Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Need 26/2.0 (or more) tires for city commuting, Conti Town and Country let me down

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Need 26/2.0 (or more) tires for city commuting, Conti Town and Country let me down

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-10, 07:33 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
So much for Continental Town and Country puncture resistance I had my first flat today after a month or two worth of riding.
I'm surprised - I had a pair for... well, three commuting seasons (I don't ride when it's below 30) and never got a flat.
Old 03-25-10, 07:39 AM
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quickbeam
Just a heads-up; when I first installed the Marathon Plusses, I had a hell of time getting the beads to seat. It might have just been the rim/tire combination but it was a pain in the arse. Once I got them installed they've been fine. But I've never had to take them off the rims because, like I said, I've never had a flat with them. So anyway, you might find that they're a little stubborn to install.
I'm familiar with that The Maxxis tires were a pain to install for the first time too. What I do I pump them above their rating, so like 80psi for 60psi tires and leave them alone for a while and they would pop into place. I may get that tool for setting tires though.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm surprised - I had a pair for... well, three commuting seasons (I don't ride when it's below 30) and never got a flat.
Maybe my route is a lot crappier than yours

Adam
Old 03-25-10, 07:46 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Maybe my route is a lot crappier than yours

Adam
I have to ride over crack vials, too!
Old 03-25-10, 07:59 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I've had T&Cs that were great, and others that were crap.
I think they are manufactured in multiple locations and the quality control isn't consistent.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-25-10, 11:38 AM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
T&C's used to be made in Germany and apparently had good puncture protection. The ones that came on my '06 Safari were crap. 5 flats,2fr 3r. I'm running Marathon Supremes now and they're some of the best tires I've ever ridden. Light,stick like glue,wear well,reflective sidewalls,and zero flats. When I swapped them last winter for studs the rear had numerous scars in the tread and I actually picked about a half dozen bits of glass and wire out of it. Last Summer I finally hit something that cut about a 1/8-1/4" gash in the tread. My tube was nicked and had a slow leak,but I was able to ride home on it just fine. Current set has been zero flats so far. They're expensive,but given the way they handle,stick in the rain,and take abuse,I'm going to keep using them as long as Schwalbe makes them.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 03-25-10, 11:51 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
T&C's used to be made in Germany and apparently had good puncture protection. The ones that came on my '06 Safari were crap. 5 flats,2fr 3r.
I used to run T&Cs for many years, even outfitted an entire small police bike patrol with them, and had great luck with them, but never even looked at where they were manufactured (I assume Germany). Then last spring when we were building the Big Dummy, I wanted to use them again...so we ordered some. When they came in I changed my mind...it was easy to see that these were not the same tires I used to use...these things looked & felt paper thin and flimsy. Way to f up one of the most popular 26" inverted tread tires ever made.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-25-10, 12:02 PM
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
...these things looked & felt paper thin and flimsy
That's how I felt when I received them, but I thought "what do I know about tires?". But when compared to the Maxxis tires I have or the 700/32 Schwalbes I just received for my touring bike these T&C look more like inner tubes than a solid tire The sidewalls are literally paper thin, not strong enough to hold the tire on the rim when deflated.
Old 03-25-10, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lapher22
Schwalbe big apples. I used the 29x2.3 version for over 2k miles and had 2 flats. they still had tread left when I retired the bike from commuting and sold the tires. I highly reccomend them.
+1 I have 3,000 km + on a set of 2.0s No flats yet. I've got a 1000km or thereabouts on a set of marathon Supremes in 700x40, had one flat with them, curved metal piece (valve spring?) snuck in over the belt. Both types ride very nice too.
Old 03-25-10, 09:42 PM
Lumens For Life

Bikes: 1989 Nishiki Ariel, 24" Elf Doublecross, 80's(?) Schwinn Traveler, soon a Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding on 26x1.75 Michelin Pilot City tires and they are awesome..!!
not light, but seem bulletproof, with good grip on the road....
couldn't find them locally, but found a pretty good deal on Amazon....
I see them on ebay every so often too.... I'll be getting another pair when
I get another bike....

https://www.michelinbicycletire.com/m...pilotcity.view
Old 03-26-10, 02:22 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had Armadillos, they're on the low end of puncture protection IMHO, and I don't like the red sidewalls
lol! My armadillos are top end puncture proof. I ride over anything - broken glass, gravel, twigs, poor road surfaces - nothing penetrates them (or haven't for around 2500 miles). Schwalbes are next on my list of tyres to try though - good luck with the new ones

Last edited by daven1986; 03-27-10 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-26-10, 03:02 PM
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got 8,000km on a pair of specialized nimbus kevlar tires... only had one puncture where a nail went up through the tire and out the sidewall, good thing it missed my rim - though it did scratch up the fork(tire was salvaged with some tape and glue). I've run over lots and lots of glass since then and those tires still have another season left.

IMO, you are going to have limited success with punctures like my nail, kevlar won't help with that either since the nail head will guide it straight through the weave.
Old 03-27-10, 09:03 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
I've got 8,000km on a pair of specialized nimbus kevlar tires... only had one puncture where a nail went up through the tire and out the sidewall, good thing it missed my rim - though it did scratch up the fork(tire was salvaged with some tape and glue). I've run over lots and lots of glass since then and those tires still have another season left.

IMO, you are going to have limited success with punctures like my nail, kevlar won't help with that either since the nail head will guide it straight through the weave.
Yep the nimbus ones are good too, have around 3000 miles on my pair.