Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

car hits bike in bike lane - bicyclist ticketed

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

car hits bike in bike lane - bicyclist ticketed

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-11, 07:28 PM
pbd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Looked to me like the video was about 20 cars in the bike lane. Taking a wild guess, I'd guess it was about...200 feet. Maybe it wasn't, I didn't actually measure it, since I wasn't there. I'm just saying if I was driving, I'd be doing the same thing those cars are doing, which is establishing their position in line in a place that clearly indicates my direction of travel. Looks legal and proper to me, but if you're going to argue the distance of 200ft vs. whatever your estimate is, then I give up.

In a traffic jam like that, many things become more difficult. If those cars were waiting another 20 yards to merge over, they'd still be sitting in the bike lane, it'd just be another 20 yards down down the road. Might as well get all the cars in the bike lane at once so you can see them and plan for them.

Plus you'd have a situation where cars are sitting still on the right, then having to move over to the left one at a time, making an unsafe situation further down the road. It would also be blocking cars that want to go straight or turn right, exacerbating the traffic problem, making it worse for everyone. As it is in the video, the cars inconvenienced 1 cyclist (and he clearly wasn't too concerned about his own safety, given how he weaved in and out of the cars to the right when he didn't have to, going at least 1 lane farther right than needed). If the cars all instead stopped on the right and waited to the last minute to merge left, it would inconvenience dozens of motorists who wished to go straight or turn right, and would likely confuse people.

As it is in the video, the cyclist's option is clear: wait in line for your turn in the bike lane, as intended by the law, or lane-split. Lane-splitting there actually makes plenty of sense, since the left-turning cars have already moved left and the straight-bound cars are on the right, and the cyclist in the video clearly doesn't mind lanesplitting.

(Also, I still don't understand the fascination with the dashed line, the dashed line isn't the law, and it is not always there anyway).

Last edited by pbd; 09-03-11 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-03-11, 07:42 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by pbd
Looked to me like the video was about 20 cars in the bike lane. Taking a wild guess, I'd guess it was about...200 feet. Maybe it wasn't, I didn't actually measure it, since I wasn't there. I'm just saying if I was driving, I'd be doing the same thing those cars are doing, which is establishing their position in line in a place that clearly indicates my direction of travel. Looks legal and proper to me, but if you're going to argue the distance of 200ft vs. whatever your estimate is, then I give up.
Trying to cut the car count from 40 down to 20 to make your claims seem reasonable?

And then you claim they are still driving legally, contrary to the laws posted for you.

And you say regardless of the law, motorist should illegally drive in the bike lane because that is what YOU would do, all for the convenience of other motorist.

Last edited by CB HI; 09-03-11 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-03-11, 07:50 PM
pbd

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CB HI
Trying to cut the car count from 40 down to 20 to make your claims seem reasonable?

And then you claim they are still driving legally, contrary to the law I just posted for you.

And you say regardless of the law, motorist should illegally drive in the bike lane because that is what YOU would do, all for the convenience of other motorist.
You honestly counted them? As I said, a wild guess. I have no idea. It was 40? Cool.

Next time I come to a traffic jam on an interstate that has a posted minimum speed, I'll be sure and call the cops to tell them hundreds of cars are breaking the law because of the traffic jam.
Old 09-03-11, 07:52 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by pbd
You honestly counted them? As I said, a wild guess. I have no idea. It was 40? Cool.

Next time I come to a traffic jam on an interstate that has a posted minimum speed, I'll be sure and call the cops to tell them hundreds of cars are breaking the law because of the traffic jam.
Or maybe when there is a traffic jam on the interstate, just try driving in the car pool lane and see if the cops think that is OK.
Old 09-03-11, 08:37 PM
Vegan on a bicycle

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by pbd
Plus you'd have a situation where cars are sitting still on the right, then having to move over to the left one at a time, making an unsafe situation further down the road. It would also be blocking cars that want to go straight or turn right, exacerbating the traffic problem, making it worse for everyone.
no worse than it would be without the "cycle lane". hint: it's not there for cars!

it's law in NZ that cars yield ("give way" in NZ english) to bicycles in the bike lane. based on that, the only safe/legal option is for cars to stay out of the bike lane until they can cross through it safely without impeding bicycles. using the bike lane as a place to "store" cars while they wait to turn is neither safe nor legal. i doubt that it would be legal in any US jurisdiction.
Old 09-04-11, 05:40 AM
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You guys need to fill that bike lane with cyclists. Get 50 of you and keep circling back and filling it during rush hour.
Old 09-04-11, 06:37 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
shudda punched the driver in the head