Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Read any good books lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Read any good books lately?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-12, 06:24 PM

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 392 Posts
I'm 1/2, 3/4 of the way through, "JUST RIDE" by Grant Petersen. Debunking, questioning, biking's accepted knowns, norms, and what people perceive, again, accept as facts! Anyhow, Interesting read!
Old 05-20-12, 06:26 PM

Bikes: 2007 Raleigh Rx 1.0, 1990 Cannondale ST400, 1981 Fredy Rüegg, 1984 Miyata One-Thousand

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eschlwc
that's the most heavy-handed book i've ever read. if you wish to grow great contempt for a mechanic, read that.
I had to read it in high school, and unfortunately at that time I had disdain for anything that was forced upon me. Since then I've reread a lot of those classics and loved them. I'd like to give it a fair chance.

Most recently I read Jared Diamond's "Collapse," which only took me, oh... 3 years to finish.
Old 05-20-12, 06:42 PM

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 86 Posts
Wolf Hall, by Hilary Mantel. A historical novel that takes the viewpoint of Thomas Cromwell, who was a runaway blacksmith's son, an Italian mercenary, a trader and man of business, a protege of Cardinal Wolsey, and eventually Henry Tudor's counselor and 'fixer', the man who managed the break from Rome and allowed Henry to annul his marriage to Catherine of Aragon and marry Anne Boleyn. Heads will roll, literally.

Mantel adopts an odd stylistic choice of having everything through Cromwell's eyes, and using 'he said' and 'he thought' without reminding you that it's Cromwell. But you get used to it, and he's so compelling a character, and the drama so high yet underplayed, that you (or I at least) can't help getting caught up in it. It's like 'Game of Thrones' without the hocus-pocus.

I was approaching the end, thinking, 'but Wolf Hall is the seat of the Seymours, and we just finally got to the Boleyn marriage!' when I found this is the first volume of a trilogy! And the second volume is about to be published. It got this rave review in the New Yorker. I usually use our public library but this book I'm ordering. From our LBS, Local Book Store.

^ cool choices above. I'm also partial to Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series, they are indeed like comfort food which I have returned to over and over. Back in the early 90s I even went on a tall ship cruise, up Lake Michigan, on the 'HMS Rose,' a replica of a Royal navy frigate, which was later bought and used in the 'Master and Commander' movie.

^^There may not be many Dutch novels in English translation, but Harry Mulisch's 'The Assault,' which I picked up in an Amsterdam bookshop, is very powerful. Especially if you've just been to Amsterdam's Resistance Museum. It seems to explain a lot about the postwar generation. I need to find 'The Discovery of Heaven.'

^^^ Re: the Forrestal fire. I read some years back that hotshot Navy pilots sometimes fired up their engines briefly while on the deck, kind of a 'f you' gag to the guy next in line, and that this may have been the cause of the fire on the Forrestal. (edit: DD addresses this below, and there's also a thorough page at wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_USS_Forrestal_fire)

^^^^The Marine's secret is safe with us.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 05-20-12 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-20-12, 06:47 PM

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'm almost through "Currency Wars" by James Rickards. I have enjoyed it thoroughly, think is a very good book, and would recommend it to others.
Old 05-20-12, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Current book? The Third Policeman by Brian O'Nolan.
Old 05-20-12, 07:09 PM
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked 1,947 Times in 1,102 Posts

I started cycling just before Greg Lemond won everything and Hinault was king. Great stuff.
Old 05-20-12, 07:11 PM
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

^^Before that I read this:

Old 05-20-12, 07:18 PM
Port

^^Before those, I re-read the Hobbit, all three Hunger Games, and complete Sherlock Holmes -all free on my Kindle.

I definitely prefer real books, but the kindle is great for TONS of free classics*, has some decent free selections if you have Prims, and it is great for travel.

*In addition to Amazon, there is Project Gutenberg. Very cool.
Old 05-20-12, 07:31 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
^^Before that I read this:

Great read, that one

Thanks, CV-6!

DD
Old 05-20-12, 07:37 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Chicago Al
Re: the Forrestal fire. I read some years back that hotshot Navy pilots sometimes fired up their engines briefly while on the deck, kind of a 'f you' gag to the guy next in line, and that this may have been the cause of the fire on the Forrestal. (I have no basis for knowing whether this was true or even could be true. In fact if someone more knowledgeable PMs to point out that it's completely implausible I'll remove this part of the post.)
Actually, it was a procedural shortcut, designed to speed up the rack/stack/launch sequence on station in the Gulf of Tonkin. An unauthorized one at that, and one that one or two squadrons were using to arm the rocket launchers on deck. The procedural shortcut allowed stray voltage to fire a Zuni rocket across the deck from an F-4 Phantom on the starboard side into John McCain's A-4 Skyhawk on the port side.

The resulting fire was not the real issue, however. The fact that the bombs on the planes for that morning's sortie came from a Phillipines ammo dump - bombs that were old WW2 composition B - had a very short cook-off time was the main issue for the large loss of life and massive damage. Some of the bombs delivered the night before were actually leaking pure nitro.

Once the bombs began going off on deck, it was touch-and-go whether the ship would be saved. The fact that the crew - and nearby destroyer ******* - were able to contain it was nothing short of heroic.

DD
Old 05-20-12, 07:59 PM
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I recently completed all three books of the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins - easy reads but very well-written IMHO. I've been trying to get into Game of Thrones by George R. Martin. I loved his earlier SF short story Sand Kings, but find the novel Game of Thrones not as captivating as the HBO adaptation.

Last edited by ciocc_cat; 05-20-12 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-20-12, 08:09 PM
Banned.

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Actually, it was a procedural shortcut, designed to speed up the rack/stack/launch sequence on station in the Gulf of Tonkin. An unauthorized one at that, and one that one or two squadrons were using to arm the rocket launchers on deck. The procedural shortcut allowed stray voltage to fire a Zuni rocket across the deck from an F-4 Phantom on the starboard side into John McCain's A-4 Skyhawk on the port side.

The resulting fire was not the real issue, however. The fact that the bombs on the planes for that morning's sortie came from a Phillipines ammo dump - bombs that were old WW2 composition B - had a very short cook-off time was the main issue for the large loss of life and massive damage. Some of the bombs delivered the night before were actually leaking pure nitro.

Once the bombs began going off on deck, it was touch-and-go whether the ship would be saved. The fact that the crew - and nearby destroyer ******* - were able to contain it was nothing short of heroic.

DD
It took a long time for some of the pictures to come out, and many never will. Sailors literally walked into magnesium fire to save the ship, did they not?
Old 05-20-12, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read a lot both for work and pleasure. Of the recent titles I've read, Eliot Cohen's Conquered into Liberty stood out as a very well constructed and readable account of some of the lesser-known but critically important battles in early American history. I'm working through William H. McNeill's Venice right now; few historians are capable of providing such consistently insightful and concise prose, both descriptive and analytic.
Old 05-20-12, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 106 Posts
DD
At first glance at the cover, I thought it was the Franklin.
Old 05-20-12, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
3/4 of the way through Carl Van Doren's biography of Benjamin Franklin. He was an amazing man who had more influence on U.S. history than generally given credit for. He sailed on an American ship to France during the Revolution to secure French aid. Had the British intercepted the ship, he would have been arrested as a traitor to the Crown. Punishment would have been being hanged, drawn, and quartered- as in being pulled apart by four horses. Franklin's property would have been forfeit to the Crown, and his family turned out. He knew this. He also knew that the British were actively seeking American ships. Ben was 70. That is true courage.

Finished a book about the history of the bicycle. Wish I remembered the name & author. Took a while for all the technology in place for the bicycle as we know it to become practical.
Old 05-20-12, 09:38 PM
I got 99 projects

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
wikipedia:
Old 05-20-12, 11:36 PM

Bikes: Too many to list, all titanium or steel.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I've recently read a couple of Cycling books. One the Story of Greg Lemond by Samuel Abt, and the other Lance Armstrong's (autobiography with a co-writer) "Its not about the Bike". I enjoyed both of them. It looks like the 7-11 book shown above was co-written by "Och" who was mentioned frequently in Armstrong's book. It may be worthwhile getting.

I've also recently read Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", which was fascinating. A book called "Enders Game" which is supposedly used to teach tactics at some military schools (and which was nothing like I expected) I would recommend to anyone because the characters were very real. John Grisham's "The Broker" which was fair as a typical Grisham thriller.

I love to read, and don't restrict myself to any one type of book. If something comes highly rated by someone I trust, I'll read it.

I've also got the Kindle reader, which I enjoy less than holding a real book in my hands, but find very convenient to use while traveling because I can carry dozens of books in a pretty slim case. I recently loaned it to my mother-in-law, so it's on a trip to Germany right now.
Old 05-21-12, 12:05 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Sailors literally walked into magnesium fire to save the ship, did they not?
I believe you may be referencing the magnesium flare locker fire aboard the USS Oriskany; that did a fair amount of damage and killed a number of the crew just a little while before the Forrestal incident.

The story about how that fire began was stupidity and very, very bad luck of the highest order. Out at sea, however, it's Murphy's Law that rules - that's why we train, train and train until it becomes as routine as brushing one's teeth.

DD
Old 05-21-12, 12:45 AM

Bikes: 2000 GT I-Drive Team MTB, 2005 Specialized Sirrus, 1973 Schwinn World Voyager (frame only), 1975 Peugeot Mixte, 1980 Raleigh Sport, 1980(?) Peugeot, Giant ATX MTB, 2006 GT I-Drive MTB Frame, 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After having acquired a couple of bikes from the '70s and '80s, I'm re-reading "Glenn's Complete Bicycle Manual" (1973), and Eugene A. Sloane's "Bicycle Maintenance Manual" (1981). I need to refresh my memory on the repair/maintenance techniques I started teaching myself back in the early '80s after having spent nearly the past 20 yrs. working on my mountain bikes with index shifting and suspension.

Harold Glenn's book has a lot of photos, but Sloane's book feels more like he's having a private conversation with the reader. It's one of my favorite bike maintenance books, out of my entire collection of bike 'tool' books.
Old 05-21-12, 12:53 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by RosyRambler
Sloane's book feels more like he's having a private conversation with the reader. It's one of my favorite bike maintenance books, out of my entire collection of bike 'tool' books.
I couldn't agree more. Eugene Sloane was my Sheldon Brown when I was growing up.

DD
Old 05-21-12, 05:36 AM
ad hoc bicyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Nook color e-reader and while it doesn't compare to a book as the feel of holding the book and turning the pages, the ease of carrying it while traveling sure is nice. I am reading the book "The 47th Samurai" by Stephen Hunter and is good light summer reading. Also I've been reading "The Dancing Chain" by Frank Berto and it is an excellent book for the history and technical development of the derailleur from a person who did a lot of the technical reports for bicycling magazines for many years.
Old 05-21-12, 05:52 AM
Banned.

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
I believe you may be referencing the magnesium flare locker fire aboard the USS Oriskany; that did a fair amount of damage and killed a number of the crew just a little while before the Forrestal incident.

The story about how that fire began was stupidity and very, very bad luck of the highest order. Out at sea, however, it's Murphy's Law that rules - that's why we train, train and train until it becomes as routine as brushing one's teeth.

DD
Thanks for the update. One good reason, as a Marine on board, you either help as told or get out of the way.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 05-21-12 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-21-12, 06:28 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
I was recently given a copy of The Long Ships by Franz Bengtsson. It is one volume containing what amounts to four novels, each of which could have made one volume of the Aubrey/Maturin or Hornblower series. But it is set in the years 985-1010 or so. Originally written in Swedish, and brilliantly translated by Michael Meyer.

Usually when I finish a book I put it down and go on to find the next thing to read. This one I just went right back to page 1 and started reading it again. When I finished it the second time, I left it on my side table and now I read a chapter or so at random every night before going to bed. It's that good.
Old 05-21-12, 06:59 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"The Custom Bicycle" by Michael J. Kolin and Denise M. de la Rosa. Most of it is over my head so far but I'm slowly understanding better as I read.
Old 05-21-12, 07:00 AM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 6,796 Times in 3,890 Posts
I recently finished the Stevie Ray Vaughan biography "Caught in the Crossfire". Good book.

A while back I read Rush drummer Neil Peart's book "Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road". Great book.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.