Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Rear Blinky no go on helmet!!!!!

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Rear Blinky no go on helmet!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-09, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One steady light plus reflector on the rear fender is all I use, driven by a dynamo. Blinking bike lights aren't allowed in Europe, I assume for good reason. I suppose it's hard to track where someone is riding if the light is blinking or moving.
Old 12-11-09, 02:25 AM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by genman
One steady light plus reflector on the rear fender is all I use, driven by a dynamo. Blinking bike lights aren't allowed in Europe, I assume for good reason. I suppose it's hard to track where someone is riding if the light is blinking or moving.
Based on my own observations, I don't buy the hard-to-track hypothesis, and they do catch the eye and send the "not-a-motor-vehicle" signal, which I think is of great value because the motorists can then react accordingly, if they actually have their brain switched on The UK has now explicitly OK'ed blinking taillights for bikes, or so I hear.
Old 12-11-09, 09:41 AM
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alaris
I'm an avid cyclist, love the sport. But for the life of me, WHY do folks want to endanger their lives while riding in the dark?? I had a similar situation to the one described by the OP on a heavily driven road in my hometown. The rider in this case had no reflective gear, no bright clothes, no front light, and of course a backpack and a partially hidden blinky light. The time of day was past dusk and extremely dangerous.

I'm sure folks will disagree but riding in the dark is asking for trouble. Yes I hate the days are shorter - it sucks. BUT a life is more important than riding in the dark.
Thinking about this a bit more, I think that one can reasonably argue that a well lit cyclist is more visible/noticeable in the dark than during the day since he/she might have more contrast with respect to the environment.
Old 12-14-09, 06:27 AM

Bikes: Cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lit up

Originally Posted by mechBgon
The rider you used as an example is certainly "asking for trouble," but if one is equipped for the circumstances, it may be just as safe or safer to ride in the dark. A recent demo video I shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThwjZ6j11mc I go out about 1/2 mile, then turn around. You wouldn't be likely to see me from nearly as far in daylight as you can in the dark.
And I thought I was lit up like a Xmas tree at night! Recently I have raised the amount of lights/ reflectors on me and the bike to about double what they were after getting clipped by a cadillac cts (pearl white) while riding in the bike lane on a WIDE road at 5:15 in the AM. I think it was deliberate but the drivers excuse to the cop (if they got caught) would probably be something, "like I couldn't see her". And my excuse for riding in the dark is, It's winter and I work from 5-5. I ride to and from work in the dark. Of course I could walk but it takes longer....
Donna