Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ouch!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-18, 09:08 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
This is the fact of dockless bike shares. It is large companies who don't care about anything dumping trash onto our streets expecting us to clean it up for them. Melt them down into cannonballs and fire them at OFO, LimeBike Mobike and all the other dockless bikeshare headquarters.
I thought you were an advocate of getting along, not fighting and understanding each other?
Old 03-26-18, 09:08 PM

Bikes: 1970? Dawes Galaxy (cannibalized), 197? Bob Jackson Frankenbike, 1989 Jamis Diablo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Coming soon to a neighborhood near you!

LimeBikes are littering the streets of Alameda, turning previously decent folks into bonifide bike haters. The butt ugly lime colored pieces of cycling trash are nothing more than an eye sore, and are laying around the community like so many empty Starbucks cups.

Dock less bike sharing should be illegal.

-Kedosto
Greetings from the peninsula! I see these at Caltrain Stations over here. So folks can just dump them wherever?
Old 03-27-18, 01:17 PM
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by RunningPirate
Greetings from the peninsula! I see these at Caltrain Stations over here. So folks can just dump them wherever?
Dump 'em where they want. A woman I know lives on a corner and has had as many as three LimeBikes ditched on her lawn at the same time. She lives close to South Shore in Alameda and the bikes are being ditched in the neighborhoods surrounding the mall and the shoreline. I've seen the bikes as far away as the Fruitvale/High Street area of Oakland.

Imagine how you'd feel if you came home from work one day and saw three bikes lying on your lawn. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be feeling too warm and fuzzy towards bikes or cyclists in general.

As so many other things in life, it only takes a few bad actors to ruin it for the bunch. Unfortunately, WE are part of that bunch when it comes to bike sharing -- whether we agree to it or not. Docked sharing (station-to-station) is FAR more responsible and I support that type of sharing. Dockless can die.

-Kedosto
Old 03-27-18, 07:09 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4499 Post(s)
Liked 4,186 Times in 2,802 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I thought you were an advocate of getting along, not fighting and understanding each other?
Not always. I am perfectly fine melting down those dockless bike shaped objects into cannonballs and launching them at their buildings. I don't really want anyone to die or anything but just a few warning shots, swiss cheese up the building a little bit and maybe make them pull out and stop the madness.

I am not really hippy dippy and peace and love sort of thing. I mean yes we should all get along but if they're an azzhole, they can always go fornicate with themselves.

I do like the song Why Can't We Be Friends by WAR but I also am allowed to have deep visceral hatred in my heart for certain people and ideals
Old 03-28-18, 02:01 PM
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Here's a timely article. Seems BART is not so happy with the situation either.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/...t-at-stations/

-Kedosto
Old 03-28-18, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not sure about other countries or even other states, but at least in Texas this will never work. 1) These companies flood the area with way too many bikes, and 2) people in the area are just too big of jerks to actually handle it responsibly. Go look at our grocery cart return rate if you want more evidence.

I have no idea how much these bikes are worth in scrap, but if it's anything, I am not sure what's stopping someone from just loading up by the truckloads. In Dallas, they are everywhere and no one would bat an eye if they saw someone hauling them off in trucks. They would probably thank them.
Old 03-28-18, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
China- a place where bikes are as free and plentiful as water.
Sounds like a great idea. Now just reduce pollution.
Old 03-29-18, 11:04 AM

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
wow talk about overproducing.

I hope they don't have as many guns laying around.
Old 03-29-19, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@ibryan test
Old 03-29-19, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 26 Posts
That is crazy!
Old 03-29-19, 11:47 AM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
yeah...IB staff should make test posts in the correct places.
Old 03-29-19, 12:14 PM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I am not part of the problem. All of my bikes are either spayed or neutered. I don't allow them to breed willy-nilly...