Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

“You leave your house...But you never know if you’ll be back.”

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

“You leave your house...But you never know if you’ll be back.”

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-18, 02:35 PM
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5
...They are not out to get me. They are going to work, just like me...
I don't believe any motorists are "out to get me". I quit all pleasure riding about three years ago when it became obvious that many motorists are no longer looking through their windscreen on a regular basis. Ironically, it happened while i was forced to drive a car for 6 months. In a car I could keep up with cars doing 30-50 mph and notice just HOW LONG they look at their phones each time. That was my wake-up call right there. Hell, I biked across the USA five times from 1988-1997. It was dangerous enough at times but I always suspected motorists were LOOKING at the road. Maybe drunk, maybe tuning a radio, messing with kids, but all in all LOOKING. Now...no way would I do that.

I do still cycle to work 5 miles each way. Much of my route these days are on new bike lanes and greenways. So it's still doable and I can save a lot of cash.

Sure, I ride with my head on a swivel, but it's not a war--it's just getting from one place to another.
A person can get "Combat Fatigue Syndrome" without joining the military. There are many ways to do it. No one has to be coming for you personally or on purpose for it to be effected.
Old 08-20-18, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18465 Post(s)
Liked 4,568 Times in 3,393 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
This is why I gun it on YELLOW.
I stop in the middle of the intersection if that magic red shuts off my bicycle.
Old 08-20-18, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I don't believe any motorists are "out to get me". I quit all pleasure riding about three years ago when it became obvious that many motorists are no longer looking through their windscreen on a regular basis. Ironically, it happened while i was forced to drive a car for 6 months. In a car I could keep up with cars doing 30-50 mph and notice just HOW LONG they look at their phones each time. That was my wake-up call right there. Hell, I biked across the USA five times from 1988-1997. It was dangerous enough at times but I always suspected motorists were LOOKING at the road. Maybe drunk, maybe tuning a radio, messing with kids, but all in all LOOKING. Now...no way would I do that.

I do still cycle to work 5 miles each way. Much of my route these days are on new bike lanes and greenways. So it's still doable and I can save a lot of cash.

A person can get "Combat Fatigue Syndrome" without joining the military. There are many ways to do it. No one has to be coming for you personally or on purpose for it to be effected.
Why in the world would you reference Combat Fatigue Syndrome?
Is voluntarily choosing to ride a bicycle on the road causing you to believe you have Combat Fatigue Syndrome?
Old 08-20-18, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLibrarian
It's dangerous enough walking in the city. I can't believe they rent citibikes to any old schlub and tourists. I doubt there's much legal responsibility to the bike share companies but maybe there should be
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Generally I get kudos or just indifference towards my cycling, mostly as a year-round commuter here in Metro Boston, even after my serious accident four years ago

One soft argument I read on Bikeforums is that cycling in traffic really does look dangerous to car drivers ensconced in their vehicles. Personally I feel pretty safe, well-lit, with unlimited vision with mirrors, and pretty nimble on my bike. Nonetheless, I’m totally attentive to the cars around me, and I have a number of safety aphorisms in my mind to keep me alert

Once though, I was standing on a busy intersection (Massachusetts and Commonwealth Aves) one Saturday night watching some happy-go-lucky student-type cyclists on Hubway Bike Share bikes, no helmets, riding along and laughing in traffic, and I thought to myself that really does look dangerous.
I have posted on several threads:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Frankly, I have posted that I would not be inclined to encourage, unless by example (nor discourage) someone to cycle-commute, but if they so chose, I would freely and gladly give any advice...

Public exhortations to cycle-commute, or utility cycle are well and good with no individual responsibility for bad outcomes, but I would not want the recriminations of a personal endorsement if something bad happened. Also, with regards to “recreational cycling,” actual organizing, promoting, or similar, may entail IMO a liability beyond a personal guilt trip if something goes wrong….

FWW, I’m not advocatin’ against, just sayin’

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-21-18 at 02:58 AM.
Old 08-20-18, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2538 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 537 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster

Is voluntarily choosing to ride a bicycle on the road causing you to believe you have Combat Fatigue Syndrome?
Apparently he hasn't ridden a bicycle on the road in 3 years, whatever that means. Maybe he has forgotten what it's really like ...
Old 08-20-18, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2538 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 537 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLibrarian
It's dangerous enough walking in the city. I can't believe they rent citibikes to any old schlub and tourists. I doubt there's much legal responsibility to the bike share companies but maybe there should be.
I can't believe they rent 4 ton Escalades to any old schlub and tourists!!!
Old 08-20-18, 11:43 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,077 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Apparently he hasn't ridden a bicycle on the road in 3 years, whatever that means. Maybe he has forgotten what it's really like ...[/left]
Or been in the military, let alone combat; but probably has seen some war movies.
Old 08-21-18, 08:29 AM
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by downhillmaster

The layman's term is Combat Fatigue Syndrome. Non military people enduring stressful situations where their life is at stake, or they believe so, get this all the time. The only cure is to "remove yourself from the 'life threatening' situation". Many people need therapy afterwards as well, but therapy won't work if they are still under duress. Use The Google. It's easy to find.
Old 08-21-18, 08:38 AM
20+mph Commuter

I'm glad this didn't get bumped to P&R yet as I was making a point when posting it here. A few folks responding caught what I was trying to achieve:

Bike riding is not inherently "Safe". In fact, it isn't safe at all under many normal conditions. Here is my logic:

People who are non cyclists are injected into a very advanced cycling situation. They feel lucky to be alive at the end of the day. They certainly don't feel safe. Also:
Originally Posted by TheLibrarian It's dangerous enough walking in the city. I can't believe they rent citibikes to any old schlub and tourists...
Yeah! Existing around moving vehicles is freaking dangerous. So, if you are a newbie it is dangerous, obviously. But if you are a "Master" cyclist, does that make the SITUATION any LESS dangerous? No it does NOT. The situation is exactly the same. YOU figured out how to bend the odds SLIGHTLY in your favor by acquiring skills and possessing the ability to concentrate and SEE ten things at one. How/why do these skills evolve? Because you are ADAPTING to DANGER.

Cycling in the real world is inherently dangerous. Just HOW dangerous depends on the rider, the situation, and LUCK.

This was the A&S point I was trying to make.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 08-21-18 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-21-18, 10:05 AM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Cycling in the real world is inherently dangerous. Just HOW dangerous depends on the rider, the situation, and LUCK.

This was the A&S point I was trying to make.

Ok, after years of riding and not being killed, you've explained why you now feel that cycling along with motor traffic is too dangerous to continue. What I don't understand is why you are posting this here, where everyone knows the risks as well as you do. Should we give up riding too, just to be "safe"?

Old 08-21-18, 10:43 AM
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Ok, after years of riding and not being killed, you've explained why you now feel that cycling along with motor traffic is too dangerous to continue. What I don't understand is why you are posting this here, where everyone knows the risks as well as you do. Should we give up riding too, just to be "safe"?
That is a GREAT question.

In here (A&S) I have noticed over the years that almost every time someone posts one of those "Cyclists Killed By Drunk Driver" or "Cyclist Killed By Texting Driver" everyone starts hammering together another gallows for the motorist but very rarely, almost never (unless it's me) does anyone HERE mention "Man, I wouldn't be riding on THAT road at THAT time on a bicycle". Everything is the "shark's fault" and never the "swimmer" venturing into shark infested waters.

There is a certain aura of entitlement around here (not everyone) that is pervasive in A&S regarding our "rights to the roadway". Basically, you shoudn't be doing something JUST because you CAN and expect the whole world to cow-tow to your behavior. Cycling in traffic ranges from "risky" to "incredibly risky". Nobody is MAKING us go out there. If I get hosed, it's on me. I know it's risky but I do it anyway. If I deem it "incredibly risky", then I likely will not anymore.

So my posts like this one are designed to restore a balance between the "Hang The Motorist" crowd and those of us who take personal responsibility for playing in traffic with the knowledge that we might not come home one night. New people find BikeForums every day. So I try to keep a thread like this on Page 1 at all times. My way of "giving back" to the cycling community. Basically I am like a sign on the beach that says "Shark Infested Waters - Swim At Your Own Risk". It is rare here in Advocacy and SAFETY that anyone wants to be the shark sign. So I took it upon myself.

If someone was to read this post and decide to NOT take up cycling because of it, I would be sad. But at least they had the full story to base their decision upon.

Cheers.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 08-21-18 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-21-18, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 403 Posts
The layman's term is Combat Fatigue Syndrome. Non military people enduring stressful situations where their life is at stake, or they believe so, get this all the time. The only cure is to "remove yourself from the 'life threatening' situation". Many people need therapy afterwards as well, but therapy won't work if they are still under duress. Use The Google. It's easy to find.
I know what the term means.
I don’t know why you referenced it in a discussion on a bike forum.
It certainly had nothing to do with the OP which was nothing more than a link to a ridiculous illegal immigrant article.
So again I ask you; did you reference Combat Fatigue Syndrome because it pertains to you riding a bicycle?
If so, I hope you are receiving the proper medical and psychological treatment.

Last edited by downhillmaster; 08-21-18 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-21-18, 11:46 AM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
If riding a bike is as stressful to you as being in combat, then maybe it's not for you.
Old 08-21-18, 11:50 AM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
very rarely, almost never (unless it's me) does anyone HERE mention "Man, I wouldn't be riding on THAT road at THAT time on a bicycle".
You must not read A&S very often, because I see that sentiment a lot.
Old 08-21-18, 12:10 PM
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
So my posts like this one are designed to restore a balance between the "Hang The Motorist" crowd and those of us who take personal responsibility for playing in traffic with the knowledge that we might not come home one night. New people find BikeForums every day. So I try to keep a thread like this on Page 1 at all times. My way of "giving back" to the cycling community. Basically I am like a sign on the beach that says "Shark Infested Waters - Swim At Your Own Risk". It is rare here in Advocacy and SAFETY that anyone wants to be the shark sign. So I took it upon myself.
This makes me wonder what differentiates your sentiment from the "blame the victim" comments at the end of EVERY news story about a cyclist being killed. I promise you that everyone has seen these comments. Do you post similar comments on stories about construction workers who are killed due to another person's negligence? I mean, they should have known what they were getting into. That's on them.
Old 08-21-18, 01:50 PM
20+mph Commuter

This makes me wonder what differentiates your sentiment from the "blame the victim" comments at the end of EVERY news story about a cyclist being killed. I promise you that everyone has seen these comments. Do you post similar comments on stories about construction workers who are killed due to another person's negligence? I mean, they should have known what they were getting into. That's on them.
Nah, A&S can be like people who purchase a house near an international airport then complain about the jet engine noise.

When I vacation at the beach, my wife and I walk on the beach, hang out at the beach, and swim in the hotel pool. When our friends get stung up by jellyfish in the ocean, I don't feel too sorry for them. Didn't they know that was a possibility? Don't blame the mindless jellyfish, it won't make the sting feel any better. Some mindless motorist dolt smacks a cyclist who is doing everything "right", sure that sucks, but they swam in the ocean of their own accord.

The construction worker you mentioned does take a risk that prevents him and his family from starving. Some kitted-up weekend warrior cycling out on State Highway 51 during the nearby plant 5PM shift change on a Friday afternoon is putting him/herself at risk just for the fun of it. Big difference. Even if the cyclist IS a construction worker.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 08-21-18 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-21-18, 01:59 PM
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Nah, A&S can be like people who purchase a house near an international airport then complain about the jet engine noise.

When I vacation at the beach, my wife and I walk on the beach, hang out at the beach, and swim in the hotel pool. When our friends get stung up by jellyfish in the ocean, I don't feel too sorry for them. Didn't they know that was a possibility? Don't blame the mindless jellyfish, it won't make the sting feel any better. Some mindless motorist dolt smacks a cyclist who is doing everything "right", sure that sucks, but they swam in the ocean of their own accord.

The construction worker you mentioned does take a risk that prevents him and his family from starving. Some kitted-up weekend warrior cycling out on State Highway 51 during the nearby plant 5PM shift change on a Friday afternoon is putting him/herself at risk just for the fun of it. Big difference. Even if the cyclist IS a construction worker.
Okay. Thank you for reinforcing my point.
Old 08-21-18, 02:35 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts

There's quite a mental difference between jellyfish, and even sharks and HUMANs... the latter as "mindless motorist dolt" has made a choice to be said dolt... and if that is their choice, they should not be piloting a 2 ton vehicle on public streets.

By the same token, the idiot dolt cyclist that blindly swerves into traffic... probably should not be riding on public streets.

But when the cyclist is "playing by all the rules," we expect motorists to at least attempt to do the same. That "attempt" isn't always made.... and that's when folks don't return home...
Old 08-21-18, 03:02 PM
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by genec
There's quite a mental difference between jellyfish, and even sharks and HUMANs... the latter as "mindless motorist dolt" has made a choice to be said dolt... and if that is their choice, they should not be piloting a 2 ton vehicle on public streets.

By the same token, the idiot dolt cyclist that blindly swerves into traffic... probably should not be riding on public streets.

But when the cyclist is "playing by all the rules," we expect motorists to at least attempt to do the same. That "attempt" isn't always made.... and that's when folks don't return home...
People and cyclists also make honest mistakes operating their vehicles.
Old 08-21-18, 09:38 PM

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
People and cyclists also make honest mistakes operating their vehicles.
I can't see how anybody running a red light (on a bicycle, in a car or on foot) or anybody exceeding the speed limit can be an honest mistake.
Old 08-22-18, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
The nature of the U.S.'s roads makes them dangerous to all road users. If you get too hung up on it, you'll never leave your house. Be aware, do what you can to minimize the danger to yourself and others, live your life.
Old 08-22-18, 09:30 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Memento mori.
Old 08-22-18, 10:26 AM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by 5teve
The nature of the U.S.'s roads makes them dangerous to all road users. If you get too hung up on it, you'll never leave your house. Be aware, do what you can to minimize the danger to yourself and others, live your life.
Just staying home can be dangerous too.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-22-18, 01:28 PM

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
That's been my life...continuing.
Old 08-23-18, 12:36 PM
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Daniel4
I can't see how anybody running a red light (on a bicycle, in a car or on foot) or anybody exceeding the speed limit can be an honest mistake.
You think EVERYBODY drives like this^^? I don't. Humans are flawed creatures. We will make mistakes and bad judgements under the best of circumstances. I try not to put myself in a position where the odds of becoming a victim is above a certain personal threshold. It's the ONLY action within my power to take.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.