Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How do you keep your steel rust free?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How do you keep your steel rust free?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-12, 07:22 PM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by lungimsam
Just wondering how you all deal with it when you get rained on. How do you treat the bike afterwards to minimize it getting rusty.

Do you give it a full detail job, or just give it a couple bounces to knock the water off and oil the pivot points?
I just ignore it. Really.
Old 05-04-12, 08:26 PM
just ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
I just ignore it. Really.
+1 Don't sweat a little rust. Shows that the bike is a utilitarian bike and not some house kept show piece.
Old 05-04-12, 08:38 PM

Bikes: 2015 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andy_K
This is a picture of a ship that has been on the Oregon coast for about 100 years.

Seeing the kind of damage that rust can do, I've resolved never to leave my bike exposed to daily soakings of salt water for 100 years. At least not without applying some kind of frame saver.

I leave my bikes out in the rain when I'm at work. I hang them up wet in the garage. I didn't use frame saver. Once every week or two I brush off the excess grime. When the chain starts to make noise I clean the drivetrain and lube the chain.
Ha! : )
You are so right. I'm going down to the beach right now to get my steel bike I left parked in the waves. Duh. What was I thinking?!
Old 05-04-12, 08:58 PM
just ride

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clawhammer72
Ha! : )
You are so right. I'm going down to the beach right now to get my steel bike I left parked in the waves. Duh. What was I thinking?!
I feel your pain. 99 years ago I parked my bike under Madam Marie's. Now there's hardly anything left of it.

Last edited by bubbagrannygear; 05-04-12 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-04-12, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MichaelW
coated all exposed cables and bolt heads with wax.
Bike was rust-free after 2 years.
What kind of wax was this? I have been looking for a way to keep the bolt heads from getting rusty.
Old 05-04-12, 09:32 PM
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wasn't there a cyclocross bike where the maker had purposefully rusted the frame for looks. I will try to find it.

https://www.cycleexif.com/sycip-cross-dresser-2

There is another, way more rusted one out there..hang on,
Old 05-05-12, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a '91 steel mountain bike that I bought new, used hard and put away dirty for quite a while. Even stored it outside for at least a year when I didn't have storage inside. It still looks great today, 21 years later. You can see it in the "90's mountain bike thread"...first post.

Also have a steel Bianchi San Jose that I've done nothing special with. Just ride and put away.

Take my anecdotal experience for what it's worth.
Old 05-05-12, 10:24 AM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by megalowmatt
I have a '91 steel mountain bike that I bought new, used hard and put away dirty for quite a while. Even stored it outside for at least a year when I didn't have storage inside. It still looks great today, 21 years later.
Mostly agree with you, except that my winter bike, which goes through road salt, has a few minor paint chips that will show a faint sign of rust forming. This bike is 7 years old and has seen 7 winters.

To deal with it, I do 15 minutes of annual maintenance. Use steel wool on the rust spot (careful not to sand the nearby paint.) Then put clear nail polish over the bare metal. You can use colored nail polish as a touch up paint. It's surprising too how long it lasts. The only problem is getting an exact color match. When that's not possible, clear polish seems like a good alternative.
Old 05-05-12, 10:29 AM
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Funny thing is......I own a multiple titanium and carbon bikes but my everyday commuter is a steel bike that I ride in the either rain or snow.
Old 05-05-12, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Mostly agree with you, except that my winter bike, which goes through road salt, has a few minor paint chips that will show a faint sign of rust forming. This bike is 7 years old and has seen 7 winters.

To deal with it, I do 15 minutes of annual maintenance. Use steel wool on the rust spot (careful not to sand the nearby paint.) Then put clear nail polish over the bare metal. You can use colored nail polish as a touch up paint. It's surprising too how long it lasts. The only problem is getting an exact color match. When that's not possible, clear polish seems like a good alternative.
You make a good point about the salt. That's something I don't experience where I live.
Old 05-05-12, 11:03 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 98 Posts
If a person would not consider a steel bike because they have this notion that a little water will hurt them I feel bad for them because they may be missing out.

My daily rides have been exposed to some really nasty weather and although we don;t get as much rain as some places we get our fair share and winter lasts for 6 months where the rides can be snowy, wet, icy, or a mix of all three and then there is all that road salt and sand.

This was my commuter and after 4 seasons of abusing it I figured it was too nice a bike for that and use it as my dedicated commuter... with steel bikes I put a little light oil on a rag and wipe them down when they are clean and also apply this to the exposed cables and bolts.

I touched up the rear stays as they had a bunch of scratches and that was some years ago.

The coating is so light you can run a finger over the frame and not get dirty but is more than enough to make the bike shed water like a duck.

I also use turtle wax on some bikes that see less frequent use and may see a little bit of rain from time to time... the bikes that get used constantly also get wiped down regularly.
Old 05-05-12, 11:32 AM
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
I let mine drip-dry overnight. The drivetrain gets a wipe down after repeated rain rides and I re-lube when the drivetrain starts making noise. I've been out riding in the rain nearly 200 times in the last three years (I bike you commute full-time in the Pacific Northwest, you learn to ride in the rain) and my bike has no rust on it. Contrary to BF mythology, riding your bike in the rain will not eat your derailluer, ruin your chain and rust your frame. Or maybe I am just lucky.
Old 05-05-12, 12:02 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I have a 35 year old Schwinn Traveler that has been rained on, ridden in Minnesota winters, carried in river crossings, and just generally abused. Has minor rust and is still getting a fair amount of use.

So I fail to see much of an issue for rust on the frame.
Old 05-08-12, 08:08 PM

Bikes: 2014 Velo-Orange Polyvalent, 1987 Trek Cirrus (520) with xtracycle free radical, 1987 Miyata 112, 2007 Dahon Speed D7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I have just ridden home in the rain, the last thing I am worried about is drying off my bike! I'm headed straight for the shower. Plus, if my 25 year old steel road bike rusts out, that's an excellent reason to get a new bike! Alas, it would seem that I am years away from that eventuality...
Old 05-08-12, 08:18 PM
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Salt corrodes exposed steel. Framesaver on the inside and wipe down the unpainted exposed parts and your frame will be fine.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 05-08-12, 09:00 PM

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One more vote for "don't worry about it." My 1984 Schwinn was used plenty in the rain, and it only has light surface rust where the paint is chipped. Most of those chips are decades old. The only thing I really did was make sure it was always put away in a dry place, plus cleaning and lubing the chain when it started to get noisy.
Old 05-08-12, 09:19 PM
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
If I ride one wet, I wipe it down after takes less then a minute. I keep my chains lubed, and cables are consumables anyhow.. the tempo frameset I just got though, got put away wet a lot, it's taking sanding it to bare and cleaning up then paint up to correct.
Old 05-08-12, 09:46 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
Salt corrodes exposed steel. Framesaver on the inside and wipe down the unpainted exposed parts and your frame will be fine.
I've put framesaver on several of my current bikes. It's cheap insurance, although it smells like crap.

I notice though after working on many old bikes from the 70s, very few of them have any sign of rust internally. Seems like if you keep them indoors... at least in the Midwest climate... they last pretty much indefinitely.

I would consider it for a bike that saw a lot of winter action though.
Old 05-08-12, 11:49 PM

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
my beater bike is a scratched/steel '97 gary fisher tassajara. i'm pretty sure it had a hard commuter life before i bought it.. it gets ridden ONLY in wet conditions. i bounce it a few times before i bring it in, mostly to keep the dirt off my carpet and then it drip dries. i occasionally wave a rag at it. after several years of this abuse, it is still as rust free as the day i bought it.
Old 05-09-12, 03:50 PM
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a low-middle range road bike (nakamura) to commute everyday and I don't care about it. I also have a 1984 bianchi fully restored and an old peugot also fully restored that I ride on sunny sunday afternoons and take really good care of.