Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Co2 inflator or small pump?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Co2 inflator or small pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-23, 10:59 AM
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2319 Post(s)
Liked 3,548 Times in 1,870 Posts
I bought a (modern) Silca frame pump. Best $175 I ever spent on a frame pump.
Old 08-07-23, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 708 Posts
Running tubeless on all my bikes so mostly used for topping pressure up.

Long distance multi day rides use a full size frame pump.
Commuting and regular riding, small Pressure Drive pump.
Group ride and sporting ride CO2 with 2 cartridges
​​​​​​
Old 08-07-23, 11:21 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5120 Post(s)
Liked 8,458 Times in 3,994 Posts
For most rides, I carry just CO2 with 2 cartridges for my road bike, and 3 for MTB or gravel bike. For longer MTB or gravel rides I have a mini hand pump in my hydration pack as an emergency backup.
Old 08-07-23, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 212 Posts
I carry both. I prefer the convenience of CO2 but also the potential unlimited air from the pump. As for the waste of the CO2 cartridges mentioned, I do this so rarely it's a non-issue. It's been over a year since I needed to use CO2 or the pump. Knock on wood.

And in fact, I've never used the pump for myself. Just others I run across who have forgotten their pumps or had some issue with them.

I could certainly make an argument to not bother with the pump. But I treat it like a talisman. If I'm prepared, it won't happen, if I'm not prepared, I'm doomed.

As an example, I keep a foot of Gorilla tape wrapped around my pump. Just in case I need to tape something down. Sure enough, for some reason on one ride I forgot that pump. Didn't need the pump, but broke a spoke that was flapping about. I thought, "hey I'm prepared, I have that tape around the pump ... that I left at home. Dang it." Made use of a bit of tape in the small first aid kit I carry to deal with that. Yeah, I'm a belt and suspenders type.
Old 08-07-23, 12:04 PM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 6393 Post(s)
Liked 4,991 Times in 3,436 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Whoa! Do you mean the valve core got pulled out? Pulling the valve stem out of the tube seems…incredible! If it was the valve core, any idea why they didn’t just screw it back in?
Nope, Not the valve core, the valve stem. One the entire valve stem came out of the inner tube. The other the rubber around the valve stem just began to come loose. I've pulled the stem out entirely myself with a floor pump that the air chuck was old and going bad and didn't release fully when unlocked. That was over a long period of time with many uses while it was bad before I pulled the stem out. But on these other two I was watching they had the small hand pumps that connected directly to the valve. As they pumped frantically for a long time to get air in the tire, they were rocking the pump wildly and I wasn't surprised at all when the tires deflated.

Presta valves are the only ones I've seen this with. Schrader's being larger have a beefier boot going into the tube.
Old 08-07-23, 01:05 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2412 Post(s)
Liked 3,008 Times in 1,629 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I don't inflate my tires with dimeric cobalt.
periodic table jokes

Old 08-07-23, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 1,278 Times in 813 Posts
Yes.
Old 08-07-23, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1885 Post(s)
Liked 1,759 Times in 1,021 Posts

Old fashioned here. This is what I use: Zephal HPX #4. Inflates tires many times as fast as any mini pump
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 08-07-23, 04:32 PM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 714 Posts
Whoa! Do you mean the valve core got pulled out? Pulling the valve stem out of the tube seems…incredible! If it was the valve core, any idea why they didn’t just screw it back in?
I have sheared the stem off using a hand pump once. My rookie mistake was leaning the wheel against a wall and only holding the pump, which in turn sawed back and forth until it ripped the whole stem off.

Some complain of Lezyne hose pumps— which thread on— unscrewing valve cores when removed if not done with care, and I’ve pulled a core from a plastic valve stem with a fixed head Specialized Air Tool Road pump once, but I’d have thought that was rare, because most valve stems are metal, I think. Anyway, I was able to screw the core back into the stem without any problem, so maybe it was loose when I started and I only stripped a couple of stem threads pulling off the pump…
I now use one of those thread on hose pumps from Lezyne. Haven't had a problem, and I no longer need to cradle the whole wheel and pump in my hand to avoid above mentioned mistake.
Old 08-07-23, 06:12 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4527 Post(s)
Liked 4,230 Times in 2,830 Posts
I would recommend carrying the Topeak Road Morph but in most cases I also carry CO2 in case I need a quick inflate because maybe it is raining or something else is happening. The pump is really the best way to do it, it uses standard air and that way you don't have to reinflate when you get back home. However in that emergency I have the CO2 just in case.
Old 08-07-23, 06:24 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I carry both. CO2 inflator and a couple of cartridges in my seat pack, along with the spare tube, patch kit, and latex gloves, plus a mini pump attached to my frame. CO2 gets me most of the way there, and then top it off as needed with the mini pump.
Likes For goaliedad30:
Old 08-07-23, 06:43 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 484 Posts
Important to use a small frame or mini pump properly, especially for Presta.
One has to support the pump/pump head and wheel when pumping...
1. When putting the pump onto the valve - put thumb on tire, directly above where the valve is located - that will allow the head to be pushed on without damage to the valve/tube.
2. Support the pump (as shown in pic) with the thumb curled over the top of Tire/wheel. Support the pump head side with the index/fore finger, support the pump head below/around the barrel of the pump. No real need to use the ring finger or pinky - but you can if you want to.
3. Don't 'lean' the wheel against anything, allow it to move as your pump hand might move - pumphead / valve at top most position.

How to Properly handle/cradle a mini pump

4. When done, to release the pump off valve - DON'T try to wiggle the pump head off. Unlock any locking lever, pump and valve still at topmost position, wheel on solid ground. Hold the pump barrel (mid or pump handle area) with one hand. The a quick downward rap of the free hand, onto the barrel directly near the pump head. It will disengage without any valve damage.
Done.
This was especially important when working with delicate silk or racing cotton tubulars which often had very light Latex tubes sewn in... But works for any direct attach pump.
You could get a pump with hose and screw-on head - but those often lose pressure as you unscrew the head... your choice.
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 08-07-23, 06:57 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,491 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
1. When putting the pump onto the valve - put thumb on tire, directly above where the valve is located - that will allow the head to be pushed on without damage to the valve/tube.
2. Support the pump (as shown in pic) with the thumb curled over the top of Tire/wheel. Support the pump head side with the index/fore finger, support the pump head below/around the barrel of the pump. No real need to use the ring finger or pinky - but you can if you want to.
3. Don't 'lean' the wheel against anything, allow it to move as your pump hand might move - pumphead / valve at top most position.

4. When done, to release the pump off valve - DON'T try to wiggle the pump head off. Unlock any locking lever, pump and valve still at topmost position, wheel on solid ground. Hold the pump barrel (mid or pump handle area) with one hand. The a quick downward rap of the free hand, onto the barrel directly near the pump head. It will disengage without any valve damage.
Done.
This was especially important when working with delicate silk or racing cotton tubulars which often had very light Latex tubes sewn in... But works for any direct attach pump.
You could get a pump with hose and screw-on head - but those often lose pressure as you unscrew the head... your choice.
Ride On
Yuri
My Topeak Road Morph has a hose and so does my Lezyne Pressure Drive. Easy to use, don't have to worry about damaging a presta valve.
Old 08-07-23, 08:40 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3620 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,964 Posts
I carry both. I have bilateral shoulder injuries that can impede pumping to adequate pressure. But relying on CO2 alone is not sufficient.
Old 08-08-23, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 876 Posts
Good advice and agree 100% - I've seen others damage presta valve stems by wrenching on the mini-pump too much. This is easy to do when you're hurrying and people are waiting, etc. Mini-pumps are somewhat difficult to use and require a lot of pumping, so the natural tendency is to brace the wheel against something and rapidly pump - both of which can damage the stem.

The pumps that have a little hose to attach to the valve seem easier to use and might avoid this.
Old 08-08-23, 09:03 AM
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked 803 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
The pumps that have a little hose to attach to the valve seem easier to use and might avoid this.
Yeah…I’m one of those who’ve broken too many valve stems using a mini pump. So, I’ve obtained mini/frame pumps with hoses that screw onto the valve stem. It makes a good connection and you don’t have to worry about wrenching it around and breaking.

Dan
Old 08-08-23, 12:58 PM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22772 Post(s)
Liked 9,169 Times in 4,253 Posts

Done.
Ride On
Yuri
Agree, but another good option is to inflate tire while wheel is off the bike, put valve at 12:00 and let weight of wheel keep valve engaged (ie hold wheel up in the air). This minimizes strain on the valve stem.

Or use pump with a hose as also suggested.
Old 08-09-23, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 289 Posts
I carry two CO2 cartridges along with a spare tube. I know that if I use the CO2 that I will need to deflate and reinflate the tube when I get home but that is not a big deal.

I used to have a long pump mounted below the top tube of my road bikes but with mountain bike frames that is not practical. I prefer to use the same repair kit under my seat for all my bikes and so have gone the CO2 route.
Old 08-09-23, 04:48 PM
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 369 Posts
I counted 200 strokes on my old Mini Morph pump, to get a 25mm tire up to maybe 50-60 psi, enough to finish the ride.
Old 08-09-23, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 453 Posts
I carry 3 co2 inflators 3 pumps including a floor pump, electric compressor and 5 gallon tank, tube of slime, 10 patch kits, plug kit, 15 tire levers with metal cores, and 2 extra tires and 5 layers of tire liners. It only adds 150 lbs to my total ride.

Or just have a good tire and an updated Uber app and save yourself all the hassle.
Old 08-09-23, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,102 Times in 7,560 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
Topeak Road Morph stays in the pannier and does a great very good job. I've never used it for a puncture, but I have used it to pump up a near flat tire from loss of pressure.
Mine does a very great very good job. Maybe you got a defective one.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-10-23, 01:19 AM

Bikes: Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1 / Cervelo zht

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
If tubeless co2 is must in case your tire gets unseated. When I was running inner tubes I would carry just pump.

My Mtb, gravel and road bike all tubeless now so I carry both. I only use the pump unless a tire gets unseated then I will use the co2.
Old 08-10-23, 05:37 AM

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 807 Times in 515 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I carry both, but if you have to choose only one I would go with a pump because it is possible to get multiple flats or to have a tube fail (all has happened)

I did start carrying co2 after having a flat, then a tube failure and pumping up in the sun at 95 degrees was a pain. I also carry 2 tubes and a patch kit...so that kinda shows wear my mind set is
Same for me and a boot incase a tire needs support for ride after fix.
Some will even carry a spare foldup tire for those extreme blow outs.
Old 08-10-23, 05:39 AM

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 807 Times in 515 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
I carry 3 co2 inflators 3 pumps including a floor pump, electric compressor and 5 gallon tank, tube of slime, 10 patch kits, plug kit, 15 tire levers with metal cores, and 2 extra tires and 5 layers of tire liners. It only adds 150 lbs to my total ride.

Or just have a good tire and an updated Uber app and save yourself all the hassle.
Do you also carry an extra wheel or both a front and back
Likes For joesch:
Old 08-10-23, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Mine does a very great very good job. Maybe you got a defective one.
I meant to say, amazing...LOL!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.