Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you guys tip at your LBS?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you guys tip at your LBS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 11:15 AM
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
This is exactly the thinking that irritates me. I effing hate this mentality. There is already a system in place. 1st come 1st served. You think the extra money money makes it ok to inconvenience me when I was there first? Will it really when I take my business elsewhere?
Not calling you out on it or anything, but as a consumer I have to say thats crap. And when I have it happen to me I vote with my $. My lbs. has missed out on 3 bike sales do to this kind of stuff.
Meh....it's no different in any other industry either. In manufacturing we like to say, "If you want to be sure i will miss your shipping date then give me the order way in advance." It's kind of human nature - small businesses are usually skilled in "fire-fighting". As such are much better at having to work under pressure.

I don't disagree with your point of view - it's just the way it is though. Think of the thread the other guy would post though - "I went into an LBS because my bike wasn't shifting right. I had a big ride later that night and just knew it would be a 5 minute fix. Hoping to ensure that I could get the work done while I waiting I brought in some fresh baked goods and a six pack - I am in good form and just HAD to show up and finally beat Freddy up that hill tonight. When I asked the guy at the shop he said that he'd love to help but he would have to write up a ticket and it would have to go into the queue with all of the other repairs. That would take about a week to get it fixed. I was furious. It was just a simple adjustment. I even offered to pay him more than what he would charge - up front and in cash just to help me out. He refused again saying, 'it wouldn't be fair to all of the other repairs in the queue.' I was SOOOOooooo pissed that I walked out and will never return again. i am voting with my $$ and buying my bikes and repairs elsewhere where people actually care about customer service."

See what I mean?

In general I serve the guy in front of me because....he's there. Things can be done for the guy waiting. If I miss his date i can try to make it up to him in some way. The guy in front of me - gets what he wants or he leaves.

Old 07-20-10, 11:27 AM

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
In general I serve the guy in front of me because....he's there. Things can be done for the guy waiting. If I miss his date i can try to make it up to him in some way. The guy in front of me - gets what he wants or he leaves.
Indeed. On a related note, I HATE it when I'm standing at the counter of a business, engaging in some sort of transaction, and then the clerk goes off to answer a ringing phone. Sorry, if you're in business, you should have an answering machine. Unless I've already paid and am waiting for change, doing that is a guaranteed way to make me turn around and leave. It boggles my mind that people in business will do that.
Old 07-20-10, 11:33 AM

Bikes: 09 Specialized Allez Compact

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's their job to answer your questions... if they are doing their job, you give the shop your business, and it's even. You let ownership know by writing a letter or email that you received good service. You give them referrals. This is just all parties in the transaction doing what they are supposed to do.

The LBS model is "pay more than you have to, and in return get good service". You're not supposed to be shocked when you get good service and start doling out more. You've already voluntarily paid above market to shop there.

Last edited by wild1; 07-20-10 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-20-10, 11:40 AM
Scarlet Knight

Bikes: 2009 ORBEA Onix Rival. 2012 Felt Breed, 1999 Raleigh 500

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
If you take care of someone, they will take care of you. Not necessarily now, but they will remember you. I asked this same question last year after I broke my Rival brifter. I took it into my LBS, ordered the part (they are only sold in pairs), and he charged me HIS COST for the part, and $25 labor! I told him that he didn't charge me enough. (I had not purchased the bike there either). I brought him 2 6-packs of microbrew and a tupperware of choc chip cookies that my wife and I baked.

6 months later when we were looking for a bike for my wife, I called him up. He searched for 4 weeks to find us a mildly distressed Specialized which ended up saving us $$. He said, "You brought us cookies and beer, we'll always remember you!). Now he has a loyal customer, and I have a good relationship with somone I NEED to have a good relationship with. Everyone wins.
Old 07-20-10, 11:42 AM
Lost

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
it's always a good idea to "grease the skids" a little. i do all my own bike work, but i've found that there is something magical about dunkin doughnuts. a good cup of coffee and a frosted doughnut (with sprinkles!) can move mountains at any service location.
Old 07-20-10, 11:43 AM
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Meh....it's no different in any other industry either. In manufacturing we like to say, "If you want to be sure i will miss your shipping date then give me the order way in advance." It's kind of human nature - small businesses are usually skilled in "fire-fighting". As such are much better at having to work under pressure.

I don't disagree with your point of view - it's just the way it is though. Think of the thread the other guy would post though - "I went into an LBS because my bike wasn't shifting right. I had a big ride later that night and just knew it would be a 5 minute fix. Hoping to ensure that I could get the work done while I waiting I brought in some fresh baked goods and a six pack - I am in good form and just HAD to show up and finally beat Freddy up that hill tonight. When I asked the guy at the shop he said that he'd love to help but he would have to write up a ticket and it would have to go into the queue with all of the other repairs. That would take about a week to get it fixed. I was furious. It was just a simple adjustment. I even offered to pay him more than what he would charge - up front and in cash just to help me out. He refused again saying, 'it wouldn't be fair to all of the other repairs in the queue.' I was SOOOOooooo pissed that I walked out and will never return again. i am voting with my $$ and buying my bikes and repairs elsewhere where people actually care about customer service."

See what I mean?

In all fairness, I see your point about , this is how things are. I am just saying as a consumer I dont like it. As for your second example. Thats not a customer thats a d.b. He is just pissed because he couldnt influence the mech. with money. Some people have morals that cant be purchased or even rented. As a consumer I shouldnt have to buy access or even rent it. If his extra fin is more important than a repeat customer then I guess you will get what you want.

I understand about the guy in front of you I just dont agree with the purchase of said favor. But its your buisness to run as you see fit. But then again if I am the guy waiting for a repair, why didnt you give me the same special treatment you are giving this guy that is before you now, when I was in front of you? So basicly I am waiting because someone else is willing to pay you extra to get something without waiting?
This creates a slippery slope in the ethics dept. that I would rather not have to think about.
Old 07-20-10, 11:45 AM
Lost

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
In all fairness, I see your point about , this is how things are. I am just saying as a consumer I dont like it. As for your second example. Thats not a customer thats a d.b. He is just pissed because he couldnt influence the mech. with money. Some people have morals that cant be purchased or even rented. As a consumer I shouldnt have to buy access or even rent it. If his extra fin is more important than a repeat customer then I guess you will get what you want.

I understand about the guy in front of you I just dont agree with the purchase of said favor. But its your buisness to run as you see fit. But then again if I am the guy waiting for a repair, why didnt you give me the same special treatment you are giving this guy that is before you now, when I was in front of you? So basicly I am waiting because someone else is willing to pay you extra to get something without waiting?
This creates a slippery slope in the ethics dept. that I would rather not have to think about.
out of curiosity - what do you do for a living?
Old 07-20-10, 11:49 AM
he said member

Originally Posted by AngryScientist
out of curiosity - what do you do for a living?
Restraunt service and maintenance. Carpenter by trade.
Old 07-20-10, 11:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RUOkie
If you take care of someone, they will take care of you. Not necessarily now, but they will remember you. I asked this same question last year after I broke my Rival brifter. I took it into my LBS, ordered the part (they are only sold in pairs), and he charged me HIS COST for the part, and $25 labor! I told him that he didn't charge me enough. (I had not purchased the bike there either). I brought him 2 6-packs of microbrew and a tupperware of choc chip cookies that my wife and I baked.

6 months later when we were looking for a bike for my wife, I called him up. He searched for 4 weeks to find us a mildly distressed Specialized which ended up saving us $$. He said, "You brought us cookies and beer, we'll always remember you!). Now he has a loyal customer, and I have a good relationship with somone I NEED to have a good relationship with. Everyone wins.
This is all well and good, but from a management perspective, a business should be doing things like this for you anyway. Their job, the purpose of business, is to create and keep a customer. A LBS should always be falling all over themselves to meet your unique needs because that is what they do, that is their place in the market.

Giving you a discount is nice, but that is all part and parcel to the "keep a customer" part. The research all says, it's far more profitable to spend money turning customers who are just "OK" into those who are apostles for your business than it is to spend money trying to satisfy the dissatisfied, or to unearth new customers.

This kind of stuff, any business owner should be telling his people to do for everyone.

The culture depends on the expectation that this is what you get from a LBS, not that this is above and beyond.

JMO
Old 07-20-10, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
All of the bike shops I've been to are full of kids and/or apathetic weirdos. Threads like this make me wish I knew one worth bringing beer to.
Old 07-20-10, 11:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a consumer I shouldnt have to buy access or even rent it. If his extra fin is more important than a repeat customer then I guess you will get what you want.
This is a good point. It's obviously not profitable to alienate potential customer relationships in favor of existing ones, when the benefit is negligible, such as if it can only be measured in food or drink.
Old 07-20-10, 12:07 PM
Ride on!

Bikes: 2013 TARMAC Expert, 2011 specialized roubaix SL3, 2012 Raleigh Rush hour FIXIE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hell no! Tips are for people who make less than the min. wage. If you dont make enough money ask for a raise. I frggin' hate this practice. starbucks, subway. now the lbs. bs. a pizza, dohnuts, thats different but soliciting cash? crap.
totaly agree, I TIP waiting staff at resturants or bar keeps...no Valets for me either I can WALK!
Old 07-20-10, 12:17 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Fuji Team 09, Schwinn Paramount 91, Fuji Discovery 90's

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been tipped before and It is really nice but I don't expect it. If I were a customer I would consider it if I felt they were doing their job well. We don't expect it so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 07-20-10, 12:21 PM
he said member

Originally Posted by Cactuskid
totaly agree, I TIP waiting staff at resturants or bar keeps...no Valets for me either I can WALK!
I got an even worse one for you. I travel for work alot. At Metro Air port the shuttle bus drivers have a plexi glass box bolted to a stantion thats only purpose is to hold this box for tips. They are forbiden to help with luggage, or loading. They dont even get out of thier seats. What am I supposed to be tipping for? They are already paid to drive the bus, hey dont do anything else. What? They want a tip for not killing me in a firey crash?
Old 07-20-10, 12:24 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: 2011 Litespeed M1 (Rival)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To those who tip the mechanics at their LBS. Do you also tip your auto mechanics? HVAC techs? Phone or cable techs? Handyman? Plumber?

If not, why not? These guys are basically doing the same thing as the bike mechanics.
Old 07-20-10, 12:27 PM
Slow but determined

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the greatest LBS out there I swear. Last time I bought a new bike from them they had it built up very quickly, like 24 hours. At the time I felt compelled to give the guy who did all the work a little something. There is a Subway sandwich shop next door so I got him a $30 gift certificate. I also do competitive BBQ and my brisket and pulled pork is really good. I drop off samples for the shop every so often.

All of this isn't necessary but I guarantee you I get my work done quickly and right.
Old 07-20-10, 12:47 PM
Slow but determined

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir Real
To those who tip the mechanics at their LBS. Do you also tip your auto mechanics? HVAC techs? Phone or cable techs? Handyman? Plumber?

If not, why not? These guys are basically doing the same thing as the bike mechanics.
True, but my bike (and the optimal performance of the bike) is much more important to me than my car, or HVAC. That being said, I've given my auto mechanic beer before. Heck, I've even left beer for the trash collectors during the holiday season.
Old 07-20-10, 12:47 PM
Scarlet Knight

Bikes: 2009 ORBEA Onix Rival. 2012 Felt Breed, 1999 Raleigh 500

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts

Yeah, sometimes. Again, not necessarily with $, usually I just do something nice for them. And for the record, I also buy my postal carrier, UPS, and FedEx delivery people Christmas gifts each year (I have a small business). We treat them like we value what they do for us, and in return, they value us (my postal carrier will deliver packages to my home on weekends when they are addressed to the office).
Old 07-20-10, 12:57 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mulveyr
Indeed. On a related note, I HATE it when I'm standing at the counter of a business, engaging in some sort of transaction, and then the clerk goes off to answer a ringing phone. Sorry, if you're in business, you should have an answering machine. Unless I've already paid and am waiting for change, doing that is a guaranteed way to make me turn around and leave. It boggles my mind that people in business will do that.
Same here. Telephones have to be the single worst thing in small retail. I used to work at a small computer shop and we had the same problem: "Answer the phone always" they'd say. I ignored lots of phone calls because, to me, this guy in front of me is here the guy on the phone probably wants to know if we have $3 ethernet cards and is too lazy to come see.

People were constantly calling to ask when you're open. They would rarely follow that up with a visit.
Old 07-20-10, 12:59 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Plumber and handyman own their own business. Bike mechanics often don't. See the difference?

I was told the general rule is: If the person being tipped sets the price no tip is necessary (so your barber doesn't get one, but your stylist does).

Anyway, there's also an issue of priority. You might tip your bike mechanic and not the auto mechanic because your bike mechanic is more important to you.
Old 07-20-10, 01:12 PM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
I'm friends with one of the mechanics for team jelly belly. We both live in the same small town. I know what bar he hangs out in and what his favorite drink is.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-20-10, 01:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If someone does right by you take care of them. I take care of my usual UPS guy because he leaves cases of wine at my house without me signing (totally against UPS policy, but he told me that and we have an agreement) so I take care of him at the end of the year (he's risking his job for me - kind of worth something?). It makes my life less complicated and saves my wine another hot day in the brown truck. If your bike shop goes out of their way to treat you right return the favor. You know "Return the favor - Give a little back" (Great line in the movie "I Love You Man"). But if they aren't doing you a favor why should you give them a gift in return? "Here you go have some more money for doing the job you already are getting paid for." Please.....
I want to spit every time I see a tip jar in a place it doesn't belong. F Starbucks, F Dunkin Donuts, F most places nowadays......
Old 07-20-10, 01:25 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I tipped a guy $10 for readjusting the BB that was replaced on my bike free under warranty about 2 weeks earlier. Then I tipped a guy $25 for a $50 component swap on my frame. Both jobs turned out to be crap so I stopped!

I have one dude that does good quality work everytime so I go to him (Mark Hebert at Comp Edge in Rancho for the locals/ tell him Mr Beanz sent ya!). He does the job right and I tip him. So my tips are geared towards the indvidual not according to shop!
Old 07-20-10, 01:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS charged me $3.00 for a pedal washer........10 cents for the washer and 2.90 for a built in tip
Old 07-20-10, 02:00 PM
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I'm friends with one of the mechanics for team jelly belly. We both live in the same small town. I know what bar he hangs out in and what his favorite drink is.
Sweet. Tell him I'll buy him some beer if he f's with Friedman's setup. Better yet have him tell Friedman that he's heard of these great new wheels that he should try. Long story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.