Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wind noise?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wind noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-20, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I have a fairly in-depth knowledge of sound levels and hearing loss. I’m fully capable of determining appropriate sound levels for me. I would assume others are as well. My earpieces do a good job of blocking wind noise so I don’t need to compensate by turning the volume up. The same goes for breathing heavily.

Whether a car is approaching or not, I do the same thing. I try to hold a straight line. Do others really ride on the road looking back to see where each approaching car is? I trust that they see me and my blinking taillight and that they don’t want to hit me. If they want to hit me, I’m not going to be able to out maneuver a car. That leaves distracted driving. Do others really look at each approaching car and wonder if they’re going to try to jump the curb to avoid it? Maybe the drivers here are particularly respectful. If I thought I had to be aware of every single passing car in order to survive, I’d just ride the trainer at home.

The comment about not getting passed was humor. Even so, in about 65-70 hours of riding per month I get passed by one or two other riders per month. There just aren’t that many riders out when I’m riding. But there again, is passing another rider so dangerous? I just ride in a straight line, if another rider passes me, I trust him to do so safely.
I will typically drift out a bit into the traffic lane, gauge the drivers attentiveness, and then move as far right as possible. It's also good to know if a car is approaching in-case I have to avoid shoulder debris, so I don't end up swerving into said vehicle.

Also, nobody has a decibel meter in their head, and your sensitivity to sound changes depending on how loud your environment is. As someone with hearing damage and loud tinnitus, I know this all to well.

And I thought that might be a joke, I need to loosen up a bit. Weird times.
Old 04-18-20, 06:54 AM

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
I get over as far right as possible... It's simple.

Also, operating a metal cage in the traffic lane and riding a bike on the shoulder are apples and oranges.

But to answer your question, I listen to music at a reasonable volume, it is never too loud to hear horns or sirens.
I'm already as far right as possible, for courtesy, in case a cyclist needs to pass.

When I drive I use the same basic principles as when I ride and despite being in a "metal cage" I still try not to be cavalier in my way of driving.

I listen to earbud music while riding my bike and still able to gear horns and sirens too.

I'm not trying to convince anyone my way should be their way. And I can understand the reason some feel riding with earbuds will make them feel less safe. I think most who don't ride with earbuds have tried it. You can't hear anything and it can be overwhelming. You are double careful when crossing a street, you look left then right then left again then right again then while crossing left again. You feel like you have to be extra vigilant because one of your senses is gone. Well that would be a good argument as to why I believe riding with earbuds may actually make you more attentive and a safer cyclist.
We're not idiots because we wear earbuds, just music lovers or podcast listeners or different language learners and would rather hear listen to that than hear Wind Noise. Just as those who don't wear earbuds are NOT frightened, or scared to wear them.

Last edited by texaspandj; 04-18-20 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-18-20, 03:59 PM

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
I'm already as far right as possible, for courtesy, in case a cyclist needs to pass.
Yeah, until you'll notice some obstacle and suddenly swerve left. But of course there will be never ever another bike or motor vehicle right behind you at this moment that will hit you. And then, possibly, go to hospital or jail because of you. Because you are so special!

Riding with both ears closed puts not only rider in danger but others as well. IMHO it should be strictly illegal and I'll not be surprised if it already is (e.g. driving with headphones is illegal in many places). If you want to listen to the music, answer phone calls etc. then just use something like Aftershokz Aeropex.

We're not idiots because we wear earbuds
I beg to differ.
Old 04-18-20, 04:35 PM

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Oso Polar
Yeah, until you'll notice some obstacle and suddenly swerve left. But of course there will be never ever another bike or motor vehicle right behind you at this moment that will hit you. And then, possibly, go to hospital or jail because of you. Because you are so special!

Riding with both ears closed puts not only rider in danger but others as well. IMHO it should be strictly illegal and I'll not be surprised if it already is (e.g. driving with headphones is illegal in many places). If you want to listen to the music, answer phone calls etc. then just use something like Aftershokz Aeropex.

I beg to differ.
My apologies, I meant to post Not scared on my previous post. I've corrected it. I couldn't understand where your emotion was coming from. No need to get personal.
I post by a simple rule, I don't post anything I wouldn't say to you in your face. I think that's a good rule to go by.
Old 04-18-20, 11:41 PM

I couldn't understand where your emotion was coming from.
It is coming from first hand experience with cyclists who ride with in-ear headphones: How to ride on Multi-use paths (a rant)
Old 04-19-20, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 218 Posts

I beg to differ.
Cars are inherently and purposefully noise dampened. You need to open the door to have a conversation. Should they be illegal too? Its a weird double standard, imo.
Old 04-19-20, 12:52 AM

To start, cars on a road typically move at speeds close to each other - unlike bikes and cars at the same road. Then modern cars typically have way, way more and better accident prevention systems than a bike: several mirrors (usually 3), blind spot detection and rear cross-traffic alerts, rear/side cameras, automatic emergency braking etc. Cars have way better alerting systems as well - big bright lights and loud horns (which are very audible inside other noise dampened cars - unless, of course, driver wears headphones - which is illegal in many places). In case if an accident does happen cars are equipped with way better safety equipment: seat belts, air bags - not to mention passengers are protected by car body itself - which means that severity of injuries and probability of death in a car to car collision is typically way lower (compared to car hitting bike at the same speed). And then, after all, at typical car speeds wind and road noise without dampening will be actually so high, that you'll not be able to hear anything anyway - in fact you'll hear less "useful" noise compared to "silenced" car.
Old 04-19-20, 06:00 AM
Oooooooofffff SALESMAN!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The answer you are looking for is Cat Ears. Fuzzy sleeves you put over your helmet straps. Cats have the real thing; whiskers in their ears, All to reduce the turbulence in the air flow. Owls do the same with hair-like feathers on their wings. No, not so they can hear but to silence the airflow so their prey cannot hear them glide in.

No respectable cyclist would be caught dead using them but they do work. Google Cat Ears. Probably first hit. (Was on Duck Duck Go.) I've never used them but can only make that same excuse. This might get me off my duff.

Ben
I tried the cat ears and they don't work very well if you wear glasses. I also tried noise cancelling ear buds and they work a bit but there is still a loud whooshing sound.

I think I might try just regular ear plugs. What are some quiet helmets that don't cost a lot of money? I need name brand/model number. I know the way a helmet is built can make wind noise worse or better.
Old 04-19-20, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by The Big Wheel
I tried the cat ears and they don't work very well if you wear glasses. I also tried noise cancelling ear buds and they work a bit but there is still a loud whooshing sound.

I think I might try just regular ear plugs. What are some quiet helmets that don't cost a lot of money? I need name brand/model number. I know the way a helmet is built can make wind noise worse or better.
Testing helmets for wind noise should be standard, but often its not even mentioned. From my experience the only thing that helps without blocking the hearing is covering the ears with a thin skullcap. This reduces wind noise and lets your hear much better than without. Im sure that knowledge can be adapted to not winter riding.
Old 04-19-20, 07:05 AM

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 4,100 Times in 1,445 Posts

I beg to differ.
So, if a driver hits me and I’m wearing headphones, it’s MY fault? What if a rider is hearing impaired or completely without hearing? I suppose they shouldn’t be allowed to ride? It’s a driver’s legal requirement to pass safely. If they fail to do that, it would be THEIR fault, not mine. I will admit the result for me would be the same but I’m not going to lose any sleep worrying about the affect the accident had on the driver!

Swerve left? No, you swerve right (unless you’re in the U.K.)! Cars and faster cyclist should always pass on the left. I take the lane as I’m allowed to by law in my state. If something is in the road, I swerve to the right.

If I were to somehow know a car approaching from behind was going to hit me, I would without question make an attempt to jump the curb to avoid it. Here’s the question: HOW DO YOU MAGICALLY KNOW AN APPROACHING CAR IS GOING TO HIT YOU? Simply put, you don’t. And even if you did, it’s possible because of the speed differential, that you could not react quickly enough. So, am I supposed to swerve to the curb every time a car passes? That doesn’t make sense.

Riding a bicycle on the road is a matter of trust. I’m trusting that drivers don’t want to hit me. If I thought otherwise, I wouldn’t ride on the road. And I certainly wouldn’t think that riding without headphones or ear buds would make any difference whatsoever.

I don’t *recommend* folks ride with headsets. I figure others can determine for themselves what they should or should not do. If you’re going to insult people for wearing headsets, could you at least please provide some logical reasoning?