Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

What’s your technique for mudholes?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

What’s your technique for mudholes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-18, 12:57 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11048 Post(s)
Liked 7,595 Times in 4,235 Posts
Originally Posted by ogmtb
This is actually the opposite of what you should do.

Do not ride around the mud - that leads to trail widening. Keep singletrack single. Ride through it.

In many areas mud is unavoidable (temperate rainforests like the PNW, higher latitudes, etc.) but is fine to ride through if the loam content is high. Again, the last thing you want to do is ride around it on singletrack.

There is no reason to worry about ruining the "trail" by riding through the mud in many of the previous photos. Those aren't trails, they are roads.
I guess.

It still seems more logical to go around the mud hole. Create a new path around the perpetually wet area and there is overall less trail wear. Makes sense to me, and I see it done around where I live, so i figured its just sort of what is done as a default. If a low lying area is wet to the point of standing water while the rest of the singletrack is in good condition, then rerouting the trail around a few trees that are on higher ground seems like a good thing.

But you are the OG, so ill defer to you.
Old 10-30-18, 01:06 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I guess.

It still seems more logical to go around the mud hole. Create a new path around the perpetually wet area and there is overall less trail wear. Makes sense to me, and I see it done around where I live, so i figured its just sort of what is done as a default. If a low lying area is wet to the point of standing water while the rest of the singletrack is in good condition, then rerouting the trail around a few trees that are on higher ground seems like a good thing.

But you are the OG, so ill defer to you.
Even though this has been a best practice for many years you don’t have to simply take my word for it.

IMBA, MBOSC and many other trail organizations have suggested that riding though is better than riding around, for the reasons I stated above. Many publications have discussed the same.
Old 10-30-18, 01:44 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
did a little of each last night

Old 11-01-18, 10:04 AM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,434 Posts
I have done a lot of trail maintenance over the years, which leads me to try to stay off the trails when I know it is a mudfest. But encountering mud holes is just a fact of life in some areas.

I manual trough them when I can. Otherwise I try to ride through rather than widen the trail, because..... see my first statement. However, if there is standing water in the mud hole, and I don't know how deep it is..... I'm probably going around it.

Oh, and one thing you should NOT do is throw a bunch of sticks in the mud hole. It makes it worse in the long run.
Old 11-01-18, 11:22 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

you ever dump gravel in a mudhole?
Old 11-01-18, 01:50 PM
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
did a little of each last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGiYTE-pJ4s
I'm looking forward to doing some trail riding at night this year. Work is about to get crazy and I won't get anytime to ride, but once Christmas is over I'll be back riding. I figured I'd get a light along with a new trail bike at the start of the new year, and look out trails at night.
Old 11-01-18, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
I'm looking forward to doing some trail riding at night this year. Work is about to get crazy and I won't get anytime to ride, but once Christmas is over I'll be back riding. I figured I'd get a light along with a new trail bike at the start of the new year, and look out trails at night.
it's pretty darn fun & just a tad creepy. cpl weeks ago I could swear I heard bigfoot throwing big rocks into the water next me. there was the sound of water splash but also the sound of rock hitting rock ... then on my last nite ride while crossing near a beaver dam I heard a weird noise. totally spooked me. turned around & the bike w/ light only to see a canoe on the edge. so fun!
Old 11-01-18, 03:58 PM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
you ever dump gravel in a mudhole?
As part of a larger remediation measure, I have used gravel, but just putting gravel in a mud hole is most likely going to be a temporary fix, and likely create more work once you want to do a proper fix.
Old 11-06-18, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3056 Post(s)
Liked 1,219 Times in 790 Posts
Some of you guys riding through the mud holes are the reason we can't have nice things.