Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Patching TIRES (i.e., not tubes)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Patching TIRES (i.e., not tubes)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-16, 12:34 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't let my tires get anything close to worn down to the cords. I don't even let the wear indicator (on those that have them) get down to the bottom. I enjoy high speed descents on steep hills and I figure a bad blow out at high speed would be so disasterous that I consider replacing tires early and often to be a cheap insurance policy.
Old 10-07-16, 12:42 PM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 533 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
...snip...

The bills are just to get me home. THen I do a full repair with sailcloth (ask any sailmaker for some dacron sailcloth appropriate for dingies -a foot or so of scrap probably won't cost you anything and it is A-1 first class patching material for permanent tire casing repairs, even large ones). Cut the boot oversize. I often go bead to bead and and inch or more beyond the cut. Glue in with contractor's contact cement. (The stuff with real warning re: fumes. Take the warnings seriously.) This will last as long as the rest of the tire except that taking the tire on and off tends to be hard on the gluing and will sometimes need to have the edges glued down again. Sailcloth matches the feel and performance of tires really well and you will not notice it at all riding.

I regularly ride tires to the end of the tread with cuts early on that many posters here would tell me to scrap. I like riding $75 tires. I cannot afford to just toss them because something happened at 500 miles. Tires that get cut go into a pile. About once a year, I pull out the sailcloth and glue and go at it. Then I have a stack of nice tires for a while. (And to Demon Cyclist - using bills is just a low interest loan, it doesn't actually cost anything. They are completely usable later (and will do even better run through the laundry if needed).

Ben
Huh, that sounds good. I've had tires cut on the second or third ride, and had to throw them out. I'll try this next time!
Old 10-07-16, 12:42 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Only replace it if the cut is a longer slice in the tire. I look for bulges in the tire after I pump it back up. That means the fabric under the rubber tread can't hold the pressure any more.
Cool, that is the sort of advice I was shooting for!
Old 10-07-16, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
[IMG]009 by onedollarmiyata, on Flickr[/IMG]
This screw hit the brake stay and locked the rear tire up. Was about 400 miles from home. Just put a dollar boot in it and rode it for another thousand miles or so. Was an Armadillo, not every tire would do that well.

The only time I toss a tire is when the sidewall is cut all the way through. I have ridden tires down to almost an exposed tube on tour, but try to keep some tread on things normally. I do notice increased flats when the tire is worn down a lot.
Old 10-07-16, 01:13 PM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I always carry a couple of small (1 3/4" diameter) car tire patches in my patch kit to use as a boot if I need one. They're thick enough that they should get me home, probably about as thick as the tire itself.
Old 10-07-16, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18444 Post(s)
Liked 4,551 Times in 3,382 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Or they replace them after 2 years and 2,200 miles when there are worn out. You replace your car tires when they wear out? I do.
2000 miles is barely broken in. It also depends on front or rear, or rotated.

2 years? Whew? It would depend on the tires, and your use. Mom's bike has at least 20 year old tires on it, but not a lot of miles. I'll probably replace them in a bit.

I've got over 5000 miles so far this year (a few months left to go). Distributed between a couple of bikes, but I'm not sure I'll make it to 2 years tire life with my primary riding bikes. However, I'm hoping my tires on my cargo bike will last a good long time.

I do find over time the rubber will dry out a bit, so the thousand micro holes in the older tires may be in part caused by weaker rubber.

As far as patching, I've been experimenting with radial tire patches. They have a little added internal strength/support. I put one on a tire with some moderate sidewall damage, and it lasted until I lost a big enough chunk of tread rubber down to the cords that I didn't feel comfortable riding the tire until I attempt further repairs.
Old 10-07-16, 01:19 PM

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
2000 miles is barely broken in. It also depends on front or rear, or rotated.

2 years? Whew? It would depend on the tires, and your use. Mom's bike has at least 20 year old tires on it, but not a lot of miles. I'll probably replace them in a bit.

I've got over 5000 miles so far this year (a few months left to go). Distributed between a couple of bikes, but I'm not sure I'll make it to 2 years tire life with my primary riding bikes. However, I'm hoping my tires on my cargo bike will last a good long time.

I do find over time the rubber will dry out a bit, so the thousand micro holes in the older tires may be in part caused by weaker rubber.

As far as patching, I've been experimenting with radial tire patches. They have a little added internal strength/support. I put one on a tire with some moderate sidewall damage, and it lasted until I lost a big enough chunk of tread rubber down to the cords that I didn't feel comfortable riding the tire until I attempt further repairs.
Boston, MA roads are crap and really tough on tires. I use panaracer pasella in tour guard. 700 x 35. I average about 2,000 bike commuter miles a year. Over say 4 or 5 bikes. Lucky to get 2 seasons out of a tire. Those tires also see some dirt roads and single track.
Old 10-07-16, 01:41 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Two separate problems:

The most common is a simple hole in the tire. If your inner tube is sticking through, you obviously have to patch the hole with something. If I'm on the road, I usually use a dollar bill. If I'm at home, I'll stick a piece of duct tape over the inside of the hole. If, after re-inflating my tire to operating pressure, I can't see or feel a bump where the hole is, I feel that I'm good-to-go.

Cut or broken tire cords are a different issue. After a puncture these sometimes show up as a bump in the tire. Sometimes they show up, even without a puncture, as a kind of "Z" shape in the tread. I've heard that some folks have various methods of repairing such damage but I replace the tire.
Old 10-10-16, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
A puncture doesn't need any repair for the hole, as long as no threads are damaged.

A chuck of missing rubber can be filled in with things like Shoe Goo (if no casing threads are damaged) but it may not hold in use. The usual problem you have when bonding two pieces of rubber together that aren't the same density or hardness is that when flexed they tend to develop a tear where the density/hardness changes, due to one not being as stretchy as the other.

If enough casing threads are broken that the tire doesn't hold its proper shape when inflated, then the tire is trash. There is no way to effectively repair it. If you are on the road when this happens then you can do whatever you have to temporarily just to get home--maybe while running a lower-than-normal pressure!--but the tire is ruined and you need a new one.
Old 10-13-16, 06:04 PM

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I recently did use a GU gel pack to limp another 10-15 miles and the hole in the sidewall was big enough to put my thumb in easily. Even that was bulging at over 40 PSI but I lowered it and it held. It was a serious emergency fix. I would prefer to keep a couple of boots handy. My shoe, on the other hand, will need a bit of black duct tape.

The tiny bit of remaining GU seeping out after 5-6 miles..., yes, it was an empty pack.

Last edited by Chandne; 10-13-16 at 06:08 PM.