Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

He actually did it... pitbull pedals

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

He actually did it... pitbull pedals

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-21, 04:53 PM
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
I had real trouble engaging last night. Then I realised I had road pedals on the training bike and and mtb pedals on my feet.

These would be awful for BMX what with all the crashing and all.
It's for going faster. Doesn't the crashing apply to road bikes too?

Most riders who've graduated to at least Intermediate class try clipless at some point - Novice racers (less than 10 wins) are not allowed to use them. It's a pretty big advantage to be able to pull up on the back pedal on the start gate and to be able to spin faster because of the foot retention (and therefore use a slightly lower gear to go faster at the start)

Most use MTB pedals because they have to walk a bunch around the track, but lots have tried road pedals as they're looking for tighter hold. Easier clipping in while balancing standing still on the gate (and the potential to clip back in if you lose a pedal) would be the reason this would be attractive.
Old 05-03-21, 08:52 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Liked 7,682 Times in 3,085 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Lol I know it's not a walking shoe but that was in the context of comparing it to other road cleats. It looks like that thingy that clips to the pedal hangs down pretty low.
A neutral party opinion:
The most egregious issue with these cleats is the profile on the shoe. These cleats stick out much more than standard road cleats, and those are a pain already. Because this was a prototype set, I refrained from walking around as much as possible.

I found it extremely difficult to walk into the office or a coffee shop wearing the cleats. The cleats protrude quite far from the front of the foot, so you can’t even feign a normal gait.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-04-21, 08:03 AM
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
A neutral party opinion:
I'm not planning to buy these - I was simply surprised to see it show up on Cycling Weekly. That said, their initial review noted how easy they were to walk in. From the cycling weekly initial impressions:

The cleat itself is made from a durable glass-filled nylon polymer, and the shape allows the rider to walk with ease when off the bike, which is a happy by-product of the system.
Old 05-04-21, 04:13 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,558 Times in 1,022 Posts
Doesn't it seem that a lot of the walking issues with cleated shoes, stems from the fact that the shoe makers don't build up the heels to be the same height as your typical mounted cleat? I guess it makes the product listing's weight statistic look better.
Old 05-04-21, 05:22 PM
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Liked 736 Times in 375 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Doesn't it seem that a lot of the walking issues with cleated shoes, stems from the fact that the shoe makers don't build up the heels to be the same height as your typical mounted cleat? I guess it makes the product listing's weight statistic look better.
You want us to wear high heels and Lycra?
Old 05-04-21, 05:29 PM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,169 Times in 4,253 Posts
you want us to wear high heels and lycra?
nttawwt
Likes For datlas:
Old 05-04-21, 05:30 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

You want us to wear high heels and Lycra?
You're either all-in or not a player
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-05-21, 05:48 PM

Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Many of the replies in this thread remind me of when I showed up to a club ride in 1985 with Look petals.
Old 05-06-21, 11:54 AM

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Cycling weekly looks like they are going to feature us in tech of the month !!
Old 05-06-21, 12:47 PM

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Funny that you mentioned that. Earlier on we were playing around with shoe ideas and flattening out the bottom. This is a picture of just an early, early prototype that we had made up. But the more that we thought about it we are roadies and not walkers/runners/dancers. Do we really need to be able to walk perfectly? So we stopped pursuing the idea of the shoe. Our new pit bull cleat though is pretty easy to walk in as it only has 1 horizontal rubber pad to step forward on.
Likes For Pitbull pedal:
Old 05-06-21, 05:02 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Liked 7,682 Times in 3,085 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitbull pedal
... the more that we thought about it we are roadies and not walkers/runners/dancers. Do we really need to be able to walk perfectly?
Flippant answers are always a good marketing strategy.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-06-21, 05:45 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Flippant answers are always a good marketing strategy.
Winner! But there's no prize tonight. Check again tomorrow