Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

RIVER TRAILS OPEN?? Anyone been on the LARIO, Rio Hondo or SGRT lately?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

RIVER TRAILS OPEN?? Anyone been on the LARIO, Rio Hondo or SGRT lately?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-10, 11:14 PM

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Robaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trail not bad today. Still some debris, just be careful going under some underpasses. Road drying up...for now.
Old 12-27-10, 08:51 AM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toolbear
Alice -

Neat pix. How did you do that collage? It gets the job done. Looks like I better give the SGRT a week or so.
Hi Trailbear

The collage just kind of happens when I upload several pictures at once from my hard drive, ever since the last forum upgrade.
Old 12-27-10, 06:43 PM

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Scorpion FS trike, Specialized FSRxc Expert, Swissbike LX folding hardtail, Dahon Speed 7 folder

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Monday 12.27

Looks like the water has gone down the Santa Ana Riverl. Coming home today on the 57 S. No racing brown water as I crossed the river above Orangewood. Looked more like puddles and such. The crossing there should be open.
Old 12-27-10, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toolbear
Monday 12.27

Looks like the water has gone down the Santa Ana Riverl. Coming home today on the 57 S. No racing brown water as I crossed the river above Orangewood. Looked more like puddles and such. The crossing there should be open.
It's not open, they still have the signs up today. But I went through anyway and found a good amount of sand and mud on the crossing still there. I was able to get across, but had to be careful. On the way back, I crossed Orangewood instead of going through the crossing again.
Old 12-28-10, 03:14 AM
aka Jerome

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uncle Jams Army
It's not open, they still have the signs up today. But I went through anyway and found a good amount of sand and mud on the crossing still there. I was able to get across, but had to be careful. On the way back, I crossed Orangewood instead of going through the crossing again.
Don't expect the county maintenence crews to clean up the Orangewood undercrossing until after 2011 begins. It's passable, but only narrowly so on the North side.
Old 12-29-10, 04:56 AM
aka Jerome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CritEastwood
Don't expect the county maintenence crews to clean up the Orangewood undercrossing until after 2011 begins. It's passable, but only narrowly so on the North side.
According to our three-wheeled ursine friend, the county moved on this yesterday. If this incoming storm does what it's supposed to, that'll probably be all for naught.
Old 12-29-10, 11:13 AM

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL3, Bianchi Cafe Milano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the SGRT, the Wardlow St. undercrossing (through El Dorado Park) is still flooded as of 12-28. Will probably get worse today.
Old 12-29-10, 11:19 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac E5 S-works, Specialized Tarmac Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried taking the san gabriel this morning, entered through valley blvd next to the 605, but found the problem of getting through the underpasses, their flooded with standing water, It's actually been an issue for months now since i guess the water pumps are clogged? If i find the gate open to ride on top of santa fe dam there in whittier, I'll definately be there all day just riding back and forth and going up the long slope, better than being home riding on a trainie. Plus need to try my new michelin tires
Old 12-29-10, 10:59 PM
aka Jerome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be checking out SARTP/Orangewood later for an update.

Apparently the SARTP in the IE had some heavy mud flows next to Mt Rubidoux and at least one flooded under-crossing East of Riverside.
Old 12-30-10, 02:41 AM
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evilpulse8
I tried taking the san gabriel this morning, entered through valley blvd next to the 605, but found the problem of getting through the underpasses, their flooded with standing water, It's actually been an issue for months now since i guess the water pumps are clogged?
You're talking about the SGRT going under the 10 freeway. That's flooded every time it rains; has been for years. Heading south from that spot should be smooth sailing for you.

And WTF about doing hill repeats on the dam? The San Gabriel Mountains are about a 15 minute ride from there - go up 39, GMR, etc. Hill repeats are completely unneccesary when you've got mountains!
Old 12-30-10, 05:17 AM
aka Jerome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would appear that the Army Corps of Engineers increased the flow from Prado Dam sometime tonight. At 7PM it was only about a foot up at the Lincoln rollerdam. It's four feet up right now and Orangewood is in SCUBA mode again. The best part of that is the absence of the warning/detour signs in the path on either side of Orangewood.
Old 01-01-11, 06:09 AM
aka Jerome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your 01/01/11 plans include the SARTP, the Orangewood undercrossing is still under water. The rest looks ok though.
Old 01-01-11, 06:13 PM

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL3, Bianchi Cafe Milano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wardlow undercrossing on SGRT is clear. Watch out for sand & debris buildup along the trail. Saw a kid on a hybrid wash out his front tire and go down.
Old 01-01-11, 06:22 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac E5 S-works, Specialized Tarmac Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@rooftest
I actually did try that, thanks Gotta love riding down on the way back to the dam and out back to the river trail.
worked great except for at times riding over a few puddles on the way towards the mountains. Took a skid and untrued the wheels but it was so worth it to drop the gained holiday weight.
Old 01-03-11, 07:04 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I rode the Aliso Creek Bike Trail in OC on Thursday from Trabuco up to Cook's.
There was some sand/debris in the underpasses, but rideable.
Between Portola/RSM Parkway and the parking lot at Saddleback Church/Marguerite the trail was closed.
Being on my MTB and curious, I went past and observed about 200 yards of 6-8 inch deep mud and water. There were truck tracks, so it looked like OC Parks was already clearing it out. Maybe they've finished by now - or had to start over.
Old 01-04-11, 11:06 AM
aka Jerome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You missed a spot^

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Wow, trail was flooded at Orangewood!

Old 01-05-11, 08:04 PM
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rio Hondo Trail is clear from San Gabriel Blvd all the way to the park at Peck. The path behind that dam that leads to Arcadia is under a TON of water, and is closed.

SGRT is clear from the 4 corners dam all the way north. Surprisingly, the tunnel under the 10 has no standing water!
Old 01-06-11, 01:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Left my house at 10:33 am took the Rio Hondo North to Whittier narrows dam. Use Lincoln as there still is a lot of water behind the dam. Went over to SGRT Via Siphon RD, no water problem behind the east part. Went to the Santa Fe Dam. Water under the 10 but was shallow. On the return trip the water was deeper under the 10 at about 12:30 pm. Hope they fixed this problem if there was no water later.
Old 01-06-11, 03:23 AM
aka Jerome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The SARTP at Orangewood is still under water at 0230 this morning, though the release at Prado seems to be less than last week.

Last edited by CritEastwood; 01-06-11 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-06-11, 01:11 PM

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Wondering if Euclid by the 71 is still under water. That's a part of my week day ride
Old 01-06-11, 09:14 PM
Slow and Steady

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode the SGRT from Encarto Park to the River's End Cafe on 01/05. On the way down, there was 2 inches of standing water under the 10 FWY bridge. All other bridge under crossings were water free. On the way back, the water under the 10 FWY was mostly gone.
Old 01-06-11, 09:24 PM

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Scorpion FS trike, Specialized FSRxc Expert, Swissbike LX folding hardtail, Dahon Speed 7 folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So that section in Lake Forest that goes up the streambed in El Toro Park was open? Interesting bit with the bleacher seating motif on the banks and the plate for a crossing.

I was up there in spring and the main restroom at Heros' Park was locked. That ever open? There were a few portas around.
Old 01-06-11, 09:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CritEastwood
The SARTP at Orangewood is still under water at 0230 this morning, though the release at Prado seems to be less than last week.
@@@

Home of the Corona Airpport, eh?. There was a new story about them expecting to take 2 weeks to draw down the water behind Prado Dam. Something about a waste line, etc. down stream that they did not want to wash out.

If Prado is backed up over the airport and gun range, what is the story behind Santa Fe Dam on teh SGRT?
Old 01-06-11, 10:35 PM
aka Jerome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apparently the ACE was releasing 5,000 CFS from Prado before cutting it back to protect the waste line feeder. They didn't say how much, but from the looks of things then and now, it's probably at least 3,000 CFS and will be that for the next ten to fourteen days. Orangewood is still under water and will be until it's over. After they cut back, I may do some hiking around above Featherly in the riverbed to look for points. After that much water running for so long, there's bound to be some laying around.
Old 01-08-11, 10:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ran up the Peters Canyon Wash Trail in Irvine today, testing a new crank set with lower gearing.

The trail is clean and dry in all the underpasses, but just look at what came down in the last rains. Never saw that amount of debris stacked up. There was a track hoe up the trail for debris clearing. Wonder where the basket ball sized rip rap came from.

Attached Images

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.