Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Down With 'Avid Cyclists'

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Down With 'Avid Cyclists'

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 10:30 AM

Bikes: Tons

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Am I still allowed to use Avid brakes and stuff?
ooh, good point. I have a bike with Avid brakes... I don't wanna remove 'em.
Old 03-29-10, 10:55 AM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Great, great.... someone has a different outlook than you, so you ridicule and marginalize them? Isn't that what the motorists do to cyclists?
You took it wrong... those colorful cyclists (and I am one from time to time) tend to define the public's view of cycling, yet in reality represent a small portion of cycling overall. There are really more utility (read: sidewalk) cyclists out there daily going from A to B, but these cyclists are viewed as "poor," "alcoholic," "student" or "damaged" in some way.

Trying to normalize cycling as something any and all of us citizens can do is difficult, due to the colorful, vocal few.

Personally I fit all the categories from time to time... colorful club cyclist, fred, even poor looking "damaged" cyclist, and more... all depending on which bike and what I happen to be wearing at the moment. I really am an avid cyclist, but I defy definition. (and I am amazed at the reactions that I as a "person on a bike" get depending on the public role I happen to fit at any moment.)

Being a truly avid cyclist, I also see the advantages for encouraging cycling by nearly any and all cycling facilities... especially in our very very motorist centric society.
Old 03-29-10, 11:07 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 670 Times in 511 Posts
Maybe I'm just tired, but this thread seems like one strawman argument after another, trying to support or negate the original stereotype-based perspective.
Old 03-29-10, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Enthusiastic Female Opera Star: Avid Diva
Old 03-29-10, 11:56 AM

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think it's useful to examine why a person would choose to ride a bike if they do not find cycling itself inherently enjoyable enough to become and "avid" cyclist.

If cycling is faster than walking and a car is unavailable, they might ride a bike.

If cycling is faster than driving a car because parking (or some other required resource) is unavailable, they might ride a bike.

If it's a beautiful day and being inside a car is unappealing, they might ride a bike.

I think it's easy for cycling to look "normal" under conditions such as these. It's outside of such conditions that cyclists tend to fall into the two groups of "avid" and "involuntary."

Some would suggest taking steps to make motoring far less convenient and far more expensive, to tilt everyman's transportation choices in favor of cycling. But this is not a mainstream political view, and is probably harder for many "normal" people to accept than for them to understand and respect that some people just like riding bikes.
Old 03-29-10, 12:19 PM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sggoodri
.....Some would suggest taking steps to make motoring far less convenient and far more expensive, to tilt everyman's transportation choices in favor of cycling. But this is not a mainstream political view, and is probably harder for many "normal" people to accept than for them to understand and respect that some people just like riding bikes.
Oh, Portland, Oregon has neither made motoring 'far less' convenient' or 'far more' expensive than the rest of the country, yet the have an incredibly high rider share for a large north american city. what's the secret? its not in cost prohibitions to motoring! Thats' not a necessary step to inculcating high rider share.

What do seem to be necessary components? Thoughtful urban land use and consideration of bike traffic in the transportation mix. with the majority of americans and canadians living in suburban or urbanized settings, more thoughtful consideration of how bikes transect the urban grid is a necessary component in building road ridership without adding too much 'avid' to the mix.

sure, bikes and cars mix just fine on 50mph speedways.....

Originally Posted by highroller
in places where cycling is inconvenient (especially compared to motoring) and avid cyclists are the majority of people who cycle, the problem isn't the avid cyclists.
embolding mine. there is a problem with the transportation paradigm if 'cycling is inconvenient' compared to motoring. change the conditions to inculcate different transportation modes. do not kowtow to the automobile. Transportation secretary Ron LaHood recently announced such a change in vision at the Transportation department..

The avidness of the cyclist has very little to do with making a road amenable to bicycling~

a problem with the american road network, overall, is the typical conditions require a certain amount of 'avid' that blocks and restricts greater populist participation in bicycling.

if there's only avid cyclists cycling, there's a problem with the transportation infrastructure, not a problem with the cyclists or the public.

Last edited by Bekologist; 03-29-10 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 02:46 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Notice that Bek is saying the same thing that I am, yet presents his post as if he is in disagreement. Odd.

Like I said, land use planning that places typical trip endpoints closer together is essential to encouraging cycling by those who are not "avid" cyclists, or "enthusiasts." I spent 6 years on my city planning and zoning board trying to promote this before I term-limited out.

I have also spent a lot of effort trying to improve local street connectivity to provide pleasant street connections between adjacent complementary land uses like homes and shops. Bek writes about the "urban grid" but in many suburban areas there is nothing remotely similar to a well connected grid; the few through roads connecting dissimilar land use types may be 50mph arterials which we all agree are undesirable to most casual cyclists.

I've also written in the past that well-designed paths with minimal at-grade street crossings (such as rail trails and paths alongside water features) attract casual cyclists and are good things to provide where practical. I ride such paths often while avoiding poorly designed "sidepath" type facilities.

But after these efforts are taken, and the convenience of cycling has been maximized, the volume of cycling will still not be as high as some bicycle advocates want. Only where motoring becomes less convenient and affordable than in the average US suburb do cycling mode shares really climb. This is why we see peak utility cycling in the US around universities - parking is scarce and/or inconvenient, motor traffic speeds are slow, and automobile ownership is less affordable to students than to other people.

I neither oppose nor promote efforts to make motoring less convenient and affordable as a cycling advocacy policy (although I do support a number of specific constraints on motoring where such may be required to protect safety, security, community values, etc.). However, I do note that most people who are not avid cyclists are not anti-car and do not support efforts to make cycling less convenient or affordable. Therefore, it seems unlikely that anti-car planning and engineering efforts will be acceptable to non-avid cyclists and thus not politically viable.
Old 03-29-10, 02:49 PM
genec

I think it's useful to examine why a person would choose to ride a bike if they do not find cycling itself inherently enjoyable enough to become and "avid" cyclist.

If cycling is faster than walking and a car is unavailable, they might ride a bike.

If cycling is faster than driving a car because parking (or some other required resource) is unavailable, they might ride a bike.

If it's a beautiful day and being inside a car is unappealing, they might ride a bike.

I think it's easy for cycling to look "normal" under conditions such as these. It's outside of such conditions that cyclists tend to fall into the two groups of "avid" and "involuntary."

Some would suggest taking steps to make motoring far less convenient and far more expensive, to tilt everyman's transportation choices in favor of cycling. But this is not a mainstream political view, and is probably harder for many "normal" people to accept than for them to understand and respect that some people just like riding bikes.
Here's the thing. I have been cited by some "cycling advocates" as being one of those people you mention that apparently wants to make motoring "less convenient.

And frankly what it really comes down to is this... I just want to put cycling on the same foot as motoring... (odd metaphor there).

I don't want to make motoring "less convenient," but I do think we need to quit acting as if motoring is ALL we should do. That lack of transportation diversity will and has hit us where it hurts time and time again... and yet as a society, we tend to focus on the private individual motor vehicle for any and all transportation needs.

Bottom line, don't make it less convenient, but quit kowtowing to ONLY the motor vehicle. If there is free parking downtown for cars, there should be free parking for bikes. If there is covered parking for cars, there should be covered parking for bikes. Is there a car wash, where then is the body wash? (showers) If the road is designed like a raceway with high speeds and large radius turns, where is the bike expressway...

In this country we need transportation diversity to match our people diversity. This country is a melting pot of people, but you "HAVE" to drive.
Old 03-29-10, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
lose the neon vest, the helmet and the expensive, uncomfortable, temperamental, featherweight bicycle and maybe people will start to 'get it'. the whole idea that you need anything besides a properly equipped comfortable upright bicycle with the basics like lights, fenders and a basket - and not a fancy kit, brain bucket and an unobtanium racing machine - is where the fail begins
I agree....all the odd clothing and equipment is seen as a barrier to entry-- another excuse not to get on the bike.... when actually all a bike is is transportation that you can use to get to work and carry small loads. and you should be able to do that in regular street clothes.

now if you're actually RACING bicycles, I can maybe see the advantages of the specialized/odd clothing... but for most people, you just don't need it.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me

Last edited by rando; 03-29-10 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 03:33 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
You took it wrong...
Oops... You're right. And I pretty much agree with the rest of what you said.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-29-10, 03:55 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
I don't want to make motoring "less convenient," but I do think we need to quit acting as if motoring is ALL we should do. That lack of transportation diversity will and has hit us where it hurts time and time again... and yet as a society, we tend to focus on the private individual motor vehicle for any and all transportation needs.

Bottom line, don't make it less convenient, but quit kowtowing to ONLY the motor vehicle.
My frustration over abysmal conditions for pedestrians in NC (lack of sidewalks on very busy roads, lack of any crossing accommodations at intersections or elsewhere, extremely inconvenient street topology, physical barriers to direct walking routes between adjacent buildings, etc.) is the passion that put me on our city's P&Z board. It's long been my opinion that a great deal could be done to facilitate better non-motorized transportation without being anti-car.

I found the engineering problems for cycling to be more subtle than the pedestrian facility challenges. Land use and route efficiency were important, as well as better passing facilities on arterials, alternate routes, bike parking, signal detection, and so forth. But many of the local disincentives to cycling transportation were culturally based, such as harassment from motorists and lifestyle choices. To keep my message politically viable, I have to walk a fine line between protecting choice in transportation and recognizing the popularity of motoring. Disparage motoring and the anti-bicyclist harassment increases; talk about preserving fair choices and the politicians will talk to you.
Old 03-29-10, 03:57 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Am I still allowed to use Avid brakes and stuff?
See, you are an avid cyclist, because you have holy/holey rotors.
Old 03-29-10, 04:08 PM
genec

My frustration over abysmal conditions for pedestrians in NC (lack of sidewalks on very busy roads, lack of any crossing accommodations at intersections or elsewhere, extremely inconvenient street topology, physical barriers to direct walking routes between adjacent buildings, etc.) is the passion that put me on our city's P&Z board. It's long been my opinion that a great deal could be done to facilitate better non-motorized transportation without being anti-car.

I found the engineering problems for cycling to be more subtle than the pedestrian facility challenges. Land use and route efficiency were important, as well as better passing facilities on arterials, alternate routes, bike parking, signal detection, and so forth. But many of the local disincentives to cycling transportation were culturally based, such as harassment from motorists and lifestyle choices. To keep my message politically viable, I have to walk a fine line between protecting choice in transportation and recognizing the popularity of motoring. Disparage motoring and the anti-bicyclist harassment increases; talk about preserving fair choices and the politicians will talk to you.
I understand the fine line... to that end, you might also consider other transportation alternatives... such as various forms of mass transit... non oil based of course.

It IS all about "transportation diversity."
Old 03-29-10, 04:58 PM
Warning:Mild Peril

Bikes: Cilo, Surly Pacer, Kona Fire Mountain w/Bob Trailer, Scattante

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rando
I agree....all the odd clothing and equipment is seen as a barrier to entry-- another excuse not to get on the bike.... when actually all a bike is is transportation that you can use to get to work and carry small loads. and you should be able to do that in regular street clothes.

now if you're actually RACING bicycles, I can maybe see the advantages of the specialized/odd clothing... but for most people, you just don't need it.
I just don't get how it's anyone's business what I, or any other cyclist wears, whether they're racing or not. I ride because I want to ride and any of the many benefits are ancillary. I certainly don't ride to encourage or discourage any form of transportation and I don't recall signing anything to that effect 30 years ago when I straddled my first Huffy. I personally call BS if someone doesn't want to ride and they it's because someone else rides a nice bike or wears funny clothes it's a pretty lame excuse. The truth is that someone people just don't want to ride and they don't want to come out and say that it's hard, or they really don't feel like it.
And yes, Avid cyclists die, so do sidewalk cyclists, and you know who experiences quite a few deaths, motorists. But no one ever writes in a daily driver's obit that they were an Avid Motorist.
If you want to argue for increased bicycle infrastructure and education I'm all for that. I agree with Bek that it is because of such investments that more people ride in hilly/rainy Seattle and less in sunny/flat Los Angeles. But just because I choose to ride a nice bike with a little Lycra without such infrastructure investments shouldn't be an excuse why someone else can't get off their bottoms and do the exact same thing in a manner that suits them.
Old 03-29-10, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I said it wrong. I just think that the more cyclists people see in regular clothes, doing regular stuff, the more it might dawn on them that they, too, can do this. the racing gear and helmets look wierd to most people, leading people to think riding a bike is a wierd activity and not for them... but that's just my opinion, and that and a couple bucks will get you a cup of coffee!

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 03-29-10, 05:59 PM

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Treespeed
I just don't get how it's anyone's business what I, or any other cyclist wears, whether they're racing or not. I ride because I want to ride and any of the many benefits are ancillary. I certainly don't ride to encourage or discourage any form of transportation and I don't recall signing anything to that effect 30 years ago when I straddled my first Huffy. I personally call BS if someone doesn't want to ride and they it's because someone else rides a nice bike or wears funny clothes it's a pretty lame excuse. The truth is that someone people just don't want to ride and they don't want to come out and say that it's hard, or they really don't feel like it.
And yes, Avid cyclists die, so do sidewalk cyclists, and you know who experiences quite a few deaths, motorists. But no one ever writes in a daily driver's obit that they were an Avid Motorist.
If you want to argue for increased bicycle infrastructure and education I'm all for that. I agree with Bek that it is because of such investments that more people ride in hilly/rainy Seattle and less in sunny/flat Los Angeles. But just because I choose to ride a nice bike with a little Lycra without such infrastructure investments shouldn't be an excuse why someone else can't get off their bottoms and do the exact same thing in a manner that suits them.
it's because people perceive the expensive bike and silly clothes as being a barrier to entry - or, alternatively, as an excuse not to participate.
Old 03-29-10, 06:08 PM
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What a silly shell game. It isn't original either... "avid cyclists" are used as straw men by so many nouveau advocacy groups it's just a cliche - and skin deep at that.

Let us examine the downfall of the fair-weather utility cyclist, truly avid cyclists will always be around. The way I see it, when somebody white-washes the avid cyclist as the source of our troubles they are simply talking about a symptom not curing the disease.

Surely the avid cyclist did not kill cycling culture, but this is what such articles assume. They lambaste the only people out there riding their f'n bikes on the road in some uber-motorized towns and cities.

Next we'll be shouting down with the "poor" in the hopes of curing poverty.

Last edited by electrik; 03-29-10 at 07:08 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-29-10, 06:11 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
See, you are an avid cyclist, because you have holy/holey rotors.
Bicycle, do you need to be stopped?
Do you WANT to be stopped?
THEN STOP THYSELF!

whew, that was amazing. anyone got a smoke?
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-29-10, 06:15 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
What a silly shell game. It isn't original either... "avid cyclists" are used as straw men by so many nouveau advocacy groups it's just a cliche - and skin deep at that.

Let us examine the downfall of the fair-weather utility cyclist, truly avid cyclists will always be around. The way I see it, when somebody white-washes the avid cyclist as the source of our troubles they are simply talking about a symptom not curing the disease.

Surly the avid cyclist did not kill cycling culture, but this is what such articles assume. They lambaste the only people out there riding their f'n bikes on the road in some uber-motorized towns and cities.

Next we'll be shouting down with the "poor" in the hopes of curing poverty.
You're right...it's the safety nannies we should be blaming.
SOMEBODY GET A ROPE...AND WEAR YOUR HELMET, IT'S SLIPPERY IN THEM THAR TREES!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-29-10, 06:42 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2388 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 1,601 Posts
IMHO

There are 3 types of cyclists:

Avid: meaning people like use who like, love and ride bikes.....regardless of clothes. The guy who commutes in khakis and polo shirt on his english 3 speed like bike, because he likes bikes, like to commute, to sees the benefit overall, etc (me) is just as avid a biker as the guy who puts on the cycle clothes, and goes out on training rides on the weekend (me again)

Occaisonal The people who have bikes and get them out once or twice a year to ride, mostly on weekends and only for fun.

Necessity: People who have to ride because that is there only option for whatever reason (finances, no drivers license (teenagers fit here also, not just people who have lost licenses) ......while there is some crossover (like when I didn't have a car when I first moved to California many years ago) generally this bunch drops bikes once they can.

To get more people riding there are many things that will make a difference, but what really needs to be done is to add some necessity to the occaisonal to get more bikes out.... some of whom will become avid, and others just people who use bikes. And this happens as countrys develop also....

The only thing that will really force this is a comination financial pressures and personal benefit timewise...higher gas prices, no free parking at work, commute take less than time than driving, etc

More infrstrucure will not hurt, and will move some occaisonal bikers to avid, but overall it is only part of what is needed.

(soap box time: Blaming Lycra clad cyclists, or those who choose to wear a helmet (or those who chose to not wear a helmet), or people who choose to be seen is totally counter productive. the cycling community is not homogenous and thankfully never will be.... off the soap box)

Old 03-29-10, 06:57 PM
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You're right...it's the safety nannies we should be blaming.
SOMEBODY GET A ROPE...AND WEAR YOUR HELMET, IT'S SLIPPERY IN THEM THAR TREES!
Wait, i think we'll need a permit and some insurance first... TO THE CITY HALL!!!
Old 03-29-10, 07:03 PM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
it's because people perceive the expensive bike and silly clothes as being a barrier to entry - or, alternatively, as an excuse not to participate.
And you think that people who enjoy cycling but do it differently than you should cater to these idiots who use that as an excuse? Right

Also, my bike isn't expensive. My house is expensive. I piss almost my bike's retail cost away in taxes every year due to owning a home. That's not counting mortgage interest which would buy me a nice used car every year (my house is still the best investment of my money that I've ever made though).

And I think Ed Hardy t-shirts and D&G sunglasses are silly. Do you think that I think anyone who wears those items really cares about my opinion? I'm not nearly that conceited to believe that. Why do you feel the need to keep spouting your opinion about other people's cycling gear?
Old 03-29-10, 07:26 PM
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Seriously, what is wrong with people? I ride my bike because I want to. I dress funny and ride my 'uncomfortable' bike because I want to. I don't ride the kind of bike these people want me to nor do I do it because they want me too. I have never once used my bike for anything other than recreation. I never intend to. I drive my car to go get things, take them back to my home and consume them.

I, in these peoples minds, am the problem. Why can't they ride their bikes the way they want too and I'll ride mine the way I want too? What is the problem? I truly think some of these people would like nothing better than seeing everyone in the world wearing gray pajamas and grinding away on old rusty cruisers.. compliance is mandatory.
Old 03-29-10, 07:37 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I try to ride in casual clothes for some bike trips, partly to save time changing clothes and to blend in at my destinations, but also to advertise practical, casual cycling. For most of these rides, I'm either running an errand to the store a mile away, or I'm pulling my 6 yo son on the Burley Kazoo on the way to Dairy Queen. I'm hoping that some people who see me think: "Hey, I could do that! What a nice day for it!"

When I ride in casual clothes, I don't exert myself as much, but I still try to set a good example by operating according to my normal vehicular, defensive bicycle driving style. I also ride my lovingly-maintained 1983 Trek 500 road bike, since I find it to be less effort than the MTB, and because I've equipped it for utility cycling.

Sometimes, while riding in casual clothes, I'll see a lycra-clad roadie and wish I could communicate to him or her that I'm an avid roadie too, but all I can do is wave. Some of the roadies over 40 will recognize my vintage Trek and show some curiosity towards it, and that is satisfying enough.
Old 03-29-10, 07:47 PM
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The writer of the article in the OP is assuming that the media and society tag all cyclists as avid. A quick google news search for the term "avid cyclist" turns up 101 hits, or 132 if you allow the terms to appear separately (+cyclist +avid). Searching for the term cyclist while excluding the word avid (+cyclist -avid) lands 3,120 hits.

At work about four of us commute by bike through the winter, and maybe half of us bike to work in the summer. I don't think that I have ever heard any of my co-workers use the term avid cyclist. I think the only time I ever hear the phrase is by people using it to describe themselves. If someone is ardent, devoted, or passionate about cycling, what's the harm in describing them as avid? What term should be used instead that will allow them to show their devotion, but not marginalize cycling (like the word avid allegedly does)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.