Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Who wants to race?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Who wants to race?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-10, 10:24 PM
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Thomas Moore wrote of his Beginner Class experience. Links are at the top of this page: https://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/pag...erprogram.html
Old 12-29-10, 10:32 PM
packing shed cassanova

Location: can be found with the traffic in the streets of fresno ca.

Bikes: 07 bianchi pista, 09 mercier kilo tt, 09 masi speciale fixed LTD, late 80s masi nuova strada, full campy gruppo, 89 centurion accordo, 88 peugeot versallies, 93 faggin 14 speed full shimano 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
carleton do you know how long the classes are at hellyer? also how much does it cost?
Old 12-29-10, 10:38 PM
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by peach-picker
carleton do you know how long the classes are at hellyer? also how much does it cost?
Check here >>> https://www.ridethetrack.com/

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 12-29-10, 10:45 PM
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 432 Posts
List of velodromes in the USA

Here's a list of all active velodromes in the USA on the definitive website for track racing fixedgearfever >>> https://www.fixedgearfever.com/module...op=list&cid=us

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 12-30-10, 12:53 AM

Bikes: Wilier Izoard, Tricross FG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
The New England Velodrome in Londonderry, New Hampshire is less than 50 miles from you straight up I93 >>> https://www.fixedgearfever.com/module...howtrack&id=31
Nice, thanks! I may need to go and check it out one of these days.

Originally Posted by Vixtor
Actually, I am planning to go to the velodrome tonight to watch the Burnaby 4, so it'll be fun.

As for racing, I've always been interested in taking the Learn To Ride classes there, but I have been really lazy to sign up. It's only like 9ish miles away too.
Dammit! I'm in Vancouver on vacation but am leaving tomorrow. Wish I had known that the Burnaby 4 was taking place! Hope you had a blast.
Old 12-30-10, 02:44 AM
GONE~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ride there was brutal, cold, hilly but holy ****, the races were such a thrill!!! It was the best five bucks I've ever spent.

Not too many people rode out there but it was worth it. I might go again but tomorrow's schedule is not as tasty as today's.
Old 12-30-10, 08:51 AM
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I trained several times on the Encino Velodrome while I was road racing. That was so much more thrilling than a crit. I liked it, but it´s still a pain in the ass to get to the velodrome and I dont have a track frame. I´d like to at least try out the Home Depot Center track, a real olympic track
Old 12-30-10, 11:26 AM
Elitist

Originally Posted by hairnet
I trained several times on the Encino Velodrome while I was road racing. That was so much more thrilling than a crit. I liked it, but it´s still a pain in the ass to get to the velodrome and I dont have a track frame. I´d like to at least try out the Home Depot Center track, a real olympic track
I've ridden Home Depot, it's a great track. 250M and 44 degrees of fun...plus it's indoors. That's a MAJOR plus.
Old 12-30-10, 01:42 PM
Elitist

So, to clarify, when I wrote that local track racing may seem like:

but is more like:

It still feels like this when you are out there:

And that's all that matters!

Everything is relative.

Last edited by carleton; 12-30-10 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-30-10, 01:48 PM
Elitist

The ride there was brutal, cold, hilly but holy ****, the races were such a thrill!!! It was the best five bucks I've ever spent.

Not too many people rode out there but it was worth it. I might go again but tomorrow's schedule is not as tasty as today's.
I wish I could have gone. You got to see some great racers. Especially the women. Tara Whitten, Sara Hammer, and Jennie Reed are World Champions and Olympians.

Here are some nice photos by one of the racers who took some snaps when he wasn't racing: https://www.flickr.com/photos/otbphoto/
Old 12-30-10, 02:54 PM
GONE~

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The point race was crazy...Tara gained a lap on the field solo...lots of attacks from Hammer...IT WAS CRAZY I SAY!

I said hi to Sarah too but she didn't noticed.
Old 12-30-10, 05:34 PM

Bikes: several

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm one stem and five months away from this. https://www.nscsports.org/sports/cycl...ntro_class.htm
Old 01-03-11, 03:29 PM
Zen Student

Bikes: Colnago Crystal road, Lotus road, Dawes SST-AL fixed gear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2.5 hours each way for Major Taylor looks like the closest. Maybe when we thaw out I'll make a day trip out of it.
Old 01-04-11, 01:53 PM
I go I go I go I go I go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want to go to there! Looks like there's The Alpenrose Velodrome in PDX, is that the only one? Anyone go there? I'm interested in giving it a go. Carleton you have interested me
Old 01-04-11, 03:51 PM
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 105 Posts
There is also Marymoore (sp?) in Redmond Wa. but Alpenrose is closer.

BTW. Props to Carleton for growing the sport!
Old 01-04-11, 07:14 PM

Bikes: Schwinn, Bottecchia, Miyata, projects

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would love to try a beginner course at a velodrome, but the only one in my state is four hours away.
Old 01-05-11, 10:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hellyer is $5 to take a lesson, $5 to rent (Bring your own pedals). Well worth the money, the instructors are fun, very mindful of levels, and it's just a great experience. If it wasn't 3.5 hours away, I'd be going every week.
Old 01-05-11, 12:12 PM

Bikes: IRO Mark V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live about 5 miles away from the Velodrome in Baton Rouge. I pass it every day on my commute. They dont offer any classes, but I've been with a friend that knew his stuff when it was pretty dead one day and messed around. It was fun, and a really good workout. I'll probably start going more often. It depends on how busy I get with classes.
Old 01-05-11, 01:37 PM

Bikes: klein quantum, litespeed tuscany, bianchi pista concept, centurion comp ta, centurion super le mans, traitor ringleader

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ive actually really wanted to try riding @ a velodrome, take beginner classes, etc. but the closest, Hellyer, is more than 1.5 hour drive away.

ill still try to get there somehow at one point. if it was a half hour away i would be going every week. my roommate is into fixed gear bikes too but is more of the hipster/tarck side and im not sure he would be interested. might ask though.
Old 01-05-11, 02:32 PM
omgmarclol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If any city of Chicago people are interested in racing or need a ride up to Northbrook for Thursday or Friday night racing or for Monday night clinics during the season...as well as the occasional race up in Kenosha feel free to contact me. It's always nice to see new faces.
Old 01-05-11, 02:45 PM
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm from the suburbs of Chicago, but I'm away at college for most of the year. I might be interested if I end up in the area for the summer, though it's still about an hour from my house. I don't know if I'm prepared to get into racing, but it'd be fun to ride around/train. Is it free to go when the track is open to the public (no programs are running/in field isn't being used)?

Last edited by yummygooey; 01-05-11 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-05-11, 03:04 PM
omgmarclol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes. northbrook is open to the public when there aren't any practices or programs being held
Old 01-05-11, 03:34 PM
Elitist

Originally Posted by MuppetMower
I live about 5 miles away from the Velodrome in Baton Rouge. I pass it every day on my commute. They dont offer any classes, but I've been with a friend that knew his stuff when it was pretty dead one day and messed around. It was fun, and a really good workout. I'll probably start going more often. It depends on how busy I get with classes.
Baton Rouge just renovated and re-opened. I hear that it's really nice. I think things are a bit unorganized right now, but they are working on getting it together. Maybe you can help

It's a GREAT facility.

There is limited info here: https://web.mac.com/williamcheramie/W...velodrome.html

Here is the calendar of events (it's updated sometimes): https://ical.mac.com/WebObjects/iCal.....velodrome.ics

I would show up when things are on the calender and just say "Hi. I'm ____. I want to learn how to race out here." I'm sure they would love the support. They are trying to grow the scene down there.
Old 01-05-11, 04:31 PM

Bikes: Motobecane Track, Specialized Demo8, Trek FuelEX8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I am planning to go to the velodrome tonight to watch the Burnaby 4, so it'll be fun.

As for racing, I've always been interested in taking the Learn To Ride classes there, but I have been really lazy to sign up. It's only like 9ish miles away too.
I'll sign up for Learn To Ride if Vixtor signs up.
Old 01-05-11, 06:12 PM
GONE~

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude dude dude dude!!! Several of my friends are talking about signing up for LTR too, maybe it just might happen soon.

We'll see...we'll see.

The problem is, none of us drive and it'd be a total drag to go there on a bike during the winter. Maybe we'll just bus...we'll see how things go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.