Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Too cold to ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Too cold to ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-10, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by azbackpackr
Ok, it's chilly here in AZ mountains, and sometimes quite cold (below zero, yes, really!) Question: With my current pair of tights my legs can take it down to about 35 or 40 degrees. The rest of me I can layer up so I'm quite comfortable for the first part of the ride. But once I get sweaty, I start heading home because I begin to feel very chilled. I usually make only about 10 miles by the time this happens.

I don't have this happen when hiking or cross country skiing, I guess because I am going slower, less wind chill? I can hike or ski for many hours when it's really cold, but on the bike when it isn't even all that cold (40 isn't really very cold, after all) I just feel chilled and slow and unhappy. I have really tried to toughen up and ride in the cold, but I just don't enjoy it that much. Any suggestions? I can't afford the indoor trainer right now, and it also sounds awfully boring.
I have the same problem,,,Yesterday was º36F and I tried a very very light patagonia wind shell over 2 layers of capelene ,one very thin and the other was thicker with a fleece like inside.(used it as the base,next to skin) Worked well. gonna try it again today but its going to hotter..This is top only, I dont seem to have sweat problems with legs...
Bud
Old 01-11-10, 05:44 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
I've had good luck with my poly base layer; fleece shirt; fleece vest and cycling rain jacket. even when I sweat I have enough insulation to stay warm. I regulate the temp with the zippers. if it's in the 30s then i don't need both the fleece shirt and vest. Friday i rode home with just the base layer; fleece vest and rain jacket. I always wear the rain jacket now because it is yellow and I put a bunch of coast guard approved reflective tape on it. it is cycling specific and i got if for 1/2 price at REI for $49. so ... gonna get my money's worth, you know?
Old 01-11-10, 07:35 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beverly
Do you get chilled riding that close to the windows
Ha! Wind chill is minimal and the Southern exposure of the windows often means lots of sunlight... I usually wear a baseball cap on the spinner to keep sun out of my eyes.

And Eureka! The thermometer actualy broke 30F briefly here today! With all the snow around, I fear flooding is next for us...
Old 01-13-10, 02:12 PM

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Salsa Journeyman, 05 specialized stumpjumper full susp.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. I have thought about upgrading to the windchill tights, for sure, in fact I was just looking at those on Perf. Bikes. As for the upper layering, I do that with the wicking fabric (at least I think it is, it's not cotton, its bike and hike shirts and fleece and Layers long underwear top.) I also need better gloves.

Lately, though, I have been hiking. Not enough snow to xc ski, unless I drive a long ways.
Old 01-15-10, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I LAUGH when I read this thread title..............HUMOR

It is NEVER too cold to ride............if one has clothes in the closet and some DESIRE in the heart............ <<
Old 01-16-10, 01:31 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SortaGrey
I LAUGH when I read this thread title..............HUMOR

It is NEVER too cold to ride............if one has clothes in the closet and some DESIRE in the heart............ <<
To an extent I do agree. But road conditions will often stop any riding in our area. Not much Salt going on the roads right now- after such a long spell of cold- we are running out of it. Offroad and up on the hills and Wind chill is a big factor.

Last weekend and I went out to the hills. Not much riding done- only about 20 miles- but once we hit the open hills- the temp dropped drastically. It was a 5 layer day for me and I was nice and cosy till on the way back. Even my Face and head was getting cool and that was with the Ski Mask on.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-16-10, 07:05 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its supposed to get up to 54 today, but its raining now.
Old 01-16-10, 07:27 AM
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Nichols
The temp here in NW TN is 8º right now. Weather report said we broke a record for this area. This is the 9th day in a row that the temp has not risen above the freezing mark.
Have had temps under 10F on some of my morning commutes recently, with -F windchills. One morning when I checked the temperature and saw that it was 20+F with little wind I caught myself thinking, "Oh good, at least it won't be cold".

You get used to it. You can dress for anything, if you want to, that is.
Old 01-16-10, 08:04 AM

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In NYC its already 40, I going out for a ride in about an hour!
Old 01-16-10, 10:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
But road conditions will often stop any riding in our area. Not much Salt going on the roads right now- after such a long spell of cold- we are running out of it.
Your so right.... I didn't factor road conditions in. I cheat.. haul the bike out 5 mi and ride clean county highways. I don't take the risk on slippery roads with the 4 wheel traffic.... my tires not of the winter type.

So... will it might not be too COLD... at times it is not prudent to ride. SAFETY first.
Old 01-16-10, 11:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gonna be cold today,, 52º F (yes a joke)gettin' ready for 20 along the Platte and Cherry creek...still doesnt make up for the week, it really was to cold ,
And mostly snowy/ icy....
Bud
Old 01-16-10, 12:44 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In spite of doing regular (2-3 times a week) intervals on the trainer to keep in shape, it seems that riding in the winter just isn't for me. I've tried two club rides this winter in "milder" weather (upper 20s/low 30s F) & had to drop out both times.

Oh well. We're going for Florida for the month of February & I'm taking the Super Le Tour with me.
Old 01-16-10, 04:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeeze, I was being funny about forcast 52ºF,today, Just got back from 23mile ride and its 57º at 3PM....
Guess its Makin' up for the -9;ºs....
Bud
Old 01-16-10, 04:20 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
It flirted with 50 today so I hit it: 20 glorious leisurely miles where I was not hypothermic at the end
Old 01-17-10, 10:49 AM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I think everyone has their own personal "temperature limit". I have noticed that as I age, my tolerance for biting cold does seem to be getting less robust. This is going to be somewhat problematic, since I'm looking at Portland, Maine as a retirement place. Nice summers though!
Old 01-18-10, 10:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
I think everyone has their own personal "temperature limit". I have noticed that as I age, my tolerance for biting cold does seem to be getting less robust. This is going to be somewhat problematic, since I'm looking at Portland, Maine as a retirement place. Nice summers though!
NICE neat convenient excuse. Yet.... the cold getting into one's 'head' is the problem with this logic.

DRESS for it.... need some motivation? Go sit in the entry way of your local clinic.. watch all the ******es woddling in.. Type 2ers I think of them.. jelly bellys and NO fitness a-tall. Exercise?? Not the most of them.. fork time is their exercise.

Yea... I sound a mite harsh here. Yet I imagine the air is cold too 6' under>>>>>>..
Old 01-18-10, 10:31 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
From my recent experience, it seems that hands and feet are my limiting factors. They get too cold much below 15. We're talking frostbite not discomfort. Even with ski gloves over neoprene gloves. I've got to find some better answers that work on my recumbent.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-18-10, 04:34 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
One good thing about living in the South is that I don't have to wait too long for the weather to be nice enough for my wimpy limits of cold weather riding. If it stayed very cold for very long, I would have to equip myself for serious cold weather riding to avoid months of trainer riding. But I rarely have to wait more than a week or two for a beautiful day like today to come along. Sunny, mid 60s and calm wind. Nice enough for a morning MTB ride and an afternoon road ride.
Old 01-18-10, 10:54 PM
Tony V

Bikes: Apollo Mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its nice and sunny here in Sydney(sorry)(no I'm not!!)
Old 01-19-10, 05:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember when 65 was my limit. Then got some arm and leg warmers and went lower. Added some more gear and 50 was the limit. You know how it goes. Then 40. Then 30. Went out last Saturday on a sunny 43 degree and damn it was warm! I may have to move north of the border for the summer. LOL.