Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike Flippers, resellers, do you warranty your work?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike Flippers, resellers, do you warranty your work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-15, 06:04 PM

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 236 Posts
Nope. I break it, you bought it.
Old 09-27-15, 06:07 PM

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 244 Posts
I have sold quite a few bikes and have never had anyone contact me with a problem. I completely go over every bike I sell. If someone had an issue with a bike I sold them I would stand behind it for a couple months and fix it if it wasn't abused.
Old 09-27-15, 07:16 PM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nope. This is craigslist. It worked when I sold it to you (I rode it, went through all the gears etc), encouraged the buyer to take a test ride, if they buy it whatever problems arise are their problems. I am not going to be responsible for fixing something I had no part it breaking.

I'll mention the co op if they find they are having any problems in the future.

If someone wants a warranty, they can go to a bike shop. I'm already selling them for an extremely reasonable and probably undervalued price
Old 09-27-15, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18425 Post(s)
Liked 4,544 Times in 3,376 Posts
Thanks for the comments.

I suppose anything I buy on Craigslist, I take it as it is. I just snagged a trailer today... that came with half a hitch . But, I also want anybody that buys something from me to be happy. So, we'll see. I don't want a headache that comes back once a week. But, I also don't want something I sell to disintegrate in a a week due to being used stuff, not my fault, not the theoretical buyer's fault.
Old 09-28-15, 11:48 AM

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 149 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQaavQNGsMY
Old 09-30-15, 07:55 AM

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by velomateo

Man, tough crowd....
Old 09-30-15, 08:34 AM
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 90 Posts
I'm not to the point of flipping bikes, but I used to flip used computers. Warranties never came up, but I tried my best to make a computer as fresh as possible going out the door, so there wouldn't be an issue...though a few people came back with virus problems that I cleaned up for them, but that had nothing to do with my initial work.

Whether I'd warrant a bike, it'd depend both on what sort of operation I had and on the bikes themselves...if I was just hobbyin' it, I don't think I would warrant the bike. If I was actually running a shop out of my garage, it'd be different. Also, if I was just making crappy old bikes rideable again, I wouldn't warrant the bike...if I was actually doing full rebuilds, I would.
Old 09-30-15, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 183 Posts
I always say "if you have any problems please let me know". It's not a warranty but I stand behind my work and have never had anyone take me up on it.
Old 09-30-15, 10:30 AM
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Thanks for the comments.

I suppose anything I buy on Craigslist, I take it as it is. I just snagged a trailer today... that came with half a hitch . But, I also want anybody that buys something from me to be happy. So, we'll see. I don't want a headache that comes back once a week. But, I also don't want something I sell to disintegrate in a a week due to being used stuff, not my fault, not the theoretical buyer's fault.
Be careful. The more you act like it is a business, then it is a business in the government's eyes, and you will own the liability whether you want it or not. If you are flipping bikes a few at a time, you probably just want to be known as a "very nice" guy spreading good will.

I flipped bikes while I was unemployed and occasionally since. I think a "typical" Craigslist buyer doesn't believe any warranty is implied. I basically gave every bike I flipped a better than LBS tune up so no one would ever come back and say such in such didn't work. Largely that has served me well. I do know guys that don't do a good tune and flip at a greater rate, and they have a much higher rate of secondary "interactions" with buyers that were dissatisfied. I always said that if you have any problems or questions, then get in touch. But if they wanted a full bike shop experience from some dude's garage then they really need a bike shop to deal with.

I did have one bike that had it's bottom bracket unthread (very iffy that it naturally happened) come back from the new owner saying that I needed to pay for it. I said that there is no way I made the error, but if he was willing to purchase the components, then I was willing to do the work. He was happy with that and we moved on. That is only time in 50+ sold bikes I had ever had an issue.

The way I see it they are looking for a deal. Something that is better than a BSO from Walmart, but not the cost of something new from a LBS, the flipper basically lives in that middle ground. If they press you for something more than that, like a warranty, then the response is that is why bike stores exists.