Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Giro / Tour De France double?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Giro / Tour De France double?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-14, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bici_mania
I am probably in the minority here but I am not at a Contador fan. I think Contador is more like Armstrong than Merckx or any other Saints of yore.

I think Tinkov is writing checks that Contador can't cash but it will probably go a long way to drawing peoples attention to cycling in the upcoming year.

Personally, I am hoping and expecting Nairo Quintana to displace Contador.
What Contador has is a touch of the Merckx attitude of attack even when having a 'good enough' lead. Armstrong seemed in many ways the second coming of Anquetil.
Old 10-10-14, 11:29 AM

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
What Contador has is a touch of the Merckx attitude of attack even when having a 'good enough' lead. Armstrong seemed in many ways the second coming of Anquetil.
Armstrong wasn't afraid to attack in yellow, he won more than his share of mountain stages in his 7 years (by my count, 14 non-ITT or TTT stage wins from 99 through 2005). If anyone was the new Anquetil, it was Indurain, right down to Bugno actually physically looking like he might be related to Poulidor.
Old 10-10-14, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
Armstrong wasn't afraid to attack in yellow, he won more than his share of mountain stages in his 7 years (by my count, 14 non-ITT or TTT stage wins from 99 through 2005). If anyone was the new Anquetil, it was Indurain, right down to Bugno actually physically looking like he might be related to Poulidor.
As far as the cycling skills involved I'd have to agree. As far as attitude I'd say Mig was the man of the people, the role Poulidor filled in the Anquetil/Poulidor rivalry.

Armstrong and Anquetil also match in the way they picked their races, to maximize return. Polar opposites when it came to dietary discipline. I simply can't see Lance having an off day coming out of a rest day because he overindulged in consumption of Lamb. (And even less see him recovering with the help of some Champaign to settle his stomach).
Old 10-10-14, 03:13 PM

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
As far as the cycling skills involved I'd have to agree. As far as attitude I'd say Mig was the man of the people, the role Poulidor filled in the Anquetil/Poulidor rivalry.

Armstrong and Anquetil also match in the way they picked their races, to maximize return. Polar opposites when it came to dietary discipline. I simply can't see Lance having an off day coming out of a rest day because he overindulged in consumption of Lamb. (And even less see him recovering with the help of some Champaign to settle his stomach).
Impossible to compare diets across the generations; those were very different days in terms of food science. You'd never get Tom Simpson washing down his tonedron with a half pint of Hennessy before setting off up the Ventoux today, for instance, but back then they thought nothing of boozing on the route.

Agree that Mig was definitely a People's Champion as much as a Tour Champion. Which is probably a big reason why his era has largely escaped the scrutiny that Armstrong's got. You get the feeling if Bassons or Simeoni had spoken up during the Indurain era, the reaction would have been very different.