Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

New Guy - Looking for some advice

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

New Guy - Looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-15, 05:08 PM

Bikes: SE Lager Fixed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another newbie here....

If I was spending 'real money' on a new bike, it would be the Wabi.
I've been avoiding spending 'mid money' and got a used SE and am building a cheap run-around-grocery bike now.
Old 01-14-15, 09:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are a few models that are just out of the range of what I would like to spend that I could definitely afford but I also want to ensure I'm going to enjoy this sport as much as I hope to. I figured whatever I buy now should get me through a year or two of real riding before I make any serious investment into cycling. By the time I'm ready to do that I'll know exactly what I am after and I'll feel confident dropping some cash on a better setup. I will have also hopefully acquired all the odds and ends that I need beyond the bike itself by then. Ie. Helmet, pumps, tools etc. I'm really interested in getting something that will make my experience enjoyable and in something that will remain reliable. So far everything you guys have said has really helped me narrow this down a bit more! While I am sure I would love a Wabi, I also probably won't appreciate why it is so nice at this stage anyhow so a marginal improvement over other bikes for the price isn't quite worth it for me at this time.

That might sound sort of silly but I hope that makes sense.
Old 01-14-15, 11:49 PM

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Z3BR4
What do you guys think of this deal? This frame has clearance for up to 700x35c according to fyxation's website. This bike appears to be brand new and comes with an extra crank (used) and the original unused.

Fyxation Eastside Fixed Gear Fixie Bicycle Fixie Commuter Messenger Bike | eBay
So this auction ended. Did you buy it?
Old 01-15-15, 07:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I did indeed buy it. Don't shoot me, I realize that seemed quick but I had been watching the auction since it started and I've been researching like mad for over a month on different models. After you guys answered the questions here I feel that the bike fit the bill. I made sure that it was the right size based on my measurements in the fit calculator before proceeding. After speaking with the seller back and forth throughout the day I haggled him down to $345 which I felt was a good deal.

The bike is brand new, he forwarded me the receipt. It comes with the following, on top of original crankset, headset, tires (and tubes) and two sets of brakes.

Panaracer 700x35c Urban
Bontrager sport crankset, used for a short time on another bike.
FSA Orbit-x sealed headset

From reading, the headset and crankset were two items many reviewers said would be worth upgrading and it appears he did those things. With all parts or "upgrades" included and shipping.. I paid $390. Considering this bike retails for $500-595 I felt it was worth it. I plan to review the construction of the bike, and piece it together as best I can just to familiarize myself with it more then I'll take it down to the bike shop to let them sort the rest out and make sure everything is in order. Hopefully I can stick around while do what they need to do so I can ask a few questions.

Maybe I made a big mistake here, but with the auction ending in less than 24 hours I thought that the value was there.
Old 01-15-15, 08:42 AM
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 432 Posts
Congratulations ! I think you made the right decision and gave it a lot of thought. You are probably the most rational newbie in the history of the SSFG forum. Make sure to post pics of the bike in the 2015 SSFG thread when you get it put back together.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 01-15-15, 10:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be sure to post it up, it should arrive sometime next week!
Old 01-15-15, 11:24 AM

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. I paid more than that for my BigShot (don't shoot me, I didn't know they were garbage) and ended up replacing almost everything but the seatpost collar and headset. Enjoy the bike, ride the hell out of it, and post pictures when you get it.
Old 01-15-15, 12:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Congrats on the purchase. I paid more than that for my BigShot (don't shoot me, I didn't know they were garbage) and ended up replacing almost everything but the seatpost collar and headset. Enjoy the bike, ride the hell out of it, and post pictures when you get it.
Thanks! I plan to ride the hell out of it!
Old 01-17-15, 07:36 PM

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Oops, just read you bought the Eastside. Oh well, below was my two cents...

I own a Fyxation Eastside. I bought it as a complete bike with delusion that I'd have it as a "beater" bike, and never upgrade the components until they either fell apart or got stolen. However, after the first ride I had to change the wheels and crankset. Despite my original resolve to not replace anything, they were so bad I just had to, or else I'd never ride the bike because I was hating it. The wheels weigh about 3.5 lbs each, and the crankset is about as stiff as an aluminum pie plate. So if you're still thinking about the Eastside, be prepared to replace at least the wheels and the crankset.
Old 01-17-15, 09:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well it already has a bontrager crankset installed and a new set of wider tires, but stock wheels. Being that I am a complete amateur when it comes to cycling, I doubt I will notice nuances such as stiffness without knowing anything different than the first bike I ride. This will be a learning experience for me on top of the sport/hobby itself. The one thing I feel confident in is that the frame set is a decent one. The wheels and other parts can always be upgraded in time.
Old 01-17-15, 09:55 PM
Veteran Racer

You'll be fine. At your weight you'll hardly notice the weight of those wheels.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 01-18-15, 11:48 AM

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Well it already has a bontrager crankset installed and a new set of wider tires, but stock wheels. Being that I am a complete amateur when it comes to cycling, I doubt I will notice nuances such as stiffness without knowing anything different than the first bike I ride. This will be a learning experience for me on top of the sport/hobby itself. The one thing I feel confident in is that the frame set is a decent one. The wheels and other parts can always be upgraded in time.
For the price, the Eastside is a great bike. Sure, you may want to upgrade parts over time, but the frame is solid, albeit a bit heavy (ok, maybe I've gotten too used to my Vigorelli), and the ride is certainly smooth. For me, I just wanted something I could ride in the rain and lock up in the city, without worrying. For that, it's great. Then again...maybe I should have gotten a Kilo TT
Old 01-19-15, 11:56 AM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Z3BR4, congrats on the bike purchase and welcome to Bike Forums!

Here's a great source of bicycle info. that should be helpful reading: Articles by Sheldon Brown and Others

singlespeed info: Singlespeed Bicycle Conversions

fixed gear info: Fixed Gear Bicycles for the Road

There's also the "Ask Scrod" thread.
Old 01-19-15, 12:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
Z3BR4, congrats on the bike purchase and welcome to Bike Forums!

Here's a great source of bicycle info. that should be helpful reading: Articles by Sheldon Brown and Others

singlespeed info: Singlespeed Bicycle Conversions

fixed gear info: Fixed Gear Bicycles for the Road

There's also the "Ask Scrod" thread.

Thanks! Already checked out the Sheldon Brown website before, but I'll probably reread it several times and reference it frequently. I'll check those other links out too.
Old 01-19-15, 12:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see that Sheldon strongly recommends starting with fixed gear if you aren't already accustomed to a freewheel. My goal was to eventually work into fixed gear thinking that it would be easier to transition once I had the basics down on a single speed.. Maybe I should start with a fixed gear and front brakes that way there is no "transition" from a freewheel?
Old 01-19-15, 12:45 PM
Veteran Racer

I see that Sheldon strongly recommends starting with fixed gear if you aren't already accustomed to a freewheel. My goal was to eventually work into fixed gear thinking that it would be easier to transition once I had the basics down on a single speed.. Maybe I should start with a fixed gear and front brakes that way there is no "transition" from a freewheel?
You are already riding a freewheel setup on your geared bike, so you are already used to it. Just leave both brakes on the bike, install a fixed gear cog + lockring on the flip side of your hub, and experiment with both setups.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 01-19-15, 12:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a geared bike though, I'm literally new to cycling aside from biking as a kid and teen.. It's probably been about 10 - 12 years since I've actually ridden something more than a couple hundred yards lol.. I'm 27 btw.
Old 01-19-15, 12:58 PM
Veteran Racer

I don't have a geared bike though, I'm literally new to cycling aside from biking as a kid and teen.. It's probably been about 10 - 12 years since I've actually ridden something more than a couple hundred yards lol.. I'm 27 btw.
Well, I'd still recommend starting out with a singlespeed w/o foot retention until you get comfortable riding the bike, using the brakes, and mounting / dismounting before trying fixed. To do fixed you will need pedals with foot retention, which can take getting used to and back pedalling for slowing down.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 01-19-15, 01:00 PM

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Schwinn Madison

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I started out with a freewheel too and after some days decided to just flip it and ride fixed instead. It wasn't bad, it felt tiring at first but that was it. As Tejano said, leave both brakes on it, I did on mine at first and noticed that I don't even use it. I don't skid or anything like that, I just slow down before a stop. You don't have to remove your brakes like I did, do whatever makes you feel safe on the road.
Old 01-19-15, 01:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you guys, makes sense. Just conflicting theories on how to approach it all so I was confused myself. I'll stick with my original plan of starting with single speed then!
Old 01-19-15, 01:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you ride SS first and then switch to Fixed... be careful. lol. I don't know if I'm dumb but my SS muscle memory was insane. I rode SS for 2 1/2 years and then switched to fixed. First day I rode fixed, I was pedaling super fast on this long and straight flat road. Once I got my speed I went to relax and coast because I had forgotten I was fixed. Wam, my legs went flying every which way and I was skidding across the asphalt until i was abruptly stopped by a parked car. My worst fall ever. Steel frame was bent. Had road rash on my arm, leg, and side. The car was all dented where I hit. Anyways, I limped home feeling dumber than dumb.

Needless to say, every day I rode after that, I kept repeating in my head "I'm fixed, I'm fixed", so I would remember to keep pedaling.

Muscle memory is a crazy thing. I've been riding fixed now for a little over a year and all is good. Muscle memory is now used to constant pedaling. In fact, it is super weird and awkward when I ride a SS now.
Old 04-29-15, 08:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So guys, I know it's been awhile.. But as the weather has finally broke here in Ohio I've been able to ride my bike a few times I've been riding it around town for some hour long rides and I took it to our local bike trail once (which is beautiful and well maintained) and I recently finished a 25 mile loop on some back country roads. Everyday I come home, I hope the weather will be warm enough/clear enough for me to ride. I don't dread it like going to the gym on some days.

The verdict on the bike... I love it! I'm very happy with my decision on the Fyxation Eastside and taking up cycling in general. I am currently riding it Fixed and having no problems. I bought a pair of YNOT pedal straps and a new seat as my sit bones were a little too wide for the Fyxation seat that it came with, both of which should arrive this week. After my 25 mile ride I realized my fit wasn't quite right, so I did some reading and I used the 109% rule and raised my seat and adjusted it back slightly using the plumb bob method. I can't really compare the performance of this bike to others since I really have no experience, but truthfully it has felt great to me. I had some lower back pain after the 25 mile ride, but I think this was due to my seat being FAR too low and the upright position it was causing me to ride in. I am riding fixed, but I'm also running both brakes. I don't see any reason to remove them really. Besides that, I've been milking it without pedal straps on these first few rides and having those brakes as a safety net is good.

Component wise, there were some people mentioning originally that the wheels were heavy etc.. I really don't notice this as I'm a heavy rider. A lighter bike might feel too tingy/squishy for me, I'm not sure though. I do think I'll replace this Bontrager Sport crank it came with before long though. It was a little more beat up than I had thought it would be. Not in terrible condition, but I also know there are better options for this bike out there. I opted to ride the 28C "Accela" tires that came mounted and I have had no issues thus far. The other set of 35C's may get mounted in the future, but I see no reason for this at the moment.

Here is a picture from my 25 mile ride. Note the seat height is slammed, due in part to me not realizing my fit was off and also because I just wasn't comfortable at first riding with the elevated seat. I'll get some pictures with the new seat and pedal straps when they arrive!

Old 04-29-15, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
glad you're riding.. that's all that matters.

you won't be heavy for long.
Old 04-29-15, 07:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as Cranksets go... I've read that Andel's are pretty good bang for the buck. I'd like to go with something 46t and 165mm. These bontragers are 175mm which I don't really like but they feel much sturdier while pedaling than the stock fyxations this came with (which are 165mm).

Any suggestions on a good crankset for like $100 or less? Or is it worth just spending a bit more to get something like an Sram 300 or Sugino RD2/Sugino Messenger?
Old 04-29-15, 07:13 PM

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Schwinn Madison

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
can you post a close up pic of your crankset? theres something off about your chainring

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.