a response to you feeling unhappy of something at a particular moment?
Yep ... cheers me right up to think about moving or travel.
Old 07-07-17, 04:13 PM

Yep ... cheers me right up to think about moving or travel.
Why don't you move to another thread where I won't read your posts and find them dishonest. Does that cheer you up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.