Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Happy Bike To Work Day

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Happy Bike To Work Day

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-11, 09:05 AM

Bikes: 2012 Public T7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
Here you go... I just printed it on a color printer and cut it out.
https://www.bikeleague.org/programs/b...poster2011.pdf
Awesome, thanks for the link!
Old 05-13-11, 09:09 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 98 Posts
Excellent... 100km commute today and the weather is beautiful and that wind from hell has turned into a pleasant breeze.
Old 05-13-11, 11:00 AM

Bikes: '09 Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heh, I didn't realize yesterday was bike to work day. I still commuted, but maintenance complained about my bike being in the front foyer, so I have to lock it in the backyard. Nice to know everyone is so supportive

Ran into a couple people out for joy rides, though I didn't see any other discernible commuters. I run half of my day ride on a MUP and half on road. Coming home I see no one. A few more cyclists in the summer, but that's about it.

Oh well, all in all, it was a good day to ride. Was a hectic day too, so I needed the stress relief. Happy biking
Old 05-13-11, 11:31 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Bike to Work Day is on different dates in different cities. It's on May 20 here.

Thanks for posting the poster(s). I'm going to put some up around my building, even though there are only a handful of us who ride.
Old 05-13-11, 12:31 PM

Bikes: Roleigh SC7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does New Braunfels ,Tx have a bike -to- work day?
Old 05-13-11, 02:27 PM

Bikes: 5 Colnago, 2 Olmo, Bianchi, 4 Austro-Daimler, Merlin, Fisher Tandem, John Waite track tandem, Schwinns, Steyrs, Bill Holland Ti path racer, Chinese prototype FS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike to Work Day in San Diego is May 20. Until the Tour of California moved to the third week in May, I only missed riding on one BTW Day between 1992 and 2009. This year I will be with thousands of other spectators at the time trial in Solvang.
Old 05-13-11, 04:25 PM

Bikes: '09 Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, fancy that. That's my day off next week. I'll be getting my National bike to work day the rest of the week.

Oh well, hope the weather and riding are fantastic for everyone. Maybe i'll take a spin in honor of everyone who's riding that day Or better yet, down to the bike shop for new toys.
Old 05-13-11, 11:15 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 98 Posts
Only rode one way today and the little breeze that was promised turned into a nasty headwind at the halfway point... nothing like pedaling down hills that you can usually bomb at 50-60 kmh.

Still... nice to be able to ride for two and a half hours into the wind as a few years ago I would not have been able to conceive of riding this far, let alone into the wind.

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 05-17-11 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-14-11, 01:18 AM

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Germans don't celebrate Bike to Work Day. At least I haven't seen anything advertised. Doesn't really matter though, I commute everyday. I do miss stopping by the energizer stations set up in Silicon Valley for the treats, musette swag bags and bike talk.
Old 05-14-11, 01:52 AM
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately it would be counterproductive for me to cycle to work.
Old 05-17-11, 05:59 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Well, as seems to be the case every year, we have the worst weather here on Bike to Work Week - Day. Forecasts are calling for rain here every day except Friday, which is Bike to Work Day, so it could be worse. I rode yesterday and dodged the rain, but decided to drive today with a low centered over NC and rain expected off and on all day. Hopefully the rest of the week will fare better.

It's funny to hear some of you complaining about too many cyclists on BTWD. What a hoot! If I see 2 other cyclists on my commute route this week, I will be surprised. Of course, if I ride downtown to the "official" BTWD events on Friday, I will see some other bike commuters, but I sure don't see them in the suburbs. Hopefully I can get away from the office for a couple of hours to participate in the BTWD events because the last time I went they were giving away a lot of freebies -- bike lights, t-shirt, food, coffee -- and the weather is actually supposed to be nice that day for a change.
Old 05-17-11, 11:59 AM
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by commo_soulja
Germans don't celebrate Bike to Work Day. At least I haven't seen anything advertised. ...
Well that would be like the US having a "walk from the couch to the 'fridge and back" day. I think the activity needs to be somewhat "underground" in order for it to be celebrated.
Old 05-17-11, 12:31 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
BTWD is this Friday, the 20th in Metro D.C. I happened to bike to work today - it was cold and wet. Our BTW days are always cold, wet, and windy. I do see a dramatic increase in commuters each year on that day.

There is a lot of activity in the morning but the ride home is rather gloomy - lots of new riders struggling w/o much support.
Old 05-17-11, 01:46 PM
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's raining all this week week in NYC. It was cold and pouring hard this morning, I took mass transit Happy Bike To... oh, never mind...
Old 05-19-11, 07:11 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today's bike to work day here.. I actually saw less bikes today than usual this morning, and it was a beautiful day so no weather excuses... I'm about to leave for my ride home, hopefully there'll be more bikes this time.
Old 05-19-11, 07:21 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
BTWD tomorrow. I'll be helping lead a group into Downtown from my side of Indy, the Southside. All the groups will meet at the Circle, for free breakfast and stuff, the Mayor will speak. Biking is on an upswing around here. Not too many years ago, I was the sole rider on the Southside BTWD ride. I'll report back.
Old 05-20-11, 04:52 AM
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
They're supposed to have something tomorrow in the nearby town about Bike month... we'll see how it goes.
Old 05-20-11, 05:37 AM
Saving gas on my commute

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oklahoma City's bike to work day is Friday the 20th, but it will a day full of heavy thunderstorms. I don't mind riding in rain, and have rain gear, but prefer to not ride in lightning and hail. I was awakened to hail this morning, so I'll reluctantly go to work in the steel cage. I don't feel too badly, as I have ridden 130 miles in the last seven days.
Old 05-20-11, 06:33 AM

Bikes: Iron Horse XT 2100 (1997?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike to work day was today. Rode in with the group - pretty large for this area (8-10 people), especially considering it was raining the entire time. Peeled off before they finished so didn't get the freebies.
Old 05-20-11, 06:46 AM

Bikes: Trek Soho S (sold), Bridgestone 300 SS (stolen), 1988 Raleigh Technium The Chill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't realize it was bike to work week here. Didn't see any ads or hoopla. Although the company I work for, Whole Foods, is taking part in the celebration downtown at the circle. I did however ride my bike to work 2 days ago, and I took a 27 mile joyride last night, so I don't feel so guilty.
Old 05-20-11, 07:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first bike to work day in Philly and I was pretty disappointed. It appears that the only official event is 'bike to work with the mayor' and there was no free food/coffee/etc at the start point (maybe at the end, but it doesn't start until 8:15, which is significantly after I see the most commuter traffic, and I had to go to work.....). Either way, a pretty weak showing for a city that's trying to argue that it has the most bike commuters for a major city.....

At least Kelly Drive was closed to vehicles for a regatta, it's always fun to ride down that instead of the trail
Old 05-20-11, 07:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saw one other bike commuter this week (today actually). Since this is only the second time I've seen another commuter, in the 2.5 years I've been riding this route, I'll count it as a win.
Old 05-20-11, 07:33 AM

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Giant TCX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTWD, I guess there was plenty of support in the Baltimore and Annapolis area. No coffee breaks on my route. The encouraging thing is I saw more people riding this morning than I have seen the entire year.
Old 05-20-11, 07:35 AM
Old, but not really wise

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dew Drop (the daily driver),'07 Specialized Roubaix (the sports car), '99 ish Kona NuNu MTB (the SUV), Schwinn High Plains (circa 1992?) (the beater)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was DC's spring BTWD, so I honored it by riding the whole way from home to work (19 miles each way -- which I rarely do). The weather cooperated, with sunny skies, and only a few major puddles from the week's storms. Watched a woman lift her feet up to her top tube to go through some... wondered how that would work if the puddle was a little bit bigger ;-)

Lots of cyclists, passed 4 'pit stops' on my way to my registered stop. I will say, cagers at crossings seemed particularly courteous this morning, and my average speed stayed quite high, despite being caught behind plenty of 'slower traffic' on the MUP :-)
Old 05-20-11, 07:35 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bhop
Down here it's May 19th.
up here it's every day.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.