Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Would You Stop A Bike Thief That Is Just Like You Or Even A Beautiful Girl?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Would You Stop A Bike Thief That Is Just Like You Or Even A Beautiful Girl?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I'm going to have to watch these when I get home.

Another question this brings up for me, comes from a thread I read in the commuting forum. Somebody said that many bike thieves will put their own U-lock on your bike while you're in the store, then come back at 3 am under the relative safety of the night. If I came to a bike rack and saw somebody hacking away at a lock, saying that somebody else had locked their bike, I don't think I'd believe them ... but if it happened to me, what would I do? I certainly don't ride around with the receipt to my bike, so I'd have a hard time convincing anybody else it was mine, too.
Old 07-07-10, 03:25 AM
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I'm going to have to watch these when I get home.

Another question this brings up for me, comes from a thread I read in the commuting forum. Somebody said that many bike thieves will put their own U-lock on your bike while you're in the store, then come back at 3 am under the relative safety of the night. If I came to a bike rack and saw somebody hacking away at a lock, saying that somebody else had locked their bike, I don't think I'd believe them ... but if it happened to me, what would I do? I certainly don't ride around with the receipt to my bike, so I'd have a hard time convincing anybody else it was mine, too.
Well, where I live bicycles are licensed so it would be easy enough to call 911 and report it to the police. They can check the records and verify you are the owner. They do remove and impound bicycles that are illegally parked even when they are locked so they might even remove the lock for you.
Old 07-07-10, 09:45 AM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by akohekohe
Well, where I live bicycles are licensed so it would be easy enough to call 911 and report it to the police. They can check the records and verify you are the owner. They do remove and impound bicycles that are illegally parked even when they are locked so they might even remove the lock for you.
Even if it's not licensed, I think most cops would believe you if you reported it as stolen before you took the lock off. It just doesn't seem that likely that a thief would call the police to help him steal a bike. Besides, most cops don't really care who owns a bike or who steals one.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-07-10, 10:21 AM
Banana-tastic!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 07-20-10, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi

There's no doubt that it's not about bikes, but about stereotyping instead. And as a white male, I'm pretty embarrassed..

So apologize.
Old 07-20-10, 03:24 PM

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Police response to a crime in progress around here is usually under three minutes. I'd call it in as suspicious activity, and let them sort it out. If it really is the "thief's" bike, they'll have better tools available, and will usually help out if for no other reason than to stop anyone else from calling it in. If I'm driving, I usually have my DSLR with a 300mm lens, so I can sit back a ways and still get really good photos from a safe distance.

Sure, either way I have a handgun on me, and usually pepper spray too, but simple theft in the daytime isn't a force-justifying situation, and as long as I can get the guy caught in the act, it's a lot cheaper than any of the things that can go wrong if I confront him.

Call it in, give a statement if needed, go home. Confront, and even if there's no contact, he might still claim assault, causing a lot of hassle. While working security, I've been accused of "smacking" a drunk trespasser with a big Mag light when the cops knew full well that all I had on me was a 2AA pocket light, he had no injuries whatsoever, and didn't make the claim until after he'd had 24 hours to sober up. It still cost me about two hours of writing and pointing out evidence, and cost my company a bit for the lawyer. If I'd called the cops on him right at the start instead of waiting until after I confronted him, my part would have been done within two minutes and cost the company nothing.
Old 07-20-10, 05:35 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by yater
So apologize.
Hell no.