Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cross Country Ride Stats and Summary

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cross Country Ride Stats and Summary

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-16, 11:34 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3940 Post(s)
Liked 4,937 Times in 2,276 Posts
I'm not a data collector, but the overall feat of fast solo cross country is amazing to me.

I remember years ago the threads of a 50+ guy riding a 'fast cross country' tour with a dozen or so others (southern route), and that was amazing. They had the advantage of pacelines and group camaraderie. Another rider died on that trip - heart attack, if memory serves. But solo riding and keeping it going for 6 weeks is huge.
Old 10-07-16, 03:05 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I remember that well. The rider was willdehne. He prepared largely by spending hours on the trainer which is a feat unto itself. I think the group he was with was ABB (America By Bike) and they rode at least 100 miles a day. I also think he might have ridden Cross Country with them on a previous tour on the 60 day version but I could be mistaken there?? He was also one of the riders that attended the first 50+ Ride in Glenwood Springs, Co. I remember corresponding with him after the fast XC ride and he mentioned he was glad he had done the fast version but would not recommend it as a way of doing a cross country ride...in my interpretation "it was more work than fun". He was very good at setting challenging goals and achieving them.
Old 10-07-16, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I'm not a data collector, but the overall feat of fast solo cross country is amazing to me.

I remember years ago the threads of a 50+ guy riding a 'fast cross country' tour with a dozen or so others (southern route), and that was amazing. They had the advantage of pacelines and group camaraderie. Another rider died on that trip - heart attack, if memory serves. But solo riding and keeping it going for 6 weeks is huge.
Look up Arvid Loewen at:Grandpas Can! | Everyone can make a difference, Even Grandpas can! This guy is a seriously tough 59 years old.

Last edited by Doug64; 10-07-16 at 11:47 PM.