Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Drivers Get Rolled Bicyclists are making unreasonable claims to the road—and winning

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Drivers Get Rolled Bicyclists are making unreasonable claims to the road—and winning

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-13, 09:11 PM
Twilight Requiem

Bikes: TrekFX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a silly article written by a silly clown.

Hilarious. He should write for MAD magazine.

He's like Al Jaffee but instead of a cartoon he spouts ridiculously long sentences with all incorrect words placed in absurdly deranged order.

Either that or I'm having a stroke.
Old 11-19-13, 12:47 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I dont believe it to be the same guy. The guy on the Medved show never addresses recreational bikers, he mostly is aiming at accomadating bicycle commuters. He says there are 750,000 bicycle commuters in the entire country and to spend money on keeping these "obnoxious" bikers safe is a waste of money and a rip off of tax payers. Also went on to say 750 of these bikers go on to get killed every year, claiming the rate of death is very high.
Old 11-19-13, 01:36 AM

Bikes: Modified Catrike Trail (26" rear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are any of you folks rich ?
I may be buying a 3k trike, but I saved up for that by sharing rent with 5 other people and paying off all my outstanding debts... I work at Walmart for petes sake Cycling isn't a rich mans hobby, proof of that is in the number of 50 dollar bikes that fly off the shelves at your local one stop shops.
Old 11-19-13, 08:28 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Atophy
Cycling isn't a rich mans hobby, proof of that is in the number of 50 dollar bikes that fly off the shelves at your local one stop shops.
Most of those 50 dollar bikes end up collecting dust at someone's residence, ridden at a park once or twice a year. The bike will eventually end up in a recycle bin being that the bike is basically a throw away, with another being purchased, perpetuating a vicious cycle (non pun intended).
Old 11-19-13, 08:51 AM
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Atophy
Are any of you folks rich ?
Hardly! But one of the many beauties of bicycling is that it transcends financial and social classes. I work in a very, very posh hotel in D.C. Our guests transportation choices vary from bicycles to armored Suburbans. In the past I got a real kick of directing an owner of a Weekly Standard competitor to the nearest bike share station.

I posted the article originally because it is rare to find such a diatribe against bicyclists in a national magazine. What I've come across before have been nut job letters to newspaper editors or professional cranks crying totalitarianism while filling space to make a deadline for their weekly column. The author of this article certainly isn't the first and I don't think the second. Caldwell is respected, seemingly political moderate, and astoundingly wrong. While ignorance also transcends class and politics, the source of this example surprised me.
Old 11-19-13, 09:34 AM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I have a $1000 bike, but most not-rich people have cars that cost more.

People at astronomy events start to grouse about it being a "rich man's hobby" when they hear about scopes costing $5000, but as one guy in our club says, he just drives his old car an extra 2 years and that pays for a new scope every 5 years or so.

People have no problem spending $5000 to $50000 on a car that probably will last no more than 10 years, perhaps no more than 3, and will have little resale value. But spend $1000 on a bike so you can get something reliable and reasonably pleasurable to ride and you're a "rich man"
Old 11-19-13, 09:51 AM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe

People at astronomy events start to grouse about it being a "rich man's hobby" when they hear about scopes costing $5000, but as one guy in our club says, he just drives his old car an extra 2 years and that pays for a new scope every 5 years or so.

People have no problem spending $5000 to $50000 on a car that probably will last no more than 10 years, perhaps no more than 3, and will have little resale value. But spend $1000 on a bike so you can get something reliable and reasonably pleasurable to ride and you're a "rich man"
Heck spend $3000 on a real good bike and you have still come no where close to the costs of a motor vehicle... especially when you calculate insurance, gas and other repairs.
Old 11-19-13, 10:37 AM

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I paid $6,500 for my car in 2001 that I'm still driving today, having put 245,000 miles on it myself. I'd say I got my money's worth there.
Old 11-19-13, 12:04 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,579 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
Most of those 50 dollar bikes end up collecting dust at someone's residence, ridden at a park once or twice a year. The bike will eventually end up in a recycle bin being that the bike is basically a throw away, with another being purchased, perpetuating a vicious cycle (non pun intended).
You sure of that? Any credible support or reference for this besides guesswork, anecdotes, and possibly contempt for those who buy/use inexpensive bikes?
Old 11-19-13, 12:35 PM
genec

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You sure of that? Any credible support or reference for this besides guesswork, anecdotes, and possibly contempt for those who buy/use inexpensive bikes?
How about the huge amount of bike sales across the land while regular bike ridership is at something like 1.6% of modal share. No wait, obviously no one is counting the riding cyclists.... yeah, that's it.

https://nbda.com/articles/industry-ov...-2012-pg34.htm

39.3 million Americans age seven and older were estimated to have ridden a bicycle six times or more in 2012, according to the National Sporting Goods Association. This number was flat as compared to 2011.
So of the other 359 days, it is highly likely that those bikes gathered dust somewhere.

Some 18 million bikes were sold last year... where are those riders?
Old 11-19-13, 01:55 PM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
An AZ Republic editorial writer mini-ed:

https://www.azcentral.com/opinions/ar...mute-work.html

"...I learned that even on Phoenix’s bike-unfriendly streets, bicycle commuting is faster than you may think and infinitely more fun (and exciting) than driving."
Old 11-19-13, 02:03 PM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by genec
How about the huge amount of bike sales across the land while regular bike ridership is at something like 1.6% of modal share. No wait, obviously no one is counting the riding cyclists.... yeah, that's it.

https://nbda.com/articles/industry-ov...-2012-pg34.htm

So of the other 359 days, it is highly likely that those bikes gathered dust somewhere.

Where do your stats indicate that Mucho$ road bikes or mountain bikes sold to recreational riders by LBS's are ridden anymore frequently than $50 bikes sold to the hoi polloi?
Old 11-19-13, 02:11 PM
genec

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Where do your stats indicate that Mucho$ road bikes or mountain bikes sold to recreational riders by LBS's are ridden anymore frequently than $50 bikes sold to the hoi polloi?
They don't. Such stats don't exist. In fact bicycle statistics are mostly made up... there is no reliable method to find out how much cyclists in any area ride or how many cyclists ride.

The only reliable stat is dead cyclists... all other bicycle stats are projections of polls or surveys.
Old 11-19-13, 02:44 PM
Been Around Awhile

.. all other bicycle stats are projections of polls or surveys.
...or projections of an individual's wishful thinking, guesswork, fabrication and/or anectdotes as recently posted about the life cycle of inexpensive bikes sold by WalMart and similar stores.
Old 11-19-13, 07:33 PM

Bikes: Modified Catrike Trail (26" rear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I think a bicycle is probably seen as a vanity item more than a practical one, by non-cyclists at least..
Old 11-19-13, 11:32 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
That was my thought exactly, there were close to 14 million new vehicles sold in the US in 2012, and I saw a share of them in my locale, and I agree, with 18 million sold, where are all the bikes?